A Consistent Model Specification Test Based On The Kernel Sum Of Squares Of Residuals
AbstractThis paper constructs a consistent model specification test based on the difference between the nonparametric kernel sum of squares of residuals and the sum of squares of residuals from a parametric null model. We establish the asymptotic normality of the proposed test statistic under the null hypothesis of correct parametric specification and show that the wild bootstrap method can be used to approximate the null distribution of the test statistic. Results from a small simulation study are reported to examine the finite sample performance of the proposed tests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Econometric Reviews.
Volume (Year): 21 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/LECR20
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- Cla - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
- Num - Economic History - - - - -
- : -
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yatchew, Adonis John, 1992. "Nonparametric Regression Tests Based on Least Squares," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 435-451, December.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1996.
"A Conditional Kolmogorov Test,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1111R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bierens, H.J., 1989.
"A consistent conditional moment test of functional form,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0064, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Bierens, Herman J, 1990. "A Consistent Conditional Moment Test of Functional Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1443-58, November.
- de Jong, Robert M., 1996. "The Bierens test under data dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 1-32.
- Joel Horowitz, 2000. "An Adaptive, Rate-Optimal Test of a Parametric Model Against a Nonparametric Alternative," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0166, Econometric Society.
- Bierens, Herman J., 1982. "Consistent model specification tests," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 105-134, October.
- Delgado, Miguel A & Stengos, Thanasis, 1994. "Semiparametric Specification Testing of Non-nested Econometric Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 291-303, April.
- Li, Q. & Wang, Suojin, 1998. "A simple consistent bootstrap test for a parametric regression function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 145-165, August.
- Herman J. Bierens & Werner Ploberger, 1997.
"Asymptotic Theory of Integrated Conditional Moment Tests,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1129-1152, September.
- Bierens, H.J. & Ploberger, W., 1995. "Asymptotic theory of integrated conditional moment tests," Discussion Paper 1995-124, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Fan, Yanqin & Li, Qi, 2000. "Consistent Model Specification Tests," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(06), pages 1016-1041, December.
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Consistent Nonparametric Entropy-Based Testing," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 437-53, May.
- Robinson, P M, 1989. "Hypothesis Testing in Semiparametric and Nonparametric Models for Econometric Time Series," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 511-34, October.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1995. "Consistent nonparametric hypothesis tests with an application to Slutsky symmetry," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 379-401, June.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1992. "A Test for Functional Form Against Nonparametric Alternatives," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 452-475, December.
- Aman Ullah & Tae-Hwy Lee, 2000. "Nonparametric Bootstrap Tests for Neglected Nonlinearity in Time Series Regression Models," Working papers 77, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- John Xu Zheng, 1996. "A consistent test of functional form via nonparametric estimation techniques," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 263-289, December.
- Hall, Peter, 1984. "Central limit theorem for integrated square error of multivariate nonparametric density estimators," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
- Lavergne, Pascal & Vuong, Quang H, 1996.
"Nonparametric Selection of Regressors: The Nonnested Case,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 207-19, January.
- Lavergne, P. & Vuong, Q., 1992. "Nonparametric Selection of Regressors : the Nonnested Case," Papers 9204, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 1999. "Consistent hypothesis testing in semiparametric and nonparametric models for econometric time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 373-401, August.
- Hong, Yongmiao & White, Halbert, 1995. "Consistent Specification Testing via Nonparametric Series Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1133-59, September.
- Aït-Sahalia, Yacine. & Bickel, Peter J. & Stoker, Thomas M., 1994. "Goodness-of-fit tests for regression using kernel methods," Working papers 3747-94., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Xu, Ke-Li, 2013. "Powerful tests for structural changes in volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 126-142.
- Dette, Holger & Hetzler, Benjamin, 2004. "Specification tests indexed by bandwidths," Technical Reports 2004,48, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355.
- E Fe-Rodriguez & C D Orme, 2005. "The Asymptotic Equivalence of Kernel-based Nonparametric Conditional Moment Test Statistics," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0504, Economics, The University of Manchester.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.