The Taxation of Banking in an Integrating Europe
AbstractThe banking sector is subject to explicit taxation and to bank regulation and supervision with quasi-fiscal implications. The assignment of national fiscal policy rights and duties regarding international banks in the EU varies with the fiscal instrument and with whether the international bank owns foreign branches or subsidiaries. Decentralized national policy-making in the EU gives rise to fiscal burdens on banks that differ internationally and with the national origin of banks in the same country. This paper discusses the international aspects of the overall fiscal regime facing banks in the EU and it evaluates some avenues for reform.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal International Tax and Public Finance.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102915
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gropp, R. & Vesala, J., 2001.
"Deposit Insurance and Moral Hazard: Does the Counterfactual Matter?,"
47, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Gropp, Reint & Vesala, Jukka, 2001. "Deposit insurance and moral hazard: does the counterfactual matter?," Working Paper Series 0047, European Central Bank.
- Huizinga Harry & Nicodeme Gaetan, 2003.
"Deposit insurance and international bank deposits,"
- Harry Huizinga & Ga�tan Nicod�me, 2002. "Deposit insurance and international bank deposits," European Economy - Economic Papers 164, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Huizinga, Harry & Nicodeme, Gaetan, 2003. "Deposit Insurance and International Bank Deposits," CEPR Discussion Papers 3244, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Huizinga, H.P., 2003. "Comment on 'European banking, past, present, and future'," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-148675, Tilburg University.
- H. Huizinga & Ga�tan Nicod�me, 2001.
"Are international deposits tax-driven?,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
152, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Harry Huizinga, 2002. "A European VAT on financial services?," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 497-534, October.
- Cornelia Holthausen & Thomas Rønde, 2003.
"Cooperation in International Banking Supervision,"
CIE Discussion Papers
2004-02, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Albertazzi, Ugo & Gambacorta, Leonardo, 2010.
"Bank profitability and taxation,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2801-2810, November.
- Ugo Albertazzi & Leonardo Gambacorta, 2006. "Bank Profitability and Taxation," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 364, Society for Computational Economics.
- Ugo Albertazzi & Leonardo Gambacorta, 2007. "Bank profitability and taxation," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 649, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Chiorazzo, Vincenzo & Milani, Carlo, 2011. "The impact of taxation on bank profits: Evidence from EU banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 3202-3212.
- European Commission, 2010. "Tax Policy after the Crisis: Monitoring Tax Revenues and Tax Reforms in EU Member States 2010 Report," Taxation Papers 24, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.