An equality test across nonparametric regressions
AbstractA procedure for testing equality across nonparametric regressions is proposed. The procedure allows for any dimension of the explanatory variables and for any number of subsamples. We consider the case of random explanatory variables and allow the designs of the regressors and the number of observations to dier across subsamples. The division into subsamples is defined through a variable C which can be either fixed or random. In the case of a random C, our procedure is a general test of significance for qualitative variables in a nonparametric regression. In the case of a fixed C, our procedure provides a 'nonparametric analysis of covariance'. In both case, the test is a one-sided normal test and is consistent against all alternatives. We study its small sample behavior through Monte-Carlo simulations. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes in its series SFB 373 Discussion Papers with number 1998,79.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Nonparametric regression; Hypothesis testing; Qualitative variables; Covariance analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Delgado, Miguel A., 1993. "Testing the equality of nonparametric regression curves," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 199-204, June.
- Lavergne, Pascal & Vuong, Quang, 1998.
"Nonparametric significance testing,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1998,75, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- King, Eileen & Hart, Jeffrey D. & Wehrly, Thomas E., 1991. "Testing the equality of two regression curves using linear smoothers," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 239-247, September.
- Li, Qi, 1999. "Consistent model specification tests for time series econometric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 101-147, September.
- Lavergne, Pascal & Vuong, Quang H, 1996.
"Nonparametric Selection of Regressors: The Nonnested Case,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 207-19, January.
- Lavergne, P. & Vuong, Q., 1992. "Nonparametric Selection of Regressors : the Nonnested Case," Papers, Southern California - Department of Economics 9204, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Powell, James L & Stock, James H & Stoker, Thomas M, 1989. "Semiparametric Estimation of Index Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1403-30, November.
- Aït-Sahalia, Yacine. & Bickel, Peter J. & Stoker, Thomas M., 1994. "Goodness-of-fit tests for regression using kernel methods," Working papers 3747-94., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1984. "Panel data," Handbook of Econometrics, Elsevier, in: Z. Grilichesâ€ & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1247-1318 Elsevier.
- Hall, Peter, 1984. "Central limit theorem for integrated square error of multivariate nonparametric density estimators," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Fan, Yanqin & Li, Qi, 1996. "Consistent Model Specification Tests: Omitted Variables and Semiparametric Functional Forms," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 865-90, July.
- Yatchew, A., 1999. "An elementary nonparametric differencing test of equality of regression functions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 271-278, March.
- Delgado, Miguel A & Mora, Juan, 1995. "Nonparametric and Semiparametric Estimation with Discrete Regressors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 63(6), pages 1477-84, November.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Hidalgo, Javier & Li, Qi, 1996. "A nonparametric test for poolability using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 345-367, December.
- John Xu Zheng, 1996. "A consistent test of functional form via nonparametric estimation techniques," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 263-289, December.
- Li, Qi & Hsiao, Cheng & Zinn, Joel, 2003. "Consistent specification tests for semiparametric/nonparametric models based on series estimation methods," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 295-325, February.
- Sokbae Lee & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2009.
"Nonparametric Tests of Conditional Treatment Effects,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University
1740, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Sokbae 'Simon' Lee & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2009. "Nonparametric tests of conditional treatment effects," CeMMAP working papers, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies CWP36/09, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Wenceslao GonzÃ¡lez-Manteiga & Rosa Crujeiras, 2013. "An updated review of Goodness-of-Fit tests for regression models," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 361-411, September.
- Gao, Jiti, 2007. "Nonlinear time series: semiparametric and nonparametric methods," MPRA Paper 39563, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2007.
- Pascal Lavergne & Valentin Patilea, 2006.
"Breaking the Curse of Dimensionality in Nonparametric Testing,"
Working Papers, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique
2006-24, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Lavergne, Pascal & Patilea, Valentin, 2008. "Breaking the curse of dimensionality in nonparametric testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 103-122, March.
- Scholz, Achim & Neumeyer, Natalie & Munk, Axel, 2004. "Nonparametric Analysis of Covariance : the Case of Inhomogeneous and Heteroscedastic Noise," Technical Reports 2004,28, Technische UniversitÃ¤t Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: KomplexitÃ¤tsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Srihera, Ramidha & Stute, Winfried, 2010. "Nonparametric comparison of regression functions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 101(9), pages 2039-2059, October.
- Sun, Y., 2003.
"A Consistent Nonparametric Equality Test of Conditional Quantile Functions,"
Working Papers, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance
2003-10, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Sun, Yiguo, 2006. "A Consistent Nonparametric Equality Test Of Conditional Quantile Functions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(04), pages 614-632, August.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355.
- Lavergne, Pascal & Maistre, Samuel & Patilea, Valentin, 2014. "A Significance Test for Covariates in Nonparametric Regression," TSE Working Papers, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE) 14-502, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Gao, Jiti & King, Maxwell, 2003. "Estimation and model specification testing in nonparametric and semiparametric econometric models," MPRA Paper 11989, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2006.
- Ian Christensen & Fuchun Li, 2013. "A Semiparametric Early Warning Model of Financial Stress Events," Working Papers, Bank of Canada 13-13, Bank of Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.