Social Science & Medicine
Contact information of Elsevier:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description
To be notified about new items in this series: Free volume/issue alert on ScienceDirect (see also NEP)
Download restrictions: Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
Editor: The email address of this editor does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ellen Annandale to have the entry updated or send us the correct address.
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Wendy Shamier)
Series handle: repec:eee:socmed
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple, Recursive, Discounted, Recursive discounted, H-Index, Aggregate
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
More pages of listings: 0| 1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6| 7| 8| 9| 10| 11| 12| 13| 14| 15| 16| 17| 18| 19| 20| 21| 22| 23| 24| 25| 26| 27| 28| 29| 30| 31| 32| 33| 34| 35| 36| 37| 38| 39| 40| 41| 42| 43| 44| 45| 46| 47| 48| 49| 50| 51| 52| 53| 54| 55| 56| 57
2008, Volume 67, Issue 11
- 1727-1736 Modifiable health risk factors and medical expenditures - The case of Taiwan
by Lin, Tsui-Fang
- 1737-1746 Scientific resistance to research, training and utilization of eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy in treating post-war disorders
by Russell, Mark C.
- 1747-1756 The fetal tissue economy: From the abortion clinic to the stem cell laboratory
by Kent, Julie
- 1757-1765 Representativeness, legitimacy and power in public involvement in health-service management
by Martin, Graham P.
- 1766-1775 Family structure differences in health care utilization among U.S. children
by Gorman, Bridget K. & Braverman, Jennifer
- 1776-1783 General practitioners' experiences and understandings of diagnosing dementia: Factors impacting on early diagnosis
by Hansen, Emily C. & Hughes, Clarissa & Routley, Georgina & Robinson, Andrew L.
- 1784-1788 Doctors' strikes and mortality: A review
by Cunningham, Solveig Argeseanu & Mitchell, Kristina & Venkat Narayan, K.M. & Yusuf, Salim
- 1789-1797 Situated/being situated: Client and co-worker roles of family caregivers in hospice palliative care
by Stajduhar, Kelli I. & Nickel, Dawn D. & Martin, Wanda L. & Funk, Laura
- 1798-1806 Integrating the nurturer-trainer roles: Parental and behavior/symptom management processes for mothers of children with autism
by Tsai, Wen-Che & Tsai, Jia-Ling & Lotus Shyu, Yea-Ing
- 1807-1816 Claiming power through hardship: Initiation narratives of Palestinian traditional women healers in Israel
by Popper-Giveon, Ariela & Ventura, Jonathan
- 1817-1825 "She'll be right"? National identity explanations for poor sexual health statistics in Aotearoa/New Zealand
by Braun, Virginia
- 1826-1836 "So, are you back to work yet?" Re-conceptualizing 'work' and 'return to work' in the context of primary bone cancer
by Parsons, Janet A. & Eakin, Joan M. & Bell, Robert S. & Franche, Renée-Louise & Davis, Aileen M.
- 1837-1846 Understanding, embracing, rejecting: Women's negotiations of disability constructions and categorizations after becoming chronically ill
by Crooks, Valorie A. & Chouinard, Vera & Wilton, Robert D.
- 1847-1851 Cerebral implants and Parkinson's disease: A unique form of biographical disruption?
by Gisquet, Elsa
- 1852-1860 Patient race and physicians' decisions to prescribe opioids for chronic low back pain
by Burgess, Diana Jill & Crowley-Matoka, Megan & Phelan, Sean & Dovidio, John F. & Kerns, Robert & Roth, Craig & Saha, Somnath & van Ryn, Michelle
- 1861-1869 Putting cognitive psychology to work: Improving decision-making in the medical encounter
by Schwab, Abraham P.
- 1870-1881 The contribution of occupational factors to social inequalities in health: Findings from the national French SUMER survey
by Niedhammer, Isabelle & Chastang, Jean-François & David, Simone & Kelleher, Cecily
- 1882-1888 Leaving Las Vegas: Exposure to Las Vegas and risk of suicide
by Wray, Matt & Miller, Matthew & Gurvey, Jill & Carroll, Joanna & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 1889-1897 Male-female differences in the association between socioeconomic status and atherosclerotic risk in adolescents
by Murasko, Jason E.
- 1898-1906 Are Educational Differences in U.S. Self-Rated Health Increasing?: An Examination by Gender and Race
by Liu, Hui & Hummer, Robert A.
- 1907-1916 Change in reciprocity as a predictor of depressive symptoms: A prospective cohort study of Finnish women and men
by Väänänen, Ari & Buunk, Abraham P. & Kivimäki, Mika & Vahtera, Jussi & Koskenvuo, Markku
- 1917-1923 Associations between physical activity, perceptions of the neighbourhood environment and access to facilities in an English city
by Panter, Jenna R. & Jones, Andrew P.
