An Adaptive, Rate-Optimal Test of a Parametric Model Against a Nonparametric Alternative
AbstractThis paper describes a new test of a parametric model of a conditional mean function against a nonparametric alternative. The test adapts to the unknown smoothness of the alternative model and is uniformly consistent against alternatives whose distance from the parametric model converges to zero at the fastest possible rate. This rate is slower than n-1/2. Some existing tests have non-trivial power against restricted classes of alternatives whose distance from the parametric model decreases at the rate n-1/2. There are, however, sequences of alternatives against which these tests are inconsistent and ours is consistent. As a consequence, there are alternative models for which the finite-sample power of our test greatly exceeds that of existing tests. This conclusion is illustrated by the results of some Monte Carlo experiments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers with number 0166.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Emmanuel Guerre & Pascal Lavergne, 2001. "Rate-optimal data-driven specification testing in regression models," Econometrics 0107001, EconWPA.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano & Kyungchul Song, 2007. "Asymptotically Optimal Tests for Single-Index Restrictions with a Focus on Average Partial Effects," PIER Working Paper Archive 07-005, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Ignacio N. Lobato, 2000. "A Consistent Test for the Martingale Difference Assumption," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0278, Econometric Society.
- Emmanuel Guerre & Pascal Lavergne, 2004. "Data-Driven Rate-Optimal Specification Testing In Regression Models," Econometrics 0411008, EconWPA.
- E. Guerre & Pascal Lavergne, 2000. "Minimax Rates for Nonparametric Specification Testing in Regression Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0644, Econometric Society.
- Emanuela Ciapanna & Marco Taboga, 2011. "Bayesian analysis of coefficient instability in dynamic regressions," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 836, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- repec:ner:toulou:http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr/2611/ is not listed on IDEAS
- Dette, Holger & Hetzler, Benjamin, 2004. "Specification tests indexed by bandwidths," Technical Reports 2004,48, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- repec:ner:toulou:http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr/2610/ is not listed on IDEAS
- Yanqin Fan & Qi Li, 2002. "A Consistent Model Specification Test Based On The Kernel Sum Of Squares Of Residuals," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(3), pages 337-352.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.