The Determinants of Venture Capital: Additional Evidence
AbstractThis paper attempts to identify and evaluate the main determinants of venture capital (VC). We develop a theoretical model where macroeconomic conditions, technological opportunity, and the entrepreneurial environment affect the demand and supply of VC. The quantitative results, based on a panel dataset of 16 OECD countries from 1990 to 2000, show that VC intensity is pro-cyclical. Interest rates affect more the demand side of VC (entrepreneurs) than the supply side. Indicators of technological opportunity, such as the stock of knowledge and the number of triadic patents affect positively and significantly the relative level of VC. Labour market rigidities reduce the impact of the GDP growth rate and of the stock of knowledge, whereas a minimum level of entrepreneurship is required in order to have a positive effect of the available stock of knowledge on VC intensity. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre in its series Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies with number 2004,19.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Venture Capital; Technological Opportuniy; Entrepreneurship; Labour Market Regidities;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
- Jeng, Leslie A. & Wells, Philippe C., 2000. "The determinants of venture capital funding: evidence across countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 241-289, September.
- James M. Poterba, 1988.
"Venture Capital and Capital Gains Taxation,"
508, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno & Romain, Astrid, 2004.
"The Economic Impact of Venture Capital,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2004,18, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Astrid Romain & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2004. "The economic impact of venture capital," Working Papers CEB 04-014.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Romain, Astrid & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno van, 2003. "The Economic Impact of Venture Capital," IIR Working Paper 03-20, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Hellmann, Thomas F. & Puri, Manju, 2000.
"Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-up Firms: Empirical Evidence,"
1661, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Thomas Hellmann & Manju Puri, 2002. "Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-Up Firms: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 169-197, 02.
- Manigart, Sophie & De Waele, Koen & Wright, Mike & Robbie, Ken & Desbrieres, Philippe & Sapienza, Harry J. & Beekman, Amy, 2002.
"Determinants of required return in venture capital investments: a five-country study,"
Journal of Business Venturing,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 291-312, July.
- Philippe Desbrières & Sophie Manigart & Koen De Waele & Mike Wright & Ken Robbie & Harry Sapienza & Amy Beekman, 2002. "Determinants of required return in venture capital investments:A five country study," Working Papers FARGO 1020701, Université de Bourgogne - Crego EA 7317/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
- José Martí Pellón & Marina Balboa, 2001. "Determinants Of Private Equity Fundraising In Western Europe," Working Papers. Serie AD 2001-15, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- N. Berger, Allen & F. Udell, Gregory, 1998.
"The economics of small business finance: The roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 613-673, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1998. "The economics of small business finance: the roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Engel, Dirk, 2002. "The Impact of Venture Capital on Firm Growth: An Empirical Investigation," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-02, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Schertler, Andrea, 2003.
"Driving Forces of Venture Capital Investments in Europe: A Dynamic Panel Data Analysis,"
EIFC - Technology and Finance Working Papers
27, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Andrea Schertler, 2003. "Driving Forces of Venture Capital Investments in Europe: A Dynamic Panel Data Analysis," Kiel Working Papers 1172, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Hellmann, Thomas & Puri, Manju, 2000. "The Interaction between Product Market and Financing Strategy: The Role of Venture Capital," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 959-84.
- Paul Gompers & Josh Lerner, 2001. "The Venture Capital Revolution," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 145-168, Spring.
- Schertler, Andrea & Tykvová, Tereza, 2011.
"Venture capital and internationalization,"
International Business Review,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 423-439, August.
- Kerstin Bernoth & Roberta Colavecchio & Magdolna Sass, 2010.
"Drivers of Private Equity Investment in CEE and Western European Countries,"
Working Paper / FINESS
3.5, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Kerstin Bernoth & Roberta Colavecchio & Magdolna Sass, 2010. "Drivers of Private Equity Investment in CEE and Western European Countries," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1002, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Schertler, Andrea & Tykvová, Tereza, 2010.
"What lures cross-border venture capital inflows?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
10-001, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Hirukawa, Masayuki & Ueda, Masako, 2008. "Venture Capital and Innovation: Which is First?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7090, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karim Chaabouni, 2011. "Determinants And Legitimacy Of Venture Capital Financing: An Empirical Verification," Anadolu University Journal of Social Sciences, Anadolu University, vol. 11(1), pages 27-38, January.
- Tykvová, Tereza & Schertler, Andrea, 2011. "Cross-border venture capital flows and local ties: Evidence from developed countries," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 36-48, February.
- Scharler, Johann & Stiglbauer, Alfred & Janger, Jürgen, 2006. "The Potential Growth Prospects of the Austrian Economy — Methods and Determinants," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 24â52.
- Andrea Schertler, 2007. "Knowledge Capital and Venture Capital Investments: New Evidence from European Panel Data," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8, pages 64-88, 01.
- ANT Bozkaya & William R. Kerr, 2009.
"Labor Regulations and European Private Equity,"
Working Papers CEB
09-055.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Samila, Sampsa & Sorenson, Olav, 2010. "Venture capital as a catalyst to commercialization," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1348-1360, December.
- Bozkaya, Ant & Kerr, William R., 2013. "Labor regulations and European venture capital," Research Discussion Papers 30/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Márcia Siqueira Rapini, 2009. "Sistemas financeiros e o financiamento à inovação: algumas reflexões para o Brasil," Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG td367, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.