- 1924-1933 International return mobility, learning and knowledge transfer: A case study of Slovak doctors
by Williams, Allan M. & Baláz, Vladimir
2008, Volume 67, Issue 10
- 1481-1491 When there is no doctor: Reasons for the disappearance of primary careÂ physicians in the US during the early 21st century
by McKinlay, John & Marceau, Lisa
- 1492-1496 Oh look, there is a doctor after all: About the resilience of professional medicine: A Commentary on McKinlay and Marceau's 'When there is no doctor'
by Timmermans, Stefan
- 1497-1501 The blindness of those who will not see: On the replacement of primary care doctors in the 21st century. A response to Timmermans
by Marceau, Lisa & McKinlay, John B.
- 1502-1511 Do physicians care about patient choice?
by Winblad, Ulrika
- 1512-1520 Constructing a European healthcare market: The private healthcare company Capio and the strategic aspect of the drive for transparency
by Blomgren, Maria & Sundén, Eva
- 1521-1529 Impact of maternity unit closures on access to obstetrical care: The French experience between 1998 and 2003
by Pilkington, Hugo & Blondel, Béatrice & Carayol, Marion & Breart, Gérard & Zeitlin, Jennifer
- 1530-1540 Behind the scenes in health care improvement: The complex structures and emergent strategies of Implementation Science
by Sobo, Elisa J. & Bowman, Candice & Gifford, Allen L.
- 1541-1549 Stigma in the workplace: Employer attitudes about people with HIV in Beijing, Hong Kong, and Chicago
by Rao, Deepa & Angell, Beth & Lam, Chow & Corrigan, Patrick
- 1550-1558 Crossing two types of implementation intentions with a protection motivation intervention for the reduction of saturated fat intake: A randomized trial
by Prestwich, Andrew & Ayres, Karen & Lawton, Rebecca
- 1559-1570 Can social capital be intentionally generated? A randomized trial from rural South Africa
by Pronyk, Paul M. & Harpham, Trudy & Busza, Joanna & Phetla, Godfrey & Morison, Linda A. & Hargreaves, James R. & Kim, Julia C. & Watts, Charlotte H. & Porter, John D.
- 1571-1579 Imperial or postcolonial governance? Dissecting the genealogy of a global public health strategy
by Brown, Tim & Bell, Morag
- 1580-1588 Race, populations, and genomics: Africa as laboratory
by Braun, Lundy & Hammonds, Evelynn
- 1589-1595 Risk for post-traumatic stress disorder associated with different forms of interpersonal violence in South Africa
by Kaminer, Debra & Grimsrud, Anna & Myer, Landon & Stein, Dan J. & Williams, David R.
- 1596-1603 Long-term effects of organized violence on young Middle Eastern refugees' mental health
by Montgomery, Edith
- 1604-1611 Social context as an explanation for race disparities in hypertension: Findings from the Exploring Health Disparities in Integrated Communities (EHDIC) Study
by Thorpe Jr., Roland J. & Brandon, Dwayne T. & LaVeist, Thomas A.
- 1612-1629 Environmental inequity in England: Small area associations between socio-economic status and environmental pollution
by Briggs, David & Abellan, Juan J. & Fecht, Daniela
- 1630-1640 Gender-specific responses to social determinants associated with self-perceived health in Taiwan: A multilevel approach
by Chen, Duan-Rung & Chang, Ly-Yun & Yang, Meng-Li
2008, Volume 67, Issue 9
- 1341-1342 Changes at Social Science & Medicine
by Annandale, Ellen
- 1343-1355 Media campaigns to promote smoking cessation among socioeconomically disadvantaged populations: What do we know, what do we need to learn, and what should we do now?
by Niederdeppe, Jeff & Kuang, Xiaodong & Crock, Brittney & Skelton, Ashley
- 1356-1358 Examining the evidence base of mass media campaigns for socially disadvantaged populations: What do we know, what do we need to learn, and what should we do now? A commentary on Niederdeppe's article
by Fagan, Pebbles
- 1359-1360 Critical steps in building the evidence base regarding media campaign effects on disadvantaged populations: A response to Fagan
by Niederdeppe, Jeff & Kuang, Xiaodong & Crock, Brittney & Skelton, Ashley
- 1361-1369 Carrier matching and collective socialization in community genetics: Dor Yeshorim and the reinforcement of stigma
by Raz, Aviad E. & Vizner, Yafa
- 1370-1381 An uncertain revolution: Why the rise of a genetic model of mental illness has not increased tolerance
by Schnittker, Jason
- 1382-1390 'Avoiding harm to others' considerations in relation to parental measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccination discussions - An analysis of an online chat forum
by Skea, Zoë C. & Entwistle, Vikki A. & Watt, Ian & Russell, Elizabeth
- 1391-1399 How are patient characteristics relevant for physicians' clinical decision making in diabetes? An analysis of qualitative results from a cross-national factorial experiment
by Lutfey, Karen E. & Campbell, Stephen M. & Renfrew, Megan R. & Marceau, Lisa D. & Roland, Martin & McKinlay, John B.
