Minimax Rates for Nonparametric Specification Testing in Regression Models
AbstractWe deal with the issue of testing the specification of a regression function. As a leading case, we consider testing for a pure noise model. We study the smallest local alternatives that can be detected asymptotically in a minimax sense. We propose a simple testing procedure that has asymptotic optimal minimax properties for regular alternatives. We then adapt this procedure to testing the specification of a nonlinear parametric regression model. As a by-product, we obtain the rate of the optimal smoothing parameter that ensures optimal minimax properties for the test. We show that, by contrast, non-smoothing tests, such as Bierens' (1982) integrated conditional moment test, have undesirable minimax properties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers with number 0644.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Delgado, Miguel A., 1993. "Testing the equality of nonparametric regression curves," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 199-204, June.
- Joel Horowitz, 2000. "An Adaptive, Rate-Optimal Test of a Parametric Model Against a Nonparametric Alternative," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0166, Econometric Society.
- Emmanuel Guerre & Pascal Lavergne, 2001. "Rate-optimal data-driven specification testing in regression models," Econometrics 0107001, EconWPA.
- Emmanuel Guerre & Pascal Lavergne, 2004. "Data-Driven Rate-Optimal Specification Testing In Regression Models," Econometrics 0411008, EconWPA.
- Richard Blundell & Joel L. Horowitz, 2007.
"A Non-Parametric Test of Exogeneity,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 74(4), pages 1035-1058.
- Joel Horowitz & Sokbae 'Simon' Lee, 2007.
"Testing a parametric quantile-regression model with an endogenous explanatory variable against a nonparametric alternative,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP02/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Lee, Sokbae, 2009. "Testing a parametric quantile-regression model with an endogenous explanatory variable against a nonparametric alternative," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 141-152, October.
- Andrea Vaona, 2008. "The sensitivity of nonparametric misspecification tests to disturbance autocorrelation," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 0803, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano & Kyungchul Song, 2007. "Asymptotically Optimal Tests for Single-Index Restrictions with a Focus on Average Partial Effects," PIER Working Paper Archive 07-005, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Spokoiny, Vladimir G., 2000. "An Adaptive, Rate-Optimal Test of Linearity for Median Regression Models," Working Papers 00-04, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Manuel A. Dominguez & Ignacio N. Lobato, 2001. "A Consistent Test for the Martingale Difference Hypothesis," Working Papers 0101, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.