Matching across space: evidence from Finland
AbstractThis paper studies spatial aspects in local labour markets in Finland from the perspective of a matching approach. The monthly data comprise 173 Local Labour Office are as over a 12-year period between January 1991 and August 2002. The basic matching function is extended to account for spatial spill-overs between the local labour markets. The role of population density in the matching process is also examined. According to results, the Finnish local labour markets suffer from a strong congestion effect among job seekers, and spatial spill-overs even strengthen the congestion. An open vacancy is filled much easier than a job seeker is employed. The results show that the matching efficiency is remarkable lower in dense areas than elsewhere, which indicates that mismatch is a problem in the local labour markets with high population density. When taking population density into account, returns to scale in the matching function are constant. Keywords: matching, spatial spill-over, population density, returns to scale, Finland
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa04p205.
Date of creation: Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Augasse 2-6, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-11-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2005-11-09 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2005-11-09 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burda, Michael C, 1992. "Unemployment, Labour Market Institutions and Structural Change in Eastern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 746, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aki Kangasharju & Jaakko Pehkonen & Sari Pekkala, 2005. "Returns to scale in a matching model: evidence from disaggregated panel data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 115-118.
- Jari RitsilAa & Mika Haapanen, 2003. "Where do the highly educated migrate? Micro-level evidence from finland," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 437-448.
- M. C. Burda & S. Profit, 1996.
"Matching Across Space: Evidence on Mobility in the Czech Republik,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1996,11, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Burda, Michael C. & Profit, Stefan, 1996. "Matching across space: Evidence on mobility in the Czech Republic," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 255-278, October.
- Burda, Michael C & Profit, Stefan, 1996. "Matching Across Space: Evidence on Mobility in the Czech Republic," CEPR Discussion Papers 1364, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ours, J.C. van & Lindeboom, M. & Renes, G., 1994.
"Matching Employers and Workers: an Empirical Analysis on the Effectiveness of Search,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-142172, Tilburg University.
- Lindeboom, Maarten & van Ours, Jan C & Renes, Gusta, 1994. "Matching Employers and Workers: An Empirical Analysis on the Effectiveness of Search," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 45-67, January.
- Lindeboom, M. & Ours, J.C. & Renes, G., 1991. "Matching employers and workers : an empirical analysis on the effectiveness of search," Serie Research Memoranda 0063, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Burdett, Kenneth & Coles, Melvyn G & van Ours, Jan C, 1994.
"Temporal Aggregation Bias in Stock-Flow Models,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
967, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Petrongolo, Barbara, 1999.
"Re-Employment Probabilities and Returns to Matching,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2266, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Petrongolo, Barbara, 2001. "Reemployment Probabilities and Returns to Matching," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(3), pages 716-41, July.
- Barbara Petrongolo, 1998. "Re-employment Probabilities and Returns to Matching," CEP Discussion Papers dp0406, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Burda, Michael C & Wyplosz, Charles, 1993.
"Gross Worker and Job Flows in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
868, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coles, Melvyn G & Smith, Eric, 1996.
"Cross-Section Estimation of the Matching Function: Evidence from England and Wales,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(252), pages 589-97, November.
- Coles, Melvyn G & Smith, Eric, 1994. "Cross-Section Estimation of the Matching Function: Evidence from England and Wales," CEPR Discussion Papers 966, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burgess, Simon & Profit, Stefan, 1998.
"Externalities in the Matching of Workers and Firms in Britain,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1854, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burgess, Simon & Profit, Stefan, 2001. "Externalities in the matching of workers and firms in ritain," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 313-333, June.
- Simon Burgess & Stefan Profit, 2001. "Externalities in the Matching of Workers and Firms in Britain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0490, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1990.
"Ranking, Unemployment Duration, and Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
3387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001.
"Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lourens Broersma, 1997. "Competition between employed and unemployed job searchers: is there a difference between the UK and The Netherlands?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 199-203.
- Jackman, Richard & Savouri, Savvas, 1992. "Regional Migration in Britain: An Analysis of Gross Flows Using NHS Central Register Data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(415), pages 1433-50, November.
- Gina Cristina Dimian & Bogdan Ileanu & Josef Jablonský & Jan Fábry, 2013. "Analysis of European Labour Market in the Crisis Context," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2013(1), pages 50-71.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.