Credit Market Regulations Changes And Labor Market Decisions
AbstractIn this paper, we examine whether the imperfections in the credit market spill over to the labor market. We examine the case of a country that experienced a very high degree of imperfections in the financial markets, but underwent substantial changes in 1992 due to the liberalization brought by the European unification and other institutional changes. Italy is therefore a good laboratory to study the effects of the financial markets on the labor market. Examining the period 1989-1993, we find that labor market decisions are influenced by household debt commitments, and, in particular, by constraints in the mortgage market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY in its series CHILD Working Papers with number wp22_01.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2001
Date of revision:
credit constraints; female labor market Participation.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J2 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor
- D9 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio, 1991. "Intergenerational transfers and capital market imperfections : Evidence from a cross-section of Italian households," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 103-120, January.
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Chakraborty, Shankha, 2003.
"What Do Information Frictions Do?,"
Staff General Research Papers
10254, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Shankha Chakraborty & Joydeep Bhattacharya, 2004. "What do information frictions do?," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 41, Econometric Society.
- Joydeep Bhattacharya & Shankha Chakraborty, 2003. "What do Information Frictions do?," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2003-4, University of Oregon Economics Department.
- Bhattacharya, J. & Chankraborty, S., 2003. "What do Information Frictions Do?," Discussion Paper 2003-21, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Landorno).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.