Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth in Spanish and Portuguese Regions
AbstractThe theory of economic growth covers institutional market and company internal factors that explain the disparities in well-being among countries, in a given period. It also questions welfare growth dynamics that leads to convergence or divergence of per capita wealth levels. (Solow, 1956-1957; Grilliches, 1979; Romer, 1986, 1990; Lucas, 1988; Barro, 1999; Barro e Sala-i-Martin, 1991 e 1992; Rebelo, 1991, Mankiw, Romer e Weil, 1992). The economic study of entrepreneurship is concerned with identifying factors that influence the dynamics of business creation and the consequences of these dynamics on economic growth. (Acs e Armington, 2006; Audretsch e Keilbach, 2004; Audretsch, Keilbach, Lehmann, 2006; Carree e Thurik, 2006; Van Stel, 2006). There are several studies that establish a direct relationship between entrepreneurship and economic growth. Other empirical works address an indirect relationship through the establishment of an interaction between entrepreneurship and employment rate growth. With a similar approach to other works that relate entrepreneurial activity (Petrakis, 2004; Audretsch and Keilbach 2004; Wong, Ho e Autio, 2005; Acs e Varga, 2005; Stam, Suddle, Hessels e Van Stel, 2006; Van Stel, Storey e Thurik, 2009; Barros e Pereira 2008; Salas y SâˆšÂ°nchez-Asâˆšâ‰ n, 2008) this paper analyzes the effect of entrepreneurship on growth on Spanish and Portuguese regions
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa10p1537.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Augasse 2-6, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-07-29 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2012-07-29 (Entrepreneurship)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neira, I. & Pacheco, E., 2004. "Análise Comparativa Regional de Espanha e Portugal:Implicações da investigação no desenvolvimento industrial," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 4(1).
- Andres Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo regstdcenzi, 2008.
"Research and Development, Spillovers, Innovation Systems, and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 51-67.
- Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Crescenzi, Riccardo, 2008. "Research and development, spillovers, innovation systems, and the genesis of regional growth in Europe," Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Benhabib, Jess & Spiegel, Mark M., 1994. "The role of human capital in economic development evidence from aggregate cross-country data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 143-173, October.
- Naude, Wim, 2008. "Entrepreneurship in Economic Development," Working Paper Series RP2008/20, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- José Miguel Benavente, 2002.
"The Role of Research and Innovation in Promoting Productivity in Chile,"
wp200, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Jose Miguel Benavente, 2006. "The role of research and innovation in promoting productivity in chile," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4-5), pages 301-315.
- Fritsch, Michael & Mueller, Pamela, 2004.
"Regional growth regimes revisited - the case of West Germany,"
Freiberg Working Papers
2004,06, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Michael Fritsch & Pamela Mueller, 2004. "Regional Growth Regimes Revisited - The Case of West Germany," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-04, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Jong-Wha Lee & Jose De Gregorio & Eduardo Borensztein, 1994.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
94/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcus DEJARDIN, 2001. "Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth: An Obvious Conjunction?," Development and Comp Systems 0110010, EconWPA.
- Michael Fritsch & Pamela Mueller, 2004. "Effects of New Business Formation on Regional Development over Time," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 961-975.
- Nonneman, Walter & Vanhoudt, Patrick, 1996. "A Further Augmentation of the Solow Model and the Empirics of Economic Growth for OECD Countries," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(3), pages 943-53, August.
- David Audretsch & Michael Fritsch, 2002. "Growth Regimes over Time and Space," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 113-124.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Hans Westlund & Frane Adam, 2009. "Social Capital and Economic Performance: A Meta-analysis of 65 Studies," European Planning Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(6), pages 893-919, November.
- David B. Audretsch & Max Keilbach, 2004.
"Entrepreneurship Capital and Economic Performance,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2004-01, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Audretsch, David B & Keilbach, Max, 2003. "Entrepreneurship Capital and Economic Performance," CEPR Discussion Papers 3678, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Audretsch, David B. & Keilbach, Max, 2002. "Entrepreneurship Capital and Economic Performance," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-76, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Parisi, Maria Laura & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2006. "Productivity, innovation and R&D: Micro evidence for Italy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 2037-2061, November.
- Andres Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2006.
"R&D, Spillovers, Innovation Systems and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa06p371, European Regional Science Association.
- A. Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2006. "R&D, spillovers, innovatoin systems and the genesis of regional growth in Europe," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0067, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Poh Wong & Yuen Ho & Erkko Autio, 2005. "Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Economic Growth: Evidence from GEM data," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 335-350, 01.
- GUISAN, Carmen & Neira, Isabel, 2006. "Direct and Indirect Effects of Human Capital on World Development, 1960-2004," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 6(1), pages 17-34.
- David Audretsch & Erik Monsen, 2007. "Entrepreneurship Capital: A Regional, Organizational, Team, and Individual Phenomenon," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2007-06, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Isabel Neira & Emilia Vázquez & Marta Portela, 2009. "An Empirical Analysis of Social Capital and Economic Growth in Europe (1980–2000)," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 92(1), pages 111-129, May.
- Gomes, Victor & Pessoa, Samuel de Abreu & Veloso, Fernando A., 2003. "Evolução da Produtividade Total dos Fatores na Economia Brasileira: Uma Análise Comparativa," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 483, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.