Option hedging theory under transaction costs
AbstractThe problem of option hedging in the presence of proportional transaction costs can be formulated as a singular stochastic control problem. Hodges and Neuberger [1989. Optimal replication of contingent claims under transactions costs. Review of Futures Markets 8, 222-239] introduced an approach that is based on maximization of the expected utility of terminal wealth. We develop a new algorithm to solve the corresponding singular stochastic control problem and introduce a new approach to option hedging which is closer in spirit to the pathwise replication of Black and Scholes [1973. The pricing of options and corporate liabilities. Journal of Political Economy 81, 637-654]. This new approach is based on minimization of a Black-Scholes-type measure of pathwise risk, defined in terms of a market delta, subject to an upper bound on the hedging cost. We provide an efficient backward induction algorithm for the problem of cost-constrained risk minimization, whose associated singular stochastic control problem is shown to be equivalent to an optimal stopping problem. This algorithm is then modified to solve the singular stochastic control problem associated with utility maximization, which cannot be reduced to an optimal stopping problem. We propose to choose an optimal parameter (risk-aversion coefficient or Lagrange multiplier) in either approach by minimizing the mean squared hedging error and demonstrate that with this "best" choice of the parameter, both approaches have similar performance. We also discuss the different notions of risk in both approaches and propose a volatility adjustment for the risk-minimization approach, which is analogous to that introduced by Zakamouline [2006. European option pricing and hedging with both fixed and proportional transaction costs. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 30, 1-25] for the utility maximization approach, thereby providing a unified treatment of both approaches.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control.
Volume (Year): 33 (2009)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jedc
Option hedging Singular stochastic control Optimal stopping Backward induction Transaction costs Volatility adjustment;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leland, Hayne E, 1985.
" Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1283-1301, December.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1984. "Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 144, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hutchinson, James M & Lo, Andrew W & Poggio, Tomaso, 1994.
" A Nonparametric Approach to Pricing and Hedging Derivative Securities via Learning Networks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 49(3), pages 851-89, July.
- James M. Hutchinson & Andrew W. Lo & Tomaso Poggio, 1994. "A Nonparametric Approach to Pricing and Hedging Derivative Securities Via Learning Networks," NBER Working Papers 4718, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George M. Constantinides & Thaleia Zariphopoulou, .
"Bounds on Prices of Contingent Claims in an Intertemporal Economy with Proportional Transaction Costs and General Preferences,"
CRSP working papers
347, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- (*), Thaleia Zariphopoulou & George M. Constantinides, 1999. "Bounds on prices of contingent claims in an intertemporal economy with proportional transaction costs and general preferences," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 345-369.
- Halil Mete Soner & Guy Barles, 1998. "Option pricing with transaction costs and a nonlinear Black-Scholes equation," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 369-397.
- Boyle, Phelim P & Vorst, Ton, 1992. " Option Replication in Discrete Time with Transaction Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 271-93, March.
- B. Bouchard & Yu. M. Kabanov & N. Touzi, 2001.
"Option pricing by large risk aversion utility¶under transaction costs,"
Decisions in Economics and Finance,
Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 127-136, November.
- Bouchard, Bruno & Touzi, Nizar & Kabanov, Yuri, 2001. "Option pricing by large risk aversion utility under transaction costs," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1800, Paris Dauphine University.
- Benjamin Mohamed, 1994. "Simulations of transaction costs and optimal rehedging," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 49-62.
- Clewlow, Les & Hodges, Stewart, 1997. "Optimal delta-hedging under transactions costs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1353-1376, June.
- Magill, Michael J. P. & Constantinides, George M., 1976. "Portfolio selection with transactions costs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 245-263, October.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Edirisinghe, Chanaka & Naik, Vasanttilak & Uppal, Raman, 1993. "Optimal Replication of Options with Transactions Costs and Trading Restrictions," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 117-138, March.
- Zakamouline, Valeri I., 2006. "European option pricing and hedging with both fixed and proportional transaction costs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Bernard Bensaid & Jean-Philippe Lesne & Henri Pagès & José Scheinkman, 1992. "Derivative Asset Pricing With Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 63-86.
- Monoyios, Michael, 2004. "Option pricing with transaction costs using a Markov chain approximation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 889-913, February.
- A. E. Whalley & P. Wilmott, 1997. "An Asymptotic Analysis of an Optimal Hedging Model for Option Pricing with Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 307-324.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.