Testing the equality of nonparametric regression curves
AbstractThis paper proposes a test for the equality of nonparametric regression curves that does not depend on the choice of a smoothing number. The test statistic resembles in spirit the Kolmogorov-Smirnov statistic and it is easy to compute. It is powerful under alternatives that converge to the null hypothesis at a rate n-1/2. The disturbance distributions are arbitrary and possibly unequal, and conditions on the regressors distribution are very mild. A Monte Carlo study illustrates the performance of the test in small and moderate samples. We also study extensions to multiple regression, and test the equality of several regression curves.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 17 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ignacio N. Lobato, 2000. "A Consistent Test for the Martingale Difference Assumption," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0278, Econometric Society.
- Espinosa Alejos, María Paz & Ciarreta Antuñano, Aitor, 2004.
"Market Power in the Spanish Electricity Auction,"
DFAEII Working Papers
2005-04, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Aitor Ciarreta & María Paz Espinosa, 2003. "Market Power In The Spanish Wholesale Electricity Market," Working Papers. Serie AD 2003-22, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Scholz, Achim & Neumeyer, Natalie & Munk, Axel, 2004. "Nonparametric Analysis of Covariance : the Case of Inhomogeneous and Heteroscedastic Noise," Technical Reports 2004,28, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Li, Qi & Hsiao, Cheng & Zinn, Joel, 2003. "Consistent specification tests for semiparametric/nonparametric models based on series estimation methods," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 295-325, February.
- Srihera, Ramidha & Stute, Winfried, 2010. "Nonparametric comparison of regression functions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(9), pages 2039-2059, October.
- Dette, Holger & Neumeyer, Natalie, 2000. "Nonparametric analysis of covariance," Technical Reports 2000,42, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Dette, Holger & Neumeyer, Natalie, 2000. "Nonparametric comparison of regression curves - an empirical process approach," Technical Reports 2000,62, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Park Joon Y. & Whang Yoon-Jae, 2005.
"A Test of the Martingale Hypothesis,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 9(2), pages 1-32, June.
- Park, Cheolwoo & Kang, Kee-Hoon, 2008. "SiZer analysis for the comparison of regression curves," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(8), pages 3954-3970, April.
- E. Guerre & Pascal Lavergne, 2000. "Minimax Rates for Nonparametric Specification Testing in Regression Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0644, Econometric Society.
- Lavergne, Pascal, 2001.
"An equality test across nonparametric regressions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 307-344, July.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355.
- Gørgens, Tue, 2002. "Nonparametric comparison of regression curves by local linear fitting," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 81-89, November.
- Holger Dette & Axel Munk, 1998. "A Simple Goodness-of-fit Test for Linear Models Under a Random Design Assumption," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 50(2), pages 253-275, June.
- Yatchew, A., 1999. "An elementary nonparametric differencing test of equality of regression functions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 271-278, March.
- Scheike, Thomas H., 2000. "Comparison of non-parametric regression functions through their cumulatives," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 21-32, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.