An Asymptotic Analysis of an Optimal Hedging Model for Option Pricing with Transaction Costs
AbstractDavis, Panas, and Zariphopoulou (1993) and Hodges and Neuberger (1989) have presented a very appealing model for pricing European options in the presence of rehedging transaction costs. In their papers the 'maximization of utility' leads to a hedging strategy and an option value. The latter is different from the Black-Scholes fair value and is given by the solution of a three-dimensional free boundary problem. This problem is computationally very time-consuming. In this paper we analyze this problem in the realistic case of small transaction costs, applying simple ideas of asymptotic analysis. The problem is then reduced to an inhomogeneous diffusion equation in only two independent variables, the asset price and time. The advantages of this approach are to increase the speed at which the optimal hedging strategy is calculated and to add insight generally. Indeed, we find a very simple analytical expression for the hedging strategy involving the option's gamma. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Inc. 1997.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Mathematical Finance.
Volume (Year): 7 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0960-1627
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Richard J. Martin, 2012. "Optimal multifactor trading under proportional transaction costs," Papers 1204.6488, arXiv.org.
- Bertram Düring & Michel Fournié & Ansgar Jüngel, 2001. "High order compact finite difference schemes for a nonlinear Black-Scholes equation," CoFE Discussion Paper 01-07, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Ales Cerny & Stephan Denkl & Jan Kallsen, 2013. "Hedging in L\'evy models and the time step equivalent of jumps," Papers 1309.7833, arXiv.org.
- Stefan Gerhold & Johannes Muhle-Karbe & Walter Schachermayer, 2010. "The dual optimizer for the growth-optimal portfolio under transaction costs," Papers 1005.5105, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2010.
- Jan Kallsen & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2012. "Option Pricing and Hedging with Small Transaction Costs," Papers 1209.2555, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2012.
- Zakamouline, Valeri I., 2006. "European option pricing and hedging with both fixed and proportional transaction costs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Christoph K\"uhn & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2013. "Optimal Liquidity Provision in Limit Order Markets," Papers 1309.5235, arXiv.org.
- Pagliarani, Stefano & Pascucci, Andrea, 2011. "Analytical approximation of the transition density in a local volatility model," MPRA Paper 31107, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paolo Guasoni & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2012. "Portfolio Choice with Transaction Costs: a User's Guide," Papers 1207.7330, arXiv.org.
- Lai, Tze Leung & Lim, Tiong Wee, 2009. "Option hedging theory under transaction costs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 1945-1961, December.
- Albert Altarovici & Johannes Muhle-Karbe & H. Mete Soner, 2013. "Asymptotics for Fixed Transaction Costs," Papers 1306.2802, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2013.
- Bouchard, Bruno, 2000. "Option Pricing via Utility Maximization in the presence of Transaction Costs: an Asymptotic Analysis," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6707, Paris Dauphine University.
- Valeri Zakamouline, 2004. "A Unified Approach to Portfolio Optimization with Linear Transaction Costs," GE, Growth, Math methods 0404003, EconWPA, revised 21 Apr 2004.
- Jan Kallsen & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2013. "The General Structure of Optimal Investment and Consumption with Small Transaction Costs," Papers 1303.3148, arXiv.org.
- Bertram Düring & Michel Fournié & Ansgar Jüngel, 2004. "Convergence of a high-order compact finite difference scheme for a nonlinear Black-Scholes equation," CoFE Discussion Paper 04-02, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Siu Lung Law & Chiu Fan Lee & Sam Howison & Jeff N. Dewynne, 2007. "Correlated multi-asset portfolio optimisation with transaction cost," Papers 0705.1949, arXiv.org, revised May 2009.
- Valeri Zakamouline, 2003. "American Option Pricing with Transaction Costs," Finance 0311012, EconWPA.
- Valeri Zakamouline, 2003. "European Option Pricing and Hedging with both Fixed and Proportional Transaction Costs," Finance 0311009, EconWPA.
- Bruno Bouchard & Ludovic Moreau & Mete H. Soner, 2013. "Hedging under an expected loss constraint with small transaction costs," Papers 1309.4916, arXiv.org.
- Jacques, Sébastien & Lai, Van Son & Soumaré, Issouf, 2011. "Synthetizing a debt guarantee: Super-replication versus utility approach," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 27-40, January.
- Fehle, Frank, 2004. "A note on transaction costs and the existence of derivatives markets," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 63-70.
- Kogan, Leonid, 2001. "An equilibrium model of irreversible investment," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 201-245, November.
- Monoyios, Michael, 2004. "Option pricing with transaction costs using a Markov chain approximation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 889-913, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.