The Euro – When and how: three perspectives
AbstractIn view of the institutional and economic magnitude of Eurozone enlargement, the effects on EU member states – old members as well as new – may in no way be taken lightly. It is, therefore, important to repeatedly confront the issue: “When and how to introduce the euro”. In essence, there are two scenarios for the timing of Eurozone enlargement: “rapid and extensive” or “gradual and slower”. The article presents three different perspectives for looking at both problems: the perspective of accession economies, the European perspective, and the standpoint of researchers who tried to contribute the results of their empirical studies to the overall discussion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 0403005.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: 03 Mar 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - ; pages: 10. The English version of the paper published in Proceedings from the Series of economic seminars (2003) Czech Economic Society, Prague [in Czech].
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Enlargement Euro area Accession countries Monetary policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-03-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2004-03-07 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2004-03-07 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2004-03-07 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katerina Smidkova & Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland, 2002.
"Estimates of Fundamental Real Exchange Rates for the Five EU Pre-Accession Countries,"
2002/03, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Kateřina Šmídková & Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland, 2003. "Estimates of fundamental real exchange rates for the five eu pre-accession countries," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2003(4).
- Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland & Katerina Smidkova, 2003. "Estimates of Fundamental Real Echange Rates for the Five EU Pre- Accession Countries," Macroeconomics 0303016, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.