Analysis of European Labour Market in the Crisis Context
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to investigate the determinants of labour market dynamics in EU-27 in the recent period and to assess their impact on the process of economic development. The degree of originality is given by our choice to focus on the comparative analysis of two periods of time: 2000-2007, when the European Union as a whole, but especially Central and Eastern European countries as well as Mediterranean ones experienced significant improvements in labour market performances and overall competitiveness and 2008-2010, a recession period characterized by a massive loss of jobs and an equally large increase in unemployment, with anticipated consequences on economic growth. The main interest is to look for the key factors that determine the lasting performances of the leading European economies and possible solutions for ensuring the sustainable growth of the others.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Economics, Prague in its journal Prague Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 2013 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- P50 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ronald Bachmann & Michael C. Burda, 2010.
"Sectoral Transformation, Turbulence and Labor Market Dynamics in Germany,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 11, pages 37-59, 02.
- Ronald Bachmann & Michael C. Burda, 2007. "Sectoral Transformation, Turbulence, and Labor Market Dynamics in Germany," Ruhr Economic Papers 0005, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Bachmann, Ronald & Burda, Michael C., 2008. "Sectoral Transformation, Turbulence, and Labor Market Dynamics in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 3324, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bachmann, Ronald & Burda, Michael C, 2007. "Sectoral Transformation, Turbulence, and Labour Market Dynamics in Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 6226, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ronald Bachmann & Michael C. Burda, 2007. "Sectoral Transformation, Turbulence, and Labour Market Dynamics in Germany," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-008, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Glenda Quintini & Sébastien Martin, 2006. "Starting Well or Losing their Way?: The Position of Youth in the Labour Market in OECD Countries," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 39, OECD Publishing.
- Primož Dolenc & Suzana Laporšek, 2010. "Tax Wedge on Labour and its Effect on Employment Growth in the European Union," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2010(4), pages 344-358.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001.
"Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2000. "Looking into the black box: a survey of the matching function," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- André Sapir, 2006.
"Globalisation and the reform of European social models,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/8112, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- André Sapir, 2006. "Globalization and the Reform of European Social Models," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 369-390, 06.
- André Sapir, 2006. "Globalization and the reform of European social models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/167139, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- AndrÃ© Sapir, 2005. "Globalisation and the reform of European social models," Policy Contributions 31, Bruegel.
- Kluve, Jochen, 2010. "The effectiveness of European active labor market programs," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 