The Impact of Venture Capital on Firm Growth: An Empirical Investigation
AbstractThe financial and non-financial involvement of venture capitalists is supposed to be positively correlated with firm performance. This paper deals with the evaluation of the impact of venture capitalists on employment growth of new founded firms. Differences between high-tech and low-tech industries as well as the impact of other investors are analyzed. The estimation results show that surviving venture-backed firms realize higher growth rates compared to surviving non-venture-backed firms. Moreover, venture capitalists are more able to push the firms to a faster and higher employment growth than other investors. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 02-02.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Venture Capital; Start-ups; Employment Growth; Selection Bias; Evaluation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice and Growth, Financing, Investment, and Capacity
- L21 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Business Objectives of the Firm
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sapienza, Harry J., 1992. "When do venture capitalists add value?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 9-27, January.
- Bürgel, Oliver & Fier, Andreas & Licht, Georg & Murray, Gordon, 2000. "Internationalisation of high-tech start-ups and fast growth-evidence for UK and Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-35, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Goux, Dominique & Maurin, Eric, 2000. "Returns to firm-provided training: evidence from French worker-firm matched data1," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1998.
"The economics of small business finance: the roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1998-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- N. Berger, Allen & F. Udell, Gregory, 1998. "The economics of small business finance: The roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 613-673, August.
- Engel, Dirk, 2001.
"Höheres Beschäftigungswachstum durch Venture Capital?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
01-34, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Dirk Engel, 2003. "Höheres Beschäftigungswachstum durch Venture Capital?," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 223(1), pages 1-22.
- P. Hart, 2000. "Theories of Firms' Growth and the Generation of Jobs," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 229-248, November.
- Jeng, Leslie A. & Wells, Philippe C., 2000. "The determinants of venture capital funding: evidence across countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 241-289, September.
- Timmons, Jeffry A. & Bygrave, William D., 1986. "Venture capital's role in financing innovation for economic growth," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 161-176.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Almus, Matthias & Engel, Dirk & Prantl, Susanne, 2000. "The Mannheim Foundation Panels of the Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW)," ZEW Dokumentationen 00-02, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Almus, Matthias, 2001. "Evaluating the impact of public start-up assistance: results from an econometric approach," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-23, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Heckman, James J. & Lalonde, Robert J. & Smith, Jeffrey A., 1999. "The economics and econometrics of active labor market programs," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1865-2097 Elsevier.
- Samuel Kortum & Josh Lerner, 1998. "Does Venture Capital Spur Innovation?," NBER Working Papers 6846, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Binks, Martin R & Ennew, Christine T, 1996. " Growing Firms and the Credit Constraint," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 17-25, February.
- Reize, Frank, 2001. "FIML estimation of a bivariate probit selection rule: an application on firm growth and subsidisation," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-13, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Amit, Raphael & Brander, James & Zott, Christoph, 1998. "Why do venture capital firms exist? theory and canadian evidence," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 441-466, November.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Valérie Revest & Sandro Sapio, 2008. "Financing Technology-Based Small Firms in Europe: a review of the empirical evidence," LEM Papers Series 2008/23, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Hirukawa, Masayuki & Ueda, Masako, 2008. "Venture Capital and Innovation: Which is First?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7090, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christian Schröder, 2009. "Financial System and Innovations: Determinants of Early Stage Venture Capital in Europe," EIIW Discussion paper disbei167, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- Lazarevski, Dimche & Mrsik, Jadranka & Smokvarski, Edi, 2012. "Evolution of the venture capital financing for growing small and medium enterprises in Central and Eastern Europe countries: the case of Macedonia," MPRA Paper 41997, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tykvová, Tereza, 2004. "Who Are the True Venture Capitalists in Germany?," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-16, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Romain, Astrid & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno van, 2003.
"The Determinants of Venture Capital: A Panel Data Analysis of 16 OECD Countries,"
IIR Working Paper
03-25, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Astrid Romain & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2004. "The determinants of venture capital: a panel data analysis of 16 OECD countries," Working Papers CEB 04-015.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Izabela Pruchnicka-Grabias, 2008. "Private Equity in Poland and in Other Countries of Central and Eastern Europe – the Present State – and Perspectives – for the Future," Romanian Economic Journal, Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest, vol. 11(30), pages 59-75, (4).
- Andrea Schertler, 2007. "Knowledge Capital and Venture Capital Investments: New Evidence from European Panel Data," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8, pages 64-88, 01.
- Christian Schröder, 2009. "Financial System and Innovations-Determinants of Early Stage Venture Capital in Europe," Schumpeter Discussion Papers sdp09004, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno & Romain, Astrid, 2004. "The Determinants of Venture Capital: Additional Evidence," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2004,19, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Bertoni, Fabio & Colombo, Massimo G. & Grilli, Luca, 2011. "Venture capital financing and the growth of high-tech start-ups: Disentangling treatment from selection effects," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 1028-1043, September.
- Hirukawa, Masayuki & Ueda, Masako, 2008. "Venture Capital and Industrial ''Innovation''," CEPR Discussion Papers 7089, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.