The sensitivity of nonparametric misspecification tests to disturbance autocorrelation
AbstractWe show that some nonparametric specification tests can be robust to disturbance autocorrelation. This robustness can be affected by the specification of the true model and by the sample size. Once applied to the prediction of changes in the Euro Repo rate by means of an index based on ECB wording, we find that the least sensitive nonparametric tests can have a comparable performance to a RESET test with robust standard errors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by USI Università della Svizzera italiana in its series Quaderni della facoltà di Scienze economiche dell'Università di Lugano with number 0803.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 11 Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.library.lu.usi.ch
nonparametric misspecification tests; serial correlation; central bank communication.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2008-05-24 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2008-05-24 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-MAC-2008-05-24 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-ORE-2008-05-24 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 1998.
"A Simple Framework for Nonparametric Specification Testing,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0234, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ellison, Glenn & Ellison, Sara Fisher, 2000. "A simple framework for nonparametric specification testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 1-23, May.
- Ellison, G. & Ellison, F., 1993. "A Simple Framework for Non-Parametric Specification Testing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1662, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Hsiao, Cheng & Li, Qi & Racine, Jeffrey S., 2007.
"A consistent model specification test with mixed discrete and continuous data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 802-826, October.
- Cheng Hsiao & Qi Li & Jeff Racine, 2006. "A Consistent Model Specification Test with Mixed Discrete and Continuous Data," IEPR Working Papers 06.47, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Rosa, Carlo & Verga, Giovanni, 2007. "On the consistency and effectiveness of central bank communication: Evidence from the ECB," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 146-175, March.
- E. Guerre & Pascal Lavergne, 2000. "Minimax Rates for Nonparametric Specification Testing in Regression Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0644, Econometric Society.
- Emmanuel Guerre & Pascal Lavergne, 2004.
"Data-Driven Rate-Optimal Specification Testing In Regression Models,"
- Guerre, Emmanuel & Lavergne, Pascal, 2005. "Data-driven rate-optimal specification testing in regression models," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Guerre, Emmanuel & Lavergne, Pascal, 2002. "Optimal Minimax Rates For Nonparametric Specification Testing In Regression Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(05), pages 1139-1171, October.
- Guay, Alain & Guerre, Emmanuel, 2006. "A Data-Driven Nonparametric Specification Test For Dynamic Regression Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(04), pages 543-586, August.
- Siu Fai Leung & Shihti Yu, 2001. "The sensitivity of the RESET tests to disturbance autocorrelation in regression analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 721-726.
- Lawrence Dacuycuy, 2006. "On the finite sampling properties of the Zheng test for omitted and irrelevant variable problems," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(11), pages 681-684.
- Lawrence Dacuycuy, 2005. "A note on the comparative performance of the Zheng and Elisson-Elisson tests for omitted variables in regression models," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(21), pages 1-6.
- Escanciano, J. Carlos, 2006.
"A Consistent Diagnostic Test For Regression Models Using Projections,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(06), pages 1030-1051, December.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano, 2005. "A Consistent Diagnostic Test for Regression Models Using Projections," Faculty Working Papers 09/05, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Bierens, Herman J, 1990.
"A Consistent Conditional Moment Test of Functional Form,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1443-58, November.
- Bierens, H.J., 1989. "A consistent conditional moment test of functional form," Serie Research Memoranda 0064, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- John Xu Zheng, 1996. "A consistent test of functional form via nonparametric estimation techniques," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 263-289, December.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2005:i:21:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Miles, Daniel & Mora, Juan, 2003.
"On the performance of nonparametric specification tests in regression models,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 477-490, March.
- Juan Mora & Daniel Miles, 2002. "On The Performance Of Nonparametric Specification Tests In Regression Models," Working Papers. Serie AD 2002-13, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alessio Tutino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.