Deposit insurance and international bank deposits
AbstractThis paper examines how international depositors respond to national deposit insurance policies. Countries with explicit deposit insurance are found to be relatively attractive to international non-bank depositors. Deposit schemes characterized by coinsurance, a private administration, and a low deposit insurance premium appear to be particularly favored by these depositors. The sensitivity of non-bank deposits to deposit insurance policies opens up the possibility of international regulatory competition in this area. The EU directive on deposit insurance imposes minimum standards on national deposit insurance policies. This directive, however, is silent on several important features of deposit insurance such as the level of the deposit insurance premium. Hence, it may not preclude regulatory competition in Europe.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Finance with number 0302001.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 18 Feb 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; prepared on IBM PC - PC-TEX/UNIX Sparc TeX; to print on HP/PostScript/Franciscan monk; pages: 36 ; figures: included. Working paper - European Commission
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
deposit insurance; international deposit;
Other versions of this item:
- Harry Huizinga & Ga�tan Nicod�me, 2002. "Deposit insurance and international bank deposits," European Economy - Economic Papers 164, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Huizinga, Harry & Nicodeme, Gaetan, 2003. "Deposit Insurance and International Bank Deposits," CEPR Discussion Papers 3244, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-02-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2003-02-24 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-IAS-2003-02-24 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2003-02-24 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997.
"Legal Determinants of External Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
5879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997. "Legal Determinants of External Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1788, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Legal Determinants of External Finance," Working Paper 19443, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- RAFAEL LaPORTA & FLORENCIO LOPEZ-de-SILANES & ANDREI SHLEIFER & ROBERT W. VISHNY, . "Legal Determinants of External Finance,"," CRSP working papers 324, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Huizinga, Harry & Nicodeme, Gaetan, 2004.
"Are international deposits tax-driven,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(6), pages 1093-1118, June.
- H. Huizinga & Ga�tan Nicod�me, 2001. "Are international deposits tax-driven?," European Economy - Economic Papers 152, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Huizinga, H.P. & Nicodeme, G., 2004. "Are international deposits tax-driven?," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-142606, Tilburg University.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asl1 & Huizinga, Harry, 1999.
"Market discipline and financial safety net design,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2183, The World Bank.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2000. "Does Deposit Insurance Increase Banking System Stability?," IMF Working Papers 00/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Gropp, R. & Vesala, J., 2001.
"Deposit Insurance and Moral Hazard: Does the Counterfactual Matter?,"
47, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Gropp, Reint & Vesala, Jukka, 2001. "Deposit insurance and moral hazard: does the counterfactual matter?," Working Paper Series 0047, European Central Bank.
- repec:fth:eeccco:152 is not listed on IDEAS
- Reszat, Beate, 2003. "How has the European Monetary Integration Process Contributed to Regional Financial Market Integration?," HWWA Discussion Papers 221, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Engineer, Merwan H. & Schure, Paul & Gillis, Mark, 2013.
"A positive analysis of deposit insurance provision: Regulatory competition among European Union countries,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 530-544.
- Merwan Engineer & Paul Schure & Mark Gillis, 2012. "A Positive Analysis of Deposit Insurance Provision: Regulatory Competition Among European Union Countries," Working Paper Series 29_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Heinrich, Gregor, 2007.
"El seguro de depósito dentro de la red de seguridad financiera
[Deposit insurance within the financial safety-net]," MPRA Paper 47444, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kalina Dimitrova & Nikolay Nenovsky, 2003. "Assurance des dépôts bancaires durant l’accession à l’UE," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 72(3), pages 123-140.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Kalina Dimitrova, 2003. "Deposit Insurance During EU Accession," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-617, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Schüler, Martin, 2003. "How Do Banking Supervisors Deal with Europe-wide Systemic Risk?," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-03, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Huizinga, H.P., 2003. "Comment on 'European banking, past, present, and future'," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-148675, Tilburg University.
- Harry Huizinga, 2004.
"The Taxation of Banking in an Integrating Europe,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 551-568, 08.
- Veronika Holá & Petr Jakubík, 2011. "Impact of Parametric Changes in Deposit Insurance Schemes in 2008," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2011(5), pages 659-679.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.