- 1400-1409 Clinical relationships tested by iatrogenicity: The case of haemophiliac patients faced with the epidemic of transfusional AIDS
by Fillion, Emmanuelle
- 1410-1422 Ethnicity and utilization of family physicians: A case study of Mainland Chinese immigrants in Toronto, Canada
by Wang, Lu & Rosenberg, Mark & Lo, Lucia
- 1423-1433 Social support, material circumstance and health behaviour: Influences on health in First Nation and Inuit communities of Canada
by Richmond, Chantelle A.M. & Ross, Nancy A.
- 1434-1446 Using in-depth qualitative data to enhance our understanding of quantitative results regarding the impact of HIV and AIDS on households in rural Uganda
by Seeley, Janet & Biraro, Samuel & Shafer, Leigh Anne & Nasirumbi, Pamela & Foster, Susan & Whitworth, Jimmy & Grosskurth, Heiner
- 1447-1455 Sex, drugs, and HIV: Rapid assessment of HIV risk behaviors among street-based drug using sex workers in Durban, South Africa
by Needle, Richard & Kroeger, Karen & Belani, Hrishikesh & Achrekar, Angeli & Parry, Charles D. & Dewing, Sarah
- 1456-1464 Marital and cohabitation status as predictors of mortality: A 10-year follow-up of an Italian elderly cohort
by Scafato, Emanuele & Galluzzo, Lucia & Gandin, Claudia & Ghirini, Silvia & Baldereschi, Marzia & Capurso, Antonio & Maggi, Stefania & Farchi, Gino & for the ILSA Working Group
- 1465-1474 Illness representations and coping following an abnormal colorectalÂ cancer screening result
by Orbell, Sheina & O'Sullivan, Ian & Parker, Ron & Steele, Bob & Campbell, Christine & Weller, David
- 1475-1479 Modeling the mental health effects of victimization among homeless persons
by Perron, Brian Edward & Alexander-Eitzman, Ben & Gillespie, David F. & Pollio, David
2008, Volume 67, Issue 8
- 1199-1207 Post-traumatic stress and psychiatric disorders in Palestinian adolescents following intifada-related injuries
by Khamis, Vivian
- 1208-1216 The psychological impact of the Israel-Hezbollah War on Jews and Arabs in Israel: The impact of risk and resilience factors
by Palmieri, Patrick A. & Canetti-Nisim, Daphna & Galea, Sandro & Johnson, Robert J. & Hobfoll, Stevan E.
- 1217-1224 Understanding adjustment following traumatic brain injury: Is the Goodness-of-Fit coping hypothesis useful?
by Kendall, Elizabeth & Terry, Deborah J.
- 1225-1235 HIV-related stigma: Adapting a theoretical framework for use in India
by Steward, Wayne T. & Herek, Gregory M. & Ramakrishna, Jayashree & Bharat, Shalini & Chandy, Sara & Wrubel, Judith & Ekstrand, Maria L.
- 1236-1246 Community factors affecting rising caesarean section rates in developing countries: An analysis of six countries
by Leone, Tiziana & Padmadas, Sabu S. & Matthews, Zoë
- 1247-1257 Socioeconomic domains and associations with preterm birth
by Messer, Lynne C. & Vinikoor, Lisa C. & Laraia, Barbara A. & Kaufman, Jay S. & Eyster, Janet & Holzman, Claudia & Culhane, Jennifer & Elo, Irma & Burke, Jessica G. & O'Campo, Patricia
- 1258-1268 Does place explain racial health disparities? Quantifying the contribution of residential context to the Black/white health gap in the United States
by Do, D. Phuong & Finch, Brian Karl & Basurto-Davila, Ricardo & Bird, Chloe & Escarce, Jose & Lurie, Nicole
- 1269-1281 Recent changes in the geography of social disparities in premature mortality in Québec
by Pampalon, Robert & Hamel, Denis & Gamache, Philippe
- 1282-1290 Is caring associated with an increased risk of mortality? A longitudinal study
by O'Reilly, Dermot & Connolly, Sheelah & Rosato, Michael & Patterson, Chris
- 1291-1299 Life sustaining irritations? Relationship quality and mortality in the context of chronic illness
by Birditt, Kira & Antonucci, Toni C.
