Evolution of the Spanish Urban Structure During the Twentieth Century
AbstractIn this paper we analyse the evolution of the Spanish urban structure during the period 1900-1999. The methodology employed allows us to obtain two main results. First, that this evolution has not been homogenous, with a divergent pattern of growht being identified for the period running from 1900 to 1970, and a convergent one for the period from 1970 to 1999. Secondly, that the intradistribution movements in the Spanish urban hierarchy were very significant during the course of the 20th century. Apart from these two results, we have also detected the existence of spatial correlation for those cities that have either lost or acquired population during the period in question.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad de Zaragoza in its series Documentos de Trabajo with number dt2002-01.
Date of creation: Jan 2002
Date of revision:
Spanish urban structure; Zipf's law; Markov chains;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Danny Ben-Shahar & Eyal Sulganik, 2011. "Vacancy chains and the degree of mobility in the housing market," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 569-583, December.
- Rafael González-Val & Daniel A. Tirado-Fabregat & Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal, 2013.
"Market potential and city growth: Spain 1860-1960,"
2013/13, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Rafael González-Val & Daniel A. Tirado Fabregat & Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal, 2013. "Market potential and city growth : Spain 1860-1960," Working Papers in Economic History wp13-04, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
- Goerlich, Francisco José & Mas, Matilde, 2009. "Drivers of Agglomeration: geography VS. History," MPRA Paper 15802, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2009.
- Sueli Moro & Reginaldo J. Santos, 2013. "The characteristics and evolution of the Brazilian spatial urban system: empirical evidences for the long-run, 1970-2010," Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG 474, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Daniel ARRIBAS-BEL & Fernando SANZ GRACIA & Domingo P. XIMENEZ-DE-EMBUN, 2012. "Kangaroos, Cities And Space: A First Approach To The Australian Urban System," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 36, pages 165-187.
- M. T. Aparicio & I. Villanúa, 2012. "Selection criteria for overlapping binary Models," Documentos de Trabajo dt2012-01, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad de Zaragoza.
- Julie Gallo & Coro Chasco, 2008.
"Spatial analysis of urban growth in Spain, 1900–2001,"
Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 59-80, February.
- Julie Le Gallo & Coro Chasco-Yrigoyen, 2006. "Spatial Analysis of Urban Growth in Spain (1900-2001)," ERSA conference papers ersa06p878, European Regional Science Association.
- Raúl Serrano & Vicente Pinilla, 2013. "New directions of trade for the agri-food industry: a disaggregated approach for different income countries, 1963-2000," Documentos de Trabajo dt2013-02, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad de Zaragoza.
- Rafael González-Val & Marcos Sanso-Navarro, 2010.
"Gibrat’s law for countries,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 1371-1389, September.
- repec:asg:wpaper:1011 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vicente Pinilla).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.