Deposit Insurance During EU Accession
AbstractThe paper presents a brief review of the systems of deposit insurance in accession countries, comparing their level of harmonization with the perspective of their EU integration. Studying the different practices of deposit insurance in the context of developing financial safety nets in future Europe we have found that: (i) there is overinsurance of deposits in accession countries, and (ii) that this could lead to increasing moral hazard, incentives deformation and increasing costs of banking intermediation in the whole euro area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan in its series William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series with number 2003-617.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 724 E. University Ave, Wyly Hall 1st Flr, Ann Arbor MI 48109
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763 5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
deposits insurance; financial regulation; accession countries;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- P2 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth Koford & Adrian E. Tschoegl, 1997. "Problems of Bank Lending in Bulgaria: Information Asymmetry and Institutional Learning," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-41, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Erik Berglof & Patrick Bolton, 2002.
"The Great Divide and Beyond: Financial Architecture in Transition,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 77-100, Winter.
- Berglöf, Erik & Bolton, Patrick, 2003. "The Great Divide and Beyond - Financial Architecture in Transition," CEPR Discussion Papers 3476, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Erik Berglof & Patrick Bolton, 2001. "The Great Divide and Beyond: Financial Architecture in Transition," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 414, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Scholtens, Bert, 2000. "Financial regulation and financial system architecture in Central Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 525-553, April.
- Bonin, John & Wachtel, Paul, 2002. "Financial sector development in transition economies: Lessons from the first decade," BOFIT Discussion Papers 9/2002, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Benston, George J & Kaufman, George G, 1996. "The Appropriate Role of Bank Regulation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 688-97, May.
- Dow, Sheila C, 1996.
"Why the Banking System Should Be Regulated,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 698-707, May.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kun & Edward J. Kane, 2003.
"Deposit Insurance: Handle With Care,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
227, Central Bank of Chile.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Edward J. Kane, 2004. "Deposit Insurance: Handle with Care," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Luis Antonio Ahumada & J. Rodrigo Fuentes & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking Market Structure and Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 7, chapter 12, pages 345-358 Central Bank of Chile.
- Hermes, Niels & Lensink, Robert, 2000. "Financial system development in transition economies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 507-524, April.
- Huizinga, Harry & Nicodeme, Gaetan, 2003.
"Deposit Insurance and International Bank Deposits,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3244, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harry Huizinga & Ga�tan Nicod�me, 2002. "Deposit insurance and international bank deposits," European Economy - Economic Papers 164, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Huizinga Harry & Nicodeme Gaetan, 2003. "Deposit insurance and international bank deposits," International Finance 0302001, EconWPA.
- Edda Zoli, 2001. "Cost and Effectiveness of Banking Sector Restructuring in Transition Economies," IMF Working Papers 01/157, International Monetary Fund.
- Dowd, Kevin, 1996. "The Case for Financial Laissez-Faire," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 679-87, May.
- Llewellyn, David T., 2001. "A regulatory regime for financial stability," Working Papers 48, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 1997. "The Determinants of Banking Crises - Evidence from Developing and Developed Countries," IMF Working Papers 97/106, International Monetary Fund.
- Calomiris, Charles W., 1999. "Building an incentive-compatible safety net," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(10), pages 1499-1519, October.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Kane, Edward J. & Laeven, Luc, 2006. "Deposit insurance design and implementation : policy lessons from research and practice," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3969, The World Bank.
- Dinger, Valeriya & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2008.
"Does Interbank Borrowing Reduce Bank Risk?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6635, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dinger, Valeriya & Hagen, Jürgen von, 2007. "Does Interbank Borrowing Reduce Bank Risk?," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 223, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Eisenbeis, Robert A. & Kaufman, George G., 2008. "Cross-border banking and financial stability in the EU," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 168-204, September.
- Djurdjica Ognjenovic, 2006. "Basic Principles of Financial Planning in Ex-ante Deposit Insurance Schemes," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 30(4), pages 369-380.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.