- 1300-1310 Differential effect of birthplace and length of residence on body mass index (BMI) by education, gender and race/ethnicity
by Sanchez-Vaznaugh, Emma V. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Subramanian, S.V. & Sánchez, Brisa N. & Acevedo-Garcia, Dolores
- 1311-1320 Kidney disease and the cumulative burden of life course socioeconomic conditions: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study
by Shoham, David A. & Vupputuri, Suma & Kaufman, Jay S. & Kshirsagar, Abhijit V. & Diez Roux, Ana V. & Coresh, Josef & Heiss, Gerardo
- 1321-1330 Gender differences in relationships between social capital and individual smoking and drinking behavior in Taiwan
by Chuang, Ying-Chih & Chuang, Kun-Yang
- 1331-1339 Test of the 'healthy migrant hypothesis': A longitudinal analysis of health selectivity of internal migration in Indonesia
by Lu, Yao
2008, Volume 67, Issue 7
- 1047-1055 The habitus of hygiene: Discourses of cleanliness and infection control in nursing work
by Brown, Brian & Crawford, Paul & Nerlich, Brigitte & Koteyko, Nelya
- 1056-1064 Is my sick child healthy? Is my healthy child sick?: Changing parental experiences of cystic fibrosis in the age of expanded newborn screening
by Grob, Rachel
- 1065-1073 Are drug treatment services only for 'thieving junkie scumbags'? Drug users and the management of stigmatised identities
by Radcliffe, Polly & Stevens, Alex
- 1074-1082 Weaving meaning? An exploration of the interplay between lay and professional understandings of cervical cancer risk
by Armstrong, Natalie & Murphy, Elizabeth
- 1083-1093 'I really tried': Management of normative issues in accounts ofÂ responsesÂ to infertility
by de Kok, Bregje Christina & Widdicombe, Sue
- 1094-1103 Forty days and forty nights: A biocultural perspective on postpartum practices in the Amazon
by Piperata, Barbara Ann
- 1104-1112 The social construction of surrogacy research: An anthropological critique of the psychosocial scholarship on surrogate motherhood
by Teman, Elly
- 1113-1121 Older people's views of a good death in heart failure: Implications for palliative care provision
by Gott, M. & Small, Neil & Barnes, Sarah & Payne, Sheila & Seamark, David
- 1122-1132 Assessing the effectiveness of interventions to promote advance directives among older adults: A systematic review and multi-level analysis
by Bravo, Gina & Dubois, Marie-France & Wagneur, Bernard
- 1133-1142 Discourses of disease, discourses of disadvantage: A critical analysis of National Pandemic Influenza Preparedness Plans
by Garoon, Joshua P. & Duggan, Patrick S.
- 1143-1152 Where there's a will, is there a way?: Is New Zealand's publicly funded health sector able to steer towards population health?
by Tenbensel, Tim & Cumming, Jacqueline & Ashton, Toni & Barnett, Pauline
- 1153-1163 Family practice: Professional identity in transition. A case study of family medicine in Canada
by Beaulieu, Marie-Dominique & Rioux, Marc & Rocher, Guy & Samson, Louise & Boucher, Laurier
- 1164-1172 Evaluating the impact of eligibility for free care on the use of general practitioner (GP) services: A difference-in-difference matching approach
by Nolan, Anne
- 1173-1182 Dynamic process of adverse selection: Evidence from a subsidized community-based health insurance in rural China
by Zhang, Licheng & Wang, Hong
- 1183-1189 Insurance covered and non-covered complementary and alternative medicine utilisation among adults in Taiwan
by Shih, Shu-Fang & Lew-Ting, Chih-Yin & Chang, Hsing-Yi & Kuo, Ken N.
- 1190-1198 Welfarism, extra-welfarism and capability: The spread of ideas in health economics
by Coast, Joanna & Smith, Richard D. & Lorgelly, Paula
2008, Volume 67, Issue 6
- 891-899 Small area inequalities in health: Are we underestimating them?
by Stafford, Mai & Duke-Williams, Oliver & Shelton, Nicola
- 900-914 Do poorer people have poorer access to local resources and facilities? The distribution of local resources by area deprivation in Glasgow, Scotland
by Macintyre, Sally & Macdonald, Laura & Ellaway, Anne
- 915-927 Individual factors explain neighbourhood variations in accidents to children under 5 years of age
by Reading, Richard & Jones, Andrew & Haynes, Robin & Daras, Konstantinos & Emond, Alan
- 928-937 Cancer survival in New Zealand: Ethnic, social and geographical inequalities
by Haynes, Robin & Pearce, Jamie & Barnett, Ross
- 938-946 Creating intoxigenic environments: Marketing alcohol to young people in Aotearoa New Zealand
by McCreanor, Tim & Barnes, Helen Moewaka & Kaiwai, Hector & Borell, Suaree & Gregory, Amanda
- 947-955 Is the duration of poverty and unemployment a risk factor for heavy drinking?
by Mossakowski, Krysia N.
- 956-964 Going ill to work - What personal circumstances, attitudes and work-related factors are associated with sickness presenteeism?
by Hansen, Claus D. & Andersen, Johan H.
