Nascent Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs in Germany. Evidence from the Regional Entrepreneurship Monitor (REM)
AbstractUsing a large recent representative sample of the adult German population this paper demonstrates that nascent necessity and nascent opportunity entrepreneurs are different with respect to some of the characteristics and attitudes considered to be important for becoming a nascent entrepreneur, and that they behave differently. Given the lack of longitudinal data, however, we have no information about the performance of entrepreneurs from both groups in the longer run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Labor and Demography with number 0506004.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 07 Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 25
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Necessity entrepreneurship; opportunity entrepreneurship; Germany; REM;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J - Labor and Demographic Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lazear, Edward, 2003. "Entrepreneurship," IZA Discussion Papers 760, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- King, Gary & Zeng, Langche, 2001. "Explaining Rare Events in International Relations," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 55(03), pages 693-715, June.
- Parker,Simon C., 2004.
"The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521828130, November.
- Parker,Simon C., 2006. "The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521030632, November.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1979. "A General Equilibrium Entrepreneurial Theory of Firm Formation Based on Risk Aversion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 719-48, August.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
- Edward P. Lazear, 2004. "Balanced Skills and Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 208-211, May.
- Evans, David S & Leighton, Linda S, 1989. "Some Empirical Aspects of Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 519-35, June.
- Block, Joern & Sandner, Philipp & Spiegel, Frank, 2009. "Do risk attitudes differ within the group of entrepreneurs?," MPRA Paper 17587, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Werner, Arndt & Faulenbach, Nicole, 2008. "Das Gründungsverhalten Älterer: Eine empirische Analyse mit den Daten des Gründerpanels des IfM Bonn," IfM-Materialien 184, IfM - Institut für Mittelstandsforschung Bonn.
- Werner, Arndt, 2011. "Abbruch und Aufschub von Gründungsvorhaben: Eine empirische Analyse mit den Daten des Gründerpanels des IfM Bonn," IfM-Materialien 209, IfM - Institut für Mittelstandsforschung Bonn.
- Jörn Block & Philipp Sandner, 2009.
"Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs and Their Duration in Self-employment: Evidence from German Micro Data,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
191, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Jörn Block & Philipp Sandner, 2009. "Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs and Their Duration in Self-employment: Evidence from German Micro Data," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 117-137, June.
- Block, Jörn H. & Sandner, Philipp G., 2007. "Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs and their Duration in Self-employment: Evidence from German Micro Data," Discussion Papers in Business Administration 2082, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
- Joern H. Block & Marcus Wagner, 2010.
"Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs in Germany: Characteristics and Earning s Differentials,"
Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr),
LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 62(2), pages 154-174, April.
- Block, Joern & Wagner, Marcus, 2006. "Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs in Germany: Characteristics and Earnings Differentials," MPRA Paper 610, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Block, Joern & Sandner, Philipp, 2006. "The Effect of Motivation on Self-Employment Duration in Germany: Necessity versus Opportunity Entrepreneurs," MPRA Paper 215, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giacomin, Olivier & Janssen, Frank & Guyot, Jean-luc & Lohest, Olivier, 2011. "Opportunity and/or necessity entrepreneurship? The impact of the socio-economic characteristics of entrepreneurs," MPRA Paper 29506, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.