Impediments to innovation faced by Canadian manufacturing firms
AbstractUsing the findings of the 1999 Survey of Innovation in the Canadian manufacturing sector, we analyse the impediments, i.e. the problems and obstacles, that firms in the sector face when they innovate. In particular, we assess the factors which inhibit innovation, especially with regard to by small and medium enterprises (SMEs). First we try to establish the relationship between the impediments to innovation and various firm characteristics. Then we assess whether these impediments actually prevent firms from innovating or whether firms are able to overcome them. We find that the perception of impediments to innovation vary according to firm characteristics. For example, large firms are more likely to report the high cost of developing innovation and organizational rigidities as impediments than small firms. However, they seem to have less difficulty with regard to financing innovation projects compared to SMEs. Our results also show that firms seem to be able to overcome most of the obstacles to innovation. Therefore, the impediments featured in innovation survey(s) should not be interpreted as impenetrable barriers that prevent innovation. The sole exception is organizational rigidities. Firms facing organizational rigidities are less likely to become innovative, whether they are small, medium, or large. From our results, we conclude that small firms do not face particular impediments which prevent them from becoming innovative.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economics of Innovation and New Technology.
Volume (Year): 13 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, John R. Lin, Zhengxi, 2001.
"Impediments to Advanced Technology Adoption for Canadian Manufacturers,"
Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series
2001173e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Baldwin, John & Lin, Zhengxi, 2002. "Impediments to advanced technology adoption for Canadian manufacturers," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Sabourin, David, 2001. "Skill Shortages and Advanced Technology Adoption," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2001175e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Simona Iammarino & Francesca Sanna-Randaccio & Maria Savona, 2007. "The perception of obstacles to innovation. Multinational and domestic firms in Italy," Working Papers of BETA 2007-12, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Maria Manuela NatÃ¡rio & JoÃ£o Pedro Couto & AscensÃ£o Maria Braga & Teresa Maria Tiago, 2011. "Dynamics of innovation in European regions," ERSA conference papers ersa11p466, European Regional Science Association.
- Rahmouni, Mohieddine, 2011.
"Perception des obstacles aux activités d'innovation dans les entreprises tunisiennes
[Perception of obstacles to innovation activities in Tunisian firms]," MPRA Paper 18306, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- D'Este,Pablo & Rentocchini,Francesco & Vega Jurado,Jaider M., 2012. "The role of human capital in lowering barriers to engage in innovation: evidence from the Spanish innovation survey," INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) Working Paper Series 201206, INGENIO (CSIC-UPV), revised 03 Aug 2012.
- Pellegrino, Gabriele & Savona, Maria, 2013.
"Is money all? Financing versus knowledge and demand constraints to innovation,"
UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series
029, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Pellegrino, Gabriele & Savona, Maria, 2013. "Is money all? Financing versus knowledge and demand constraints to innovation," MERIT Working Papers 029, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Gabriele Pellegrino & Maria Savona, 2013. "Is Money All? Financing Versus Knowledge and Demand Constraints to Innovation," SPRU Working Paper Series 2013-01, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Gabriele Pellegrino & Mark J. Maria Savona, 2013. "Is money all? Financing versus knowledge and demand constraints to innovation," Working Papers 2013/21, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Pablo D'Este & Simona Iammarino & Maria Savona & Nick von Tunzelmann, 2008. "What hampers innovation? Evidence from the UK CIS4," SPRU Working Paper Series 168, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- D’Este, Pablo & Iammarino, Simona & Savona, Maria & von Tunzelmann, Nick, 2012. "What hampers innovation? Revealed barriers versus deterring barriers," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 482-488.
- Silva, Maria & Leitão, João & Raposo, Mário, 2007. "Barriers to Innovation faced by Manufacturing Firms in Portugal: How to overcome it?," MPRA Paper 5408, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.