- 965-970 The impact of systematic occupational health and safety management for occupational disorders and long-term work attendance
by Dellve, Lotta & Skagert, Katrin & Eklöf, Mats
- 971-981 Relationship of socioeconomic status to C-reactive protein and arterial stiffness in urban Japanese civil servants
by Saijo, Yasuaki & Yoshioka, Eiji & Fukui, Tomonori & Kawaharada, Mariko & Kishi, Reiko
- 982-987 Do social comparisons explain the association between income inequality and health?: Relative deprivation and perceived health among male and female Japanese individuals
by Kondo, Naoki & Kawachi, Ichiro & Subramanian, S.V. & Takeda, Yasuhisa & Yamagata, Zentaro
- 988-1001 Explaining gender differences in ill-health in South Korea: The roles of socio-structural, psychosocial, and behavioral factors
by Chun, Heeran & Khang, Young-Ho & Kim, Il-Ho & Cho, Sung-Il
- 1002-1008 Informal and formal care for elderly persons: How adult children's characteristics affect the use of formal care in Japan
by Hanaoka, Chie & Norton, Edward C.
- 1009-1017 How important are individual, household and commune characteristics in explaining utilization of maternal health services in Vietnam?
by Sepehri, Ardeshir & Sarma, Sisira & Simpson, Wayne & Moshiri, Saeed
- 1018-1027 Understanding a collaborative effort to reduce racial and ethnic disparities in health care: Contributions from social network analysis
by Gold, Marsha & Doreian, Patrick & Taylor, Erin Fries
- 1028-1037 Doing' public health and 'making' public health practitioners: Putting policy into practice in 'Starting Well
by Mackenzie, Mhairi
- 1038-1045 An exploration of food intolerance in the primary care setting: The general practitioner's experience
by Nelson, Mia & Ogden, Jane
2008, Volume 67, Issue 5
- 685-695 Ethics and the ethnography of medical research in Africa
by Molyneux, Sassy & Geissler, P. Wenzel
- 696-707 'He is now like a brother, I can even give him some blood' - Relational ethics and material exchanges in a malaria vaccine 'trial community' in The Gambia
by Geissler, P. Wenzel & Kelly, Ann & Imoukhuede, Babatunde & Pool, Robert
- 708-720 Taking social relationships seriously: Lessons learned from the informed consent practices of a vaccine trial on the Kenyan Coast
by Gikonyo, Caroline & Bejon, Philip & Marsh, Vicki & Molyneux, Sassy
- 721-733 Beginning community engagement at a busy biomedical research programme: Experiences from the KEMRI CGMRC-Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Kilifi, Kenya
by Marsh, Vicki & Kamuya, Dorcas & Rowa, Yvonne & Gikonyo, Caroline & Molyneux, Sassy
- 734-747 Promoting the social value of research in Kenya: Examining the practical aspects of collaborative partnerships using an ethical framework
by Lairumbi, Geoffrey Mbaabu & Molyneux, Sassy & Snow, Robert W. & Marsh, Kevin & Peshu, Norbert & English, Mike
- 748-759 The interface between research and policy: Experience from South Africa
by Gilson, Lucy & McIntyre, Di
- 760-770 The research, policy and practice interface: Reflections on using applied social research to promote equity in health in Malawi
by Theobald, Sally & Nhlema-Simwaka, Bertha
- 771-779 Ethical dilemmas of social science research on AIDS and orphanhood in Western Kenya
by Nyambedha, Erick Otieno
- 780-789 "I know he controls cancer": The meanings of religion among Black Caribbean and White British patients with advanced cancer
by Koffman, Jonathan & Morgan, Myfanwy & Edmonds, Polly & Speck, Peter & Higginson, Irene J.
- 790-798 HIV/AIDS-related stigma and discrimination: Accounts of HIV-positive Caribbean people in the United Kingdom
by Anderson, Moji & Elam, Gillian & Gerver, Sarah & Solarin, Ijeoma & Fenton, Kevin & Easterbrook, Philippa
- 799-807 Vulnerability, gender and "proxy negativity": Women in relationships with HIV-positive men in Australia
by Persson, Asha & Richards, Wendy
- 808-816 The weaker sex? Exploring lay understandings of gender differences in life expectancy: A qualitative study
by Emslie, Carol & Hunt, Kate
- 817-823 Seeking refuge from violence in street-based drug scenes: Women's experiences in North America's first supervised injection facility
by Fairbairn, Nadia & Small, Will & Shannon, Kate & Wood, Evan & Kerr, Thomas
- 824-833 Racial disparity in bacterial vaginosis: the role of socioeconomic status, psychosocial stress, and neighborhood characteristics, and possible implications for preterm birth
by Paul, Kathleen & Boutain, Doris & Manhart, Lisa & Hitti, Jane
- 834-843 Caring for independent lives: Geographies of caring for young adults with intellectual disabilities
by Power, Andrew
- 844-853 Coping with the Asian tsunami: Perspectives from Tamil Nadu, India on the determinants of resilience in the face of adversity
by Rajkumar, Anto P. & Premkumar, Titus S. & Tharyan, Prathap
- 854-862 The persistent problem of malaria: Addressing the fundamental causes of a global killer
by Stratton, Leeanne & O'Neill, Marie S. & Kruk, Margaret E. & Bell, Michelle L.
