Dynamics of innovation in European regions
AbstractThere is interest in both academic literature and regional governments about the innovativeness of regions and the drivers of that competitiveness, especially if considering the impact on economic development and social progress. Innovation is the base for the global competitiveness. Innovative capacity enables regions to increase their productivity and attract investments, thereby sustaining continuous progress in the quality and standard of living. This study aims to measure regionsâ€™ innovativeness in different European regions and to evaluate the nature of the innovation process and the relationship existing between its innovativenessâ€™ and its region of origin. It proceeds from the assumption that the competitiveness of a region is reflected in its innovation capacity or innovation dynamic. The literature review regarding regionsâ€™ innovativeness produces some insights regarding to the effect of contextual elements on regions performance. Thus, the objective is to compare the European regions to verify the existence of subjacent clusters and find out the characteristics that distinguish the different group of regions. The innovative capacity is considered in terms of innovative output and several factors are analysed to identify and differentiate the dynamics of innovations of the regions. The results point to the existence of five groups of regions, and the factors identified are related to innovation process, namely forms of innovation, factors and objectives of innovation and with aspects related to the innovation framework such as tertiary education and life-long learning, business and public R&D expenses, and level of collaboration for innovating.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa11p466.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Augasse 2-6, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2011-11-14 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EUR-2011-11-14 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INO-2011-11-14 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2011-11-14 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2011-11-14 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Belderbos,René & Carree,Martin & Lokshin,Boris, 2004.
"Cooperative R&D and Firm Performance,"
022, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Belderbos, Rene & Carree, M & Lokshin, B, 2004. "Cooperative R&D and firm performance," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/101254, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Belderbos, Rene & Carree, Martin & Lokshin, Boris, 2004. "Cooperative R&D and firm performance," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-15272, Maastricht University.
- Belderbos, René & Carree, Martin & Lokshin, Boris, 2004. "Cooperative R&D and firm performance," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-20506, Maastricht University.
- Heike Belitz & Marius Clemens & Jens Schmidt-Ehmcke & Stephanie Schneider & Axel Werwatz, 2008. "Deficits in Education Endanger Germany's Innovative Capacity," Weekly Report, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 4(14), pages 86-93.
- Michaela Trippl, 2006. "Cross-Border Regional Innovation Systems," SRE-Disc sre-disc-2006_05, Institute for the Environment and Regional Development, Department of Socioeconomics, Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Loet Leydesdorff, 2012. "The Triple Helix, Quadruple Helix, …, and an N-Tuple of Helices: Explanatory Models for Analyzing the Knowledge-Based Economy?," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 25-35, March.
- Lynn Mytelka, 2000. "Local Systems Of Innovation In A Globalized World Economy," Industry & Innovation, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 15-32.
- Kaufmann, Alexander & Tödtling, Franz, 2000.
"Science-Industry Interaction In The Process Of Innovation - The Importance Of Boundary-Crossing Between Systems,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa00p428, European Regional Science Association.
- Kaufmann, Alexander & Todtling, Franz, 2001. "Science-industry interaction in the process of innovation: the importance of boundary-crossing between systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 791-804, May.
- Bjørn Asheim & Lars Coenen, 2006.
"Contextualising Regional Innovation Systems in a Globalising Learning Economy: On Knowledge Bases and Institutional Frameworks,"
The Journal of Technology Transfer,
Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 163-173, 01.
- Asheim, Bjørn & Coenen, Lars, 2005. "Contextualizing Regional Innovation Systems in a Globalizing Learning Economy: On Knowledge Bases and Institutional Frameworks," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2005/5, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- M. S. Gertler & Y. M. Levitte, 2005. "Local Nodes in Global Networks: The Geography of Knowledge Flows in Biotechnology Innovation," Industry & Innovation, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 487-507.
- Nieto, María Jesús & Santamaría, Lluís, 2007. "The importance of diverse collaborative networks for the novelty of product innovation," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/12680, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Todtling, Franz & Trippl, Michaela, 2005. "One size fits all?: Towards a differentiated regional innovation policy approach," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1203-1219, October.
- Agusti Segarra-Blasco, 2010. "Innovation and productivity in manufacturing and service firms in Catalonia: a regional approach," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 233-258.
- McFetridge, D.G., 1995. "Science and Technology: Perspectives for Public Policy," Gouvernement du Canada - Industrial Organization 9, Gouvernement du Canada - Industry Canada.
- David Doloreux, 2004. "Regional Innovation Systems in Canada: A Comparative Study," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 38(5), pages 479-492.
- Tsai, Kuen-Hung, 2009. "Collaborative networks and product innovation performance: Toward a contingency perspective," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 765-778, June.
- Hu, Mei-Chih & Mathews, John A., 2005. "National innovative capacity in East Asia," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1322-1349, November.
- Malerba, Franco, 2007. "Innovation and the dynamics and evolution of industries: Progress and challenges," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 675-699, August.
- Asheim, Bjorn T. & Coenen, Lars, 2005. "Knowledge bases and regional innovation systems: Comparing Nordic clusters," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1173-1190, October.
- Miotti, Luis & Sachwald, Frederique, 2003. "Co-operative R&D: why and with whom?: An integrated framework of analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1481-1499, September.
- Dominique Tourigny & Can Le, 2004. "Impediments to innovation faced by Canadian manufacturing firms," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 217-250.
- Chaminade, Cristina & Vang, Jan, 2006. "Globalisation of Knowledge Production and Regional Innovation Policy: Supporting Specialized Hubs in Developing Countries," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2006/15, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.