Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth: An Obvious Conjunction?
AbstractThis paper consists of an introductory survey of two fundamental questions regarding the link between entrepreneurship and economic growth. The first one deals with the endogenous relationship between entrepreneurship and growth. In particular, we suggest that, while more entrepreneurship could mean more economic growth, economic growth in turn could affect the individual arbitrage between different professional occupations (including entrepreneurship) and expected payoffs. The second question is concerned with the types of activities to which the individual directs his talents. We distinguish between entrepreneurship and rent-seeking. The impact on economic growth is assessed in static and dynamic frameworks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Development and Comp Systems with number 0110010.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: 30 Oct 2001
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Pdf; pages: 17 . Introductory Discussion Paper Ref. IDS DP 2000-08, Indiana University, Bloomington.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
entrepreneurship; economic growth; rent-seeking;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-11-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2001-11-05 (Development)
- NEP-ENT-2001-11-05 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-TID-2001-11-05 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Tollison, 2012. "The economic theory of rent seeking," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 152(1), pages 73-82, July.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 1995.
"Reward structures and the allocation of talent,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 17-33, January.
- Dutz, Mark A. & Ordover, Janusz A. & Willig, Robert D., 2000. "Entrepreneurship, access policy and economic development: Lessons from industrial organization," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 739-747, May.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1991.
"The Allocation of Talent: Implications for Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 503-30, May.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1990. "The Allocation of Talent: Implicationsfor Growth," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 65, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1990. "The Allocation of Talent: Implications for Growth," NBER Working Papers 3530, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philip R. Lane & Aaron Tornell, 1999. "The Voracity Effect," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(1), pages 22-46, March.
- Kanbur, S M, 1979. "Of Risk Taking and the Personal Distribution of Income," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 769-97, August.
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Francois, Patrick, 2000. "Rent-seeking and resource booms," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 527-542, April.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1979. "A General Equilibrium Entrepreneurial Theory of Firm Formation Based on Risk Aversion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 719-48, August.
- David B. Audretsch, 1994. "Small business in Industrial Economies : the new learning," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 67(1), pages 21-39.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1993. "Why Is Rent-Seeking So Costly to Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 409-14, May.
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1975. "The Value of the Ability to Deal with Disequilibria," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(3), pages 827-46, September.
- Naude, Wim, 2009.
"Out with the sleaze, in with the ease: Insufficient for entrepreneurial development?,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Naude, Wim, 2009. "Out with the sleaze, in with the ease: Insufficient for entrepreneurial development?," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Naude, Wim, 2009.
"Entrepreneurship is not a Binding Constraint on Growth and Development in the Poorest Countries,"
Working Paper Series
Research Paper No. 2009-4, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Naudé, Wim, 2011. "Entrepreneurship is Not a Binding Constraint on Growth and Development in the Poorest Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 33-44, January.
- David Audretsch & Matthias Bank & Martin Carree & Marcus Dejardin & Julie Elston & Harmut Fest & Andre Jungmittag & Georg Licht & Gerald Mcdermott & Margaret Polski & Scott Shane & Paul Welfens & Juer, 2002. "The New Economy in Germany and the United States: Policy Challenges and Solutions," Working Papers halshs-00721657, HAL.
- Emilia VâˆšÂ°zquez & Sofia Gomes & Elvira Vieira, 2011. "Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth in Spanish and Portuguese Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1537, European Regional Science Association.
- Wim Naudé, 2010. "Entrepreneurship, developing countries, and development economics: new approaches and insights," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 1-12, January.
- Andrzej P. Dabkowski, 2011. "Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth: An Investigation into the Relationship between Entrepreneurship and Total Factor Productivity Growth in the EU," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 427, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- John Tang, 2013. "Railroad expansion and entrepreneurship: Evidence from Meiji Japan," AJRC Working Papers 1302, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- VAZQUEZ-ROZAS, Emilia & GOMES, Sofia & VIEIRA, Elvira, 2010. "Entrepreneurship And Economic Growth In Spanish And Portuguese Regions," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 10(2).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.