- 863-873 BCG vaccination and WHO's global strategy for tuberculosis control 1948-1983
by Brimnes, Niels
- 874-882 Valuing the ICECAP capability index for older people
by Coast, Joanna & Flynn, Terry N. & Natarajan, Lucy & Sproston, Kerry & Lewis, Jane & Louviere, Jordan J. & Peters, Tim J.
- 883-889 Comparison of two methods of eliciting time preference for future health states
by van der Pol, Marjon & Cairns, John
2008, Volume 67, Issue 4
- 487-496 Determinants of provider choice for malaria treatment: Experiences from The Gambia
by Wiseman, Virginia & Scott, Anthony & Conteh, Lesong & McElroy, Brendan & Stevens, Warren
- 497-504 Differences in influence patterns between groups predicting the adoption of a solar disinfection technology for drinking water in Bolivia
by Moser, Stephanie & Mosler, Hans-Joachim
- 505-510 Should we have confidence if a physician is accredited? A study of the relative impacts of accreditation and insurance payments on quality of care in the Philippines
by Quimbo, Stella A. & Peabody, John W. & Shimkhada, Riti & Woo, Kimberly & Solon, Orville
- 511-519 Health costs from short-term exposure to pesticides in Nepal
by Atreya, Kishor
- 520-528 Interaction of working conditions, job satisfaction, and sickness absences: Evidence from a representative sample of employees
by Böckerman, Petri & Ilmakunnas, Pekka
- 529-539 The association of major depressive episodes with income inequality and the human development index
by Cifuentes, Manuel & Sembajwe, Grace & Tak, SangWoo & Gore, Rebecca & Kriebel, David & Punnett, Laura
- 540-545 Predictors of female worker attitudes towards menstruation and the provision of help to institutionalized women with intellectual disabilities in Taiwan
by Chou, Yueh-Ching & Lu, Zxy-yann J. & Pu, Cheng-yun & Lan, Chung-Fu
- 546-556 Perceptions of medical interactions between healthcare providers and American Indian older adults
by Garroutte, Eva Marie & Sarkisian, Natalia & Goldberg, Jack & Buchwald, Dedra & Beals, Janette
- 557-567 The effects of harassment and victimization on self-rated health and mental health among Canadian adolescents
by Abada, Teresa & Hou, Feng & Ram, Bali
- 568-582 Actual or potential neighborhood resources and access to them: Testing hypotheses of social capital for the health of female caregivers
by Carpiano, Richard M.
- 583-589 Caregivers' experiences of caring for a husband with Parkinson's disease and psychotic symptoms
by Williamson, Caroline & Simpson, Jane & Murray, Craig D.
- 590-605 Health in China and India: A cross-country comparison in a context of rapid globalisation
by Dummer, Trevor J.B. & Cook, Ian G.
- 606-617 Social capital and self-rated health: Results from the US 2006 social capital survey of one community
by Schultz, Jennifer & O'Brien, A. Maureen & Tadesse, Bedassa
- 618-627 The impact of over-the-counter availability of "Plan B" on teens' contraceptive decision making
by Krishnamurti, Tamar & Eggers, Sara L. & Fischhoff, Baruch
- 628-637 Effectiveness of web-based education on Kenyan and Brazilian adolescents' knowledge about HIV/AIDS, abortion law, and emergency contraception: Findings from TeenWeb
by Halpern, Carolyn Tucker & Mitchell, Ellen M.H. & Farhat, Tilda & Bardsley, Phil
- 638-646 Religious treatments for drug addiction: An exploratory study in Brazil
by Sanchez, Zila van der Meer & Nappo, Solange A.
- 647-656 Dying cancer patients talk about euthanasia
by Eliott, Jaklin A. & Olver, Ian N.
- 657-665 Beliefs about common health problems and work: A qualitative study
by Barnes, Maria Carla & Buck, Rhiannon & Williams, Gareth & Webb, Katie & Aylward, Mansel
- 666-672 Longitudinal studies to detect geneÂ xÂ environment interactions in common disease - Bang for your buck? A commentary on Chaufan's "How much can a large population study on genes, environments, their interactions and common diseases contribute to the health of the American people?" (65:8, 1730-1741(2007))
by Robertson, Stephen & Poulton, Richie
- 673-674 A letter response to Chaufan's "How much can a large population study on genes, environments, their interactions and common diseases contribute to the health of the American people?" (65:8, 2007, 1730-1741)
by Tuckson, Reed V. & Willard, Huntington F.
- 675-683 In search of "genetic predispositions" to common diseases: Bang for your buck? Not really. A response to Robertson and Poulton, and Tuckson and Willard
by Chaufan, Claudia
2008, Volume 67, Issue 3
- 351-357 Stigma, prejudice, discrimination and health
by Stuber, Jennifer & Meyer, Ilan & Link, Bruce
- 358-367 Stigma and prejudice: One animal or two?
by Phelan, Jo C. & Link, Bruce G. & Dovidio, John F.
- 368-379 Social patterning of stress and coping: Does disadvantaged social statuses confer more stress and fewer coping resources?
by Meyer, Ilan H. & Schwartz, Sharon & Frost, David M.
