The role of partnerships in regional and urban development at the turn of the century
AbstractThe term "partnership" is increasingly used in regionaldevelopmentalthough the practice of partnership in urban economic policy,if not theterminology, is common and has a long history. Currentlypartnershipsreceive widespread support from practitioners as they are seenas allowingeach partner to gain the benefits from co-operation, whilestill retainingtheir autonomy. However, the theoretical basis of these viewsis poorlydeveloped. This paper seeks to present an exploration of thetheoreticalbasis of regional and urban development partnerships and todraw resultinglessons for their improvement. From an analytical perspective,can beargued that in order to fully understand the behaviour andpolicies oforganisations involved in local economic development, it isnecessary toconsider their partnerships and the associated relationshipswith networksof other actors, including the flows of resources, power, andinformationwithin these networks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa98p121.
Date of creation: Aug 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Meade., . "Agathotopia," Hume Papers 16, David Hume Institute.
- Wintrobe, Ronald, 1981. "It pays to do good, but not to do more good than it pays : A note on the survival of altruism," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 201-213, September.
- Robert H. Frank & Thomas Gilovich & Dennis T. Regan, 1993. "Does Studying Economics Inhibit Cooperation?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(2), pages 159-171, Spring.
- Dr Ronald W. McQuaid, 1994. "Partnerships And Urban Economic Development," Working Paper p13, Departement of Economics, Napier University.
- McQuaid, Ronald W., 2002. "Entrepreneurship and regional development policies," ERSA conference papers ersa02p187, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.