Shortages, interest rates, and money demand in Poland, 1969-1995
AbstractThe paper estimates a household money demand function for Poland from 1969 to 1995. Contrary to theoretical belief and earlier empirical evidence portfolio arguments are found to be significant. Despite regime shifts during the 1980s and full liberalization of the Polish economy in the beginning of 1990, cointegration relationships are found between broad real money holdings, real household income, an interest rate on an alternative asset, the inflation rate and shortage of goods. Because Poland knew severe policy shocks and monetary data show a development from a cash to a savings economy, extensive attention is paid to parameter constancy and stability of the cointegration relationships. Tests generally confirm stability of long-run income and interest elasticities. Short-run money demand estimates illustrate expectations of increased income and interest elasticities, as well as an increasingly active adjustment behavior. Some implications of our main findings for monetary stabilization policy are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Research, University of Groningen and University of Twente in its series Working Papers with number 25.
Date of creation: Feb 1996
Date of revision:
money demand; cointegration; shortage economies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- P23 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Factor and Product Markets; Industry Studies; Population
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cahiers de recherche
8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Bennett, John, 1991. "Repressed inflation, queuing and the resale of goods in a centrally planned economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 49-60, January.
- Portes, Richard, 1986.
"The Theory and Measurement of Macroeconomic Disequilibrium in Centrally Planned Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
91, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Portes, 1989. "The Theory and Measurement of Macroeconomic Disequilibrium in Centrally Planned Economies," NBER Working Papers 1875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Hansen, Bruce E, 1990.
"Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables Regression with I(1) Processes,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 99-125, January.
- Tom Doan, . "FM: RATS procedure to estimate cointegrating vectors using Fully Modified Least Squares," Statistical Software Components RTS00069, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jeroen J.M. Kremers & Neil R. Ericsson & Juan J. Dolado, 1992.
"The power of cointegration tests,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
431, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Dolado, Juan José & Ericsson, N.R. & Kremers, J.J.M., 1992. "The Power of Cointegration Tests," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3319, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Muellbauer, John & Portes, Richard, 1978. "Macroeconomic Models with Quantity Rationing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 788-821, December.
- Steven B. Kamin & Neil R. Ericsson, 1993. "Dollarization in Argentina," International Finance Discussion Papers 460, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Saving, Thomas R, 1971. "Transactions Costs and the Demand for Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(3), pages 407-20, June.
- Cochrane, J.H. & Ickes, B.W., 1991.
"Inflation Stabilization in Reforming Socialist Economies : the Myth of the Monetary Overhang,"
8-91-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- John H Cochrane & Barry W Ickes, 1991. "Inflation Stabilization in Reforming Socialist Economies: The Myth of the Monetary Overhang," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(2), pages 97-122, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Portes, Richard & Winter, David, 1978. "The Demand for Money and for Consumption Goods in Centrally Planned Economies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(1), pages 8-18, February.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Cointegration in partial systems and the efficiency of single-equation analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 389-402, June.
- Quintos, Carmela E & Phillips, Peter C B, 1993. "Parameter Constancy in Cointegrating Regressions," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 675-706.
- Stahl, Dale II & Alexeev, Michael, 1985. "The influence of black markets on a queue-rationed centrally planned economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 234-250, August.
- Barro, Robert J & Grossman, Herschel I, 1974. "Suppressed Inflation and the Supply Multiplier," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 87-104, January.
- Barro,Robert J. & Grossman,Herschel I., 2008. "Money Employment and Inflation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521068659.
- Carlos A. Rodríguez, 1992.
"Money and Credit Under Currency Substitution,"
CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo.
82, Universidad del CEMA.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1992.
"Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 321-35, July.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 2002. "Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 45-59, January.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Portes, Richard, 1981. "Macroeconomic Equilibrium and Disequilibrium in Centrally Planned Economies," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(4), pages 559-78, October.
- Bennett, John, 1994. "Queuing and the Price Level under Repressed Inflation," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 68-82, January.
- Guillermo Calvo & Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont, 1992.
"Currency Substitution in Developing Countries - An Introduction,"
IMF Working Papers
92/40, International Monetary Fund.
- Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1992. "Currency Substitution in Developing Countries: An Introduction," MPRA Paper 20338, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Podkaminer, Leon, 1988. "Disequilibrium in Poland's consumer markets: Further evidence on intermarket spillovers," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 43-60, March.
- Portes, Richard & Winter, David, 1980. "Disequilibrium Estimates for Consumption Goods Markets in Centrally Planned Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 137-59, January.
- Boycko, Maxim, 1992. "When Higher Incomes Reduce Welfare: Queues, Labor Supply, and Macro Equilibrium in Socialist Economies," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 907-20, August.
- Bennett T. McCallum & Marvin S. Goodfriend, 1987. "Money: Theoretical Analysis of the Demand for Money," NBER Working Papers 2157, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Bennett, John & Boycko, Maxim, 1995. "Savings and Stabilization Policy in a Pre-Post-Socialist Economy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 907-19, August.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1993. "Nonclearing Markets: Microeconomic Concepts and Macroeconomic Applications," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 732-61, June.
- Hare, Paul, 1987. " Supply Multipliers in a Centrally Planned Economy with a Private Sector," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 21(2-3), pages 53-61.
- Guisan, Maria-Carmen & Aguayo, Eva & Carballas, David, 2004. "Economic Growth and Cycles in Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Slovenia: A comparison with Spain, Austria and other EU countries, 1950-2002," Economic Development 79, University of Santiago de Compostela. Faculty of Economics and Business. Econometrics..
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.