- 380-388 Stigma, social inequality, and HIV risk disclosure among Dominican male sex workers
by Padilla, Mark & Castellanos, Daniel & Guilamo-Ramos, Vincent & Reyes, Armando Matiz & Sánchez Marte, Leonardo E. & Soriano, Martha Arredondo
- 389-397 Church ladies, good girls, and locas: Stigma and the intersection of gender, ethnicity, mental illness, and sexuality in relation to HIV risk
by Collins, Pamela Y. & von Unger, Hella & Armbrister, Adria
- 398-408 'Face' and the embodiment of stigma in China: The cases of schizophrenia and AIDS
by Yang, Lawrence Hsin & Kleinman, Arthur
- 409-419 Stigma and coercion in the context of outpatient treatment for people with mental illnesses
by Link, Bruce & Castille, Dorothy M. & Stuber, Jennifer
- 420-430 Smoking and the emergence of a stigmatized social status
by Stuber, Jennifer & Galea, Sandro & Link, Bruce G.
- 431-440 Rethinking theoretical approaches to stigma: A Framework Integrating Normative Influences on Stigma (FINIS)
by Pescosolido, Bernice A. & Martin, Jack K. & Lang, Annie & Olafsdottir, Sigrun
- 441-452 Perceived discrimination, race and health in South Africa
by Williams, David R. & Gonzalez, Hector M. & Williams, Stacey & Mohammed, Selina A. & Moomal, Hashim & Stein, Dan J.
- 453-462 Reasons for disclosing depression matter: The consequences of having egosystem and ecosystem goals
by Garcia, Julie A. & Crocker, Jennifer
- 463-472 Stigma and the ethics of public health: Not can we but should we
by Bayer, Ronald
- 473-475 Stigma, ethics and policy: A commentary on Bayer's "Stigma and the ethics of public health: Not can we but should we"
by Burris, Scott
- 476-477 What means this thing called stigma? A response to Burris
by Bayer, Ronald
- 478-486 Disparities and distrust: The implications of psychological processes for understanding racial disparities in health and health care
by Dovidio, John F. & Penner, Louis A. & Albrecht, Terrance L. & Norton, Wynne E. & Gaertner, Samuel L. & Shelton, J. Nicole
2008, Volume 67, Issue 2
- 205-217 The sequelae of political violence: Assessing trauma, suffering and dislocation in the Peruvian highlands
by Pedersen, Duncan & Tremblay, Jacques & Errázuriz, Consuelo & Gamarra, Jeffrey
- 218-227 Debating war-trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in an interdisciplinary arena
by Kienzler, Hanna
- 228-237 "Feeling blue" in Spanish: A qualitative inquiry of depression among Mexican immigrants
by Lackey, Gerald F.
- 238-252 Abortion and anxiety: What's the relationship?
by Steinberg, Julia Renee & Russo, Nancy F.
- 253-261 Conflict rationalisation: How family members cope with a diagnosis of brain stem death
by Long, Tracy & Sque, Magi & Addington-Hall, Julia
- 262-270 The elementary forms of care: An empirical approach to ethics in a South African Hospital
by Fassin, Didier
- 271-279 Consequences of a decentralized healthcare governance model: Measuring regional authority support for patient choice in Sweden
by Fredriksson, Mio & Winblad, Ulrika
- 280-291 Partnerships in primary care in Australia: Network structure, dynamics and sustainability
by Lewis, Jenny M. & Baeza, Juan I. & Alexander, Damon
- 292-300 District-based malaria epidemic early warning systems in East Africa: Perceptions of acceptability and usefulness among key staff at health facility, district and central levels
by Jones, Caroline & Abeku, Tarekegn A. & Rapuoda, Beth & Okia, Michael & Cox, Jonathan
- 301-310 The relationship of acceptance or denial of HIV-status to antiretroviral adherence among adult HIV patients in urban Botswana
by Nam, Sara L. & Fielding, Katherine & Avalos, Ava & Dickinson, Diana & Gaolathe, Tendani & Geissler, P. Wenzel
- 311-320 Mobilizing collective identity to reduce HIV risk among sex workers in Sonagachi, India: The boundaries, consciousness, negotiation framework
by Ghose, Toorjo & Swendeman, Dallas & George, Sheba & Chowdhury, Debasish
- 321-329 Social norms information enhances the efficacy of an appearance-based sun protection intervention
by Mahler, Heike I.M. & Kulik, James A. & Butler, Heather A. & Gerrard, Meg & Gibbons, Frederick X.
- 330-340 Socioeconomic status and health: The role of subjective social status
by Demakakos, Panayotes & Nazroo, James & Breeze, Elizabeth & Marmot, Michael
- 341-349 Measuring the school impact on child obesity
by Procter, Kimberley L. & Rudolf, Mary C. & Feltbower, Richard G. & Levine, Ronnie & Connor, Anne & Robinson, Michael & Clarke, Graham P.
