European Option Pricing and Hedging with both Fixed and Proportional Transaction Costs
AbstractIn this paper we extend the utility based option pricing and hedging approach, pioneered by Hodges and Neuberger (1989) and further developed by Davis, Panas and Zariphopoulou (1993), for the market where each transaction has a fixed cost component. We present a model, where investors have a CARA utility, and derive some properties of reservation option prices. We suggest and implement discretization schemes for computing the reservation option prices. The numerical results of option pricing and hedging are presented for the case of European call options and the investors with different levels of ARA. We also try to reconcile our findings with such empirical pricing bias as the volatility smile.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0311009.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: 21 Nov 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; prepared on WinXP; pages: 43; figures: 6
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
option pricing; transaction costs; stochastic control; Markov chain approximation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-11-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2003-11-23 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-EEC-2003-11-23 (European Economics)
- NEP-FIN-2003-11-23 (Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2003-11-23 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Benjamin Mohamed, 1994. "Simulations of transaction costs and optimal rehedging," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 49-62.
- Dermody, Jaime Cuevas & Prisman, Eliezer Z., 1993. "No Arbitrage and Valuation in Markets with Realistic Transaction Costs," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 65-80, March.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- George M. Constantinides & Thaleia Zariphopoulou, .
"Bounds on Prices of Contingent Claims in an Intertemporal Economy with Proportional Transaction Costs and General Preferences,"
CRSP working papers
347, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- (*), Thaleia Zariphopoulou & George M. Constantinides, 1999. "Bounds on prices of contingent claims in an intertemporal economy with proportional transaction costs and general preferences," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 345-369.
- A. E. Whalley & P. Wilmott, 1997. "An Asymptotic Analysis of an Optimal Hedging Model for Option Pricing with Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 307-324.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.