Measuring Regional Innovative Capability
AbstractRegional innovation environment has experienced remarkable changes in the recent decades. Innovativeness at regional level is seen as a consequence of networked co-operation in a regional innovation system, which sets demands for new kinds of regional innovation policy applications. The current article presents network-facilitating innovation policy (NFIP) as a policy tool for promoting regional innovative capability. The new policies are crying out for new means for evaluating changes in regional innovation systems. There have been some interesting efforts to develop adequate measures for regional innovativeness. However, there are several problems with the existing measures. There seems to be a lack of clear distinction between innovation performance and innovative capability, and a corresponding neglect of the latter. Moreover, it is argued that the existing measures undermine the processual nature of innovativeness as well as the importance of non-technological innovations. The present article tries to overcome some of these problems in the context of network-facilitating innovation policy. It outlines the framework of network-based innovative capability (NBIC) measure at a regional level. The article also presents the first experiences of applying NBIC measure in the Lahti region in Finland.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa05p680.
Date of creation: Aug 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Augasse 2-6, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2006-02-05 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2006-02-05 (Innovation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bengt-ake Lundvall & Bjorn Johnson, 1994. "The Learning Economy," Industry & Innovation, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 23-42.
- P Cooke & M G Uranga & G Etxebarria, 1998. "Regional systems of innovation: an evolutionary perspective," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 30(9), pages 1563-1584, September.
- Santarelli, Enrico & Piergiovanni, Roberta, 1996.
"Analyzing literature-based innovation output indicators: the Italian experience,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 689-711, August.
- Enrico Santarelli, 1994. "Analysing Literature-Based Innovation Output Indicators: The Italian Experience," Working Papers 197, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Cooke, Philip & Gomez Uranga, Mikel & Etxebarria, Goio, 1997. "Regional innovation systems: Institutional and organisational dimensions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 475-491, December.
- Flor, M. L. & Oltra, M. J., 2004. "Identification of innovating firms through technological innovation indicators: an application to the Spanish ceramic tile industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 323-336, March.
- Hall, Bronwyn H & Jaffe, Adam B & Trajtenberg, Manuel, 2001.
"The NBER Patent Citations Data File: Lessons, Insights and Methodological Tools,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3094, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg, 2001. "The NBER Patent Citation Data File: Lessons, Insights and Methodological Tools," NBER Working Papers 8498, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, B. & Jaffe, A. & Trajtenberg, M., 2001. "The NBER Patent Citations Data File: Lessons, Insights and Methodological Tools," Papers 2001-29, Tel Aviv.
- Hagedoorn, John & Cloodt, Myriam, 2003. "Measuring innovative performance: is there an advantage in using multiple indicators?," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-4270, Maastricht University.
- Nonaka, Ikujiro & Toyama, Ryoko & Nagata, Akiya, 2000. "A Firm as a Knowledge-Creating Entity: A New Perspective on the Theory of the Firm," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 1-20, March.
- Albaladejo, M. & Romijn, H., 2000.
"Determinants of innovation capability in small UK firms: an empirical analysis,"
Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series
00.13, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Henny Romijn and Manuel Albaladejo, . "Determinants of Innovation Capability in Small UK Firms: An Empirical Analysis," QEH Working Papers qehwps40, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Hagedoorn, John & Cloodt, Myriam, 2003. "Measuring innovative performance: is there an advantage in using multiple indicators?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1365-1379, September.
- Tomi Tura & Vesa Harmaakorpi, 2003. "Social Capital in Building Regional Innovative Capability: A Theoretical and Conceptual Assessment," ERSA conference papers ersa03p393, European Regional Science Association.
- DeBresson, Chris & Amesse, Fernand, 1991. "Networks of innovators :A review and introduction to the issue," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 363-379, October.
- Scott, Allen J., 1999. "Regions and the World Economy: The Coming Shape of Global Production, Competition, and Political Order," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296584.
- Romijn, Henny & Albaladejo, Manuel, 2002. "Determinants of innovation capability in small electronics and software firms in southeast England," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1053-1067, September.
- Camagni, Roberto, 2002. "On the concept of territorial competitiveness: sound or misleading?," ERSA conference papers ersa02p518, European Regional Science Association.
- Archibugi, Daniele & Coco, Alberto, 2005. "Measuring technological capabilities at the country level: A survey and a menu for choice," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 175-194, March.
- Acs, Zoltan J. & Anselin, Luc & Varga, Attila, 2002. "Patents and innovation counts as measures of regional production of new knowledge," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1069-1085, September.
- Sanna PEKKOLA & Juhani UKKO, 2008. "Measuring the Effectiveness and Innovative Capability: Case Lahti University Consortium," European Financial and Accounting Journal, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2008(3), pages 62-78.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.