2008, Volume 67, Issue 1
- 1-9 Framing disease: An underappreciated mechanism for the social patterning of health
by Aronowitz, Robert
- 10-13 A case of old wine in re-labeled bottles? A commentary on Aronowitz
by Kunitz, Stephen J.
- 14-17 Out from under the skin: Disease etiology, biology and society: A commentary on Aronowitz
by Fullwiley, Duana
- 18-19 Revisiting labeling theory and health: A commentary on Aronowitz
by Nathanson, Constance
- 20-22 Rejoinder to commentaries on "Framing disease: an underappreciated mechanism for the social patterning of health"
by Aronowitz, Robert
- 23-30 Pathways to depression: The impact of neighborhood violent crime on inner-city residents in Baltimore, Maryland, USA
by Curry, Aaron & Latkin, Carl & Davey-Rothwell, Melissa
- 31-37 Does neighborhood violence lead to depression among caregivers of children with asthma?
by Tonorezos, Emily S. & Breysse, Patrick N. & Matsui, Elizabeth C. & McCormack, Meredith C. & Curtin-Brosnan, Jean & Williams, D'Ann & Hansel, Nadia N. & Eggleston, Peyton A. & Diette, Gregory B.
- 38-46 An examination of processes linking perceived neighborhood disorder and obesity
by Burdette, Amy M. & Hill, Terrence D.
- 47-56 Shifting accountability: A longitudinal qualitative study of diabetes causation accounts
by Lawton, Julia & Peel, Elizabeth & Parry, Odette & Douglas, Margaret
- 57-67 Illness experience in fibromyalgia syndrome: A metasynthesis of qualitative studies
by Sim, Julius & Madden, Sue
- 68-78 Health, healing and recovery: Therapeutic landscapes and the everyday lives of breast cancer survivors
by English, Jennifer & Wilson, Kathi & Keller-Olaman, Sue
- 79-87 The meaning of the survivor identity for women with breast cancer
by Kaiser, Karen
- 88-100 The effects of household joblessness on mental health
by Scutella, Rosanna & Wooden, Mark
- 101-110 Export of health services from developing countries: The case of Tunisia
by Lautier, Marc
- 111-121 What do people value when they provide unpaid care for an older person? A meta-ethnography with interview follow-up
by Al-Janabi, Hareth & Coast, Joanna & Flynn, Terry N.
- 122-127 Transitions into informal caregiving and out of paid employment of women in their 50s
by Berecki-Gisolf, Janneke & Lucke, Jayne & Hockey, Richard & Dobson, Annette
- 128-136 The two facets of electronic care surveillance: An exploration of the views of older people who live with monitoring devices
by Essén, Anna
- 137-146 What influences referrals within community palliative care services? A qualitative case study
by Walshe, Catherine & Chew-Graham, Carolyn & Todd, Chris & Caress, Ann
- 147-151 Are 'anonymous' and 'non-directed' prerequisites for living altruistic donation? The views of transplant physicians from France and Québec
by Fortin, Marie-Chantal & Dion-Labrie, Marianne & Hébert, Marie-Josée & Achille, Marie & Doucet, Hubert
- 152-160 Contending visions in the evolution of genetic medicine: The case of cancer genetic services in Ontario, Canada
by Miller, Fiona Alice & Giacomini, Mita & Ahern, Catherine
- 161-164 Reducing child mortality in Nigeria: A case study of immunization and systemic factors
by Ngowu, Rufus & Larson, James S. & Kim, Min Su
- 165-176 Who's talking? Communication between health providers and HIV-infected adults related to herbal medicine for AIDS treatment in western Uganda
by Langlois-Klassen, Deanne & Kipp, Walter & Rubaale, Tom
- 177-182 Using 'complexity' for improving educational research in health care
by Cooper, Helen & Geyer, Robert
- 183-194 Tacit and encoded knowledge in the use of standardised outcome measures in multidisciplinary team decision making: A case study of in-patient neurorehabilitation
by Greenhalgh, Joanne & Flynn, Rob & Long, Andrew F. & Tyson, Sarah
- 195-203 Qualitative research and the politics of knowledge in an age of evidence: Developing a research-based practice of immanent critique
by Mykhalovskiy, Eric & Armstrong, Pat & Armstrong, Hugh & Bourgeault, Ivy & Choiniere, Jackie & Lexchin, Joel & Peters, Suzanne & White, Jerry
2008, Volume 66, Issue 12
- 2391-2400 Age and the balance of emotions
by Ross, Catherine E. & Mirowsky, John
- 2401-2412 Comparing sense of coherence, depressive symptoms and anxiety, and their relationships with health in a population-based study
by Konttinen, Hanna & Haukkala, Ari & Uutela, Antti
- 2413-2424 Azúcar y nervios: Explanatory models and treatment experiences of Hispanics with diabetes and depression
by Cabassa, Leopoldo J. & Hansen, Marissa C. & Palinkas, Lawrence A. & Ell, Kathleen