Nonparametric Significance Testing
AbstractA procedure for testing the significance of a subset of explanatory variables in a nonparametric regression is proposed. Our test statistic uses the kernel method. Under the null hypothesis of no effect of the variables under test, we show that our test statistic has an nhp2/2 standard normal limiting distribution, where p2 is the dimension of the complete set of regressors. Our test is one-sided, consistent against all alternatives and detects local alternatives approaching the null at rate slower than n 1/2h p2/4. Our Monte-Carlo experiments indicate that it outperforms the test proposed by Fan and Li (1996, Econometrica 64, 865 890).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 16 (2000)
Issue (Month): 04 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Other versions of this item:
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lavergne, Pascal, 1998.
"An equality test across nonparametric regressions,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1998,79, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Delgado, Michael S. & Henderson, Daniel J. & Parmeter, Christopher F., 2012.
"Does Education Matter for Economic Growth?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7089, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Bickel, Peter J. & Stoker, Thomas M., 2001. "Goodness-of-fit tests for kernel regression with an application to option implied volatilities," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 363-412, December.
- Nianqing Liu & Quang Vuong & Haiqing Xu, 2012. "Rationalization and Identification of Discrete Games with Correlated Types," Department of Economics Working Papers 130915, The University of Texas at Austin, Department of Economics.
- Pascal Lavergne & Valentin Patilea, 2006.
"Breaking the Curse of Dimensionality in Nonparametric Testing,"
2006-24, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Lavergne, Pascal & Patilea, Valentin, 2008. "Breaking the curse of dimensionality in nonparametric testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 103-122, March.
- Su, Liangjun & White, Halbert, 2007.
"A consistent characteristic function-based test for conditional independence,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 807-834, December.
- Su, Liangjun & White, Halbert, 2003. "A Consistent Characteristic-Function-Based Test for Conditional Independence," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt4dv0837f, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Gozalo, Pedro L. & Linton, Oliver B., 2001. "Testing additivity in generalized nonparametric regression models with estimated parameters," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 1-48, August.
- Paulo Parente & Richard Smith, 2012. "Exogeneity in semiparametric moment condition models," CeMMAP working papers CWP30/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Li, Dong & Li, Qi, 2010. "Nonparametric/semiparametric estimation and testing of econometric models with data dependent smoothing parameters," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(1), pages 179-190, July.
- Gao, Jiti & King, Maxwell, 2003. "Estimation and model specification testing in nonparametric and semiparametric econometric models," MPRA Paper 11989, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2006.
- Henderson, Daniel J. & Papageorgiou, Chris & Parmeter, Christopher F., 2008. "Are any growth theories linear? Why we should care about what the evidence tells us," MPRA Paper 8767, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hall, Peter & Yatchew, Adonis, 2005. "Unified approach to testing functional hypotheses in semiparametric contexts," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 225-252, August.
- : Daniel J. Henderson & Chris Papageorgiou & Christopher F. Parmeter, 2012.
"Who Benefits from Financial Development? New Methods, New Evidence,"
2013-07, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Henderson, Daniel J. & Papageorgiou, Chris & Parmeter, Christopher F., 2013. "Who benefits from financial development? New methods, new evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 47-67.
- Juhl, Ted & Xiao, Zhijie, 2005. "A nonparametric test for changing trends," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 179-199, August.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355.
- Gao, Jiti & Tong, Howell & Wolff, Rodney, 2002. "Model Specification Tests in Nonparametric Stochastic Regression Models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 324-359, November.
- Euwals, R.W. & Melenberg, B. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 1997.
"Testing the Predicitive Value of Subjective Labour Supply Data,"
1997-25, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Rob Euwals & Bertrand Melenberg & Arthur van Soest, 1998. "Testing the predictive value of subjective labour supply data," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(5), pages 567-585.
- Oliver Linton & Pedro Gozalo, 1995. "Testing Additivity in Generalized Nonparametric Regression Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1106, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Gao, Jiti, 2007. "Nonlinear time series: semiparametric and nonparametric methods," MPRA Paper 39563, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.