Vertical Restraints and Parallel Imports with Differentiated Products
AbstractA monopoly selling in two countries can use exclusive or competitive retailers to distribute its product. A low wholesale price in one country might induce a retailer to resell the good for profit in the other country, generating thereby parallel imports which compete with the authorized sales. Assuming that consumers consider the authorized good to be of higher quality than the parallel import, we show that it is often in the interest of the manufacturer to encourage the availability of parallel imported goods. We study equilibrium price strategies for the manufacturer as reflected in the chosen vertical contracts. We show that when the arbitrage cost is relatively low and the authorized good and the parallel import are poor substitutes, manufacturer's profits can be higher when parallel imports are allowed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Industrial Organization with number 0401006.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: 14 Jan 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 42
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
parallel imports; vertical restraints; product differentiation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L42 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Vertical Restraints; Resale Price Maintenance; Quantity Discounts
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-01-18 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Malueg, David A. & Schwartz, Marius, 1994.
"Parallel imports, demand dispersion, and international price discrimination,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(3-4), pages 167-195, November.
- Malueg, D.A. & Schwartz, M., 1993. "Parallel Imports, Demand Dispersion and International Price Discrimination," Papers 93-6, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Anderson, Simon P & Ginsburgh, Victor A, 1999.
"International Pricing with Costly Consumer Arbitrage,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 126-39, February.
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & GINSBURGH, Victor A., . "International pricing with costly consumer arbitrage," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1373, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Maskus, Keith E. & Yongmin Chen, 2000.
"Vertical price control and parallel imports - theory and evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2461, The World Bank.
- Keith E. Maskus & Yongmin Chen, 2004. "Vertical Price Control and Parallel Imports: Theory and Evidence," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 551-570, 09.
- repec:att:wimass:9508 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nancy T. Gallini & Aidan Hollis, 1996.
"A Contractual Approach to the Gray Market,"
gallini-96-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Reza Ahmadi & B. Rachel Yang, 2000. "Parallel Imports: Challenges from Unauthorized Distribution Channels," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(3), pages 279-294, March.
- J. S. Chard & C. J. Mellor, 1989. "Intellectual Property Rights and Parallel Imports," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 69-84, 03.
- Motta, Massimo, 1993. "Endogenous Quality Choice: Price vs. Quantity Competition," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 113-31, June.
- Keith E. Maskus, 2000. "Parallel Imports," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(9), pages 1269-1284, 09.
- Raymond J. Deneckere & R. Preston McAfee, 1996.
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(2), pages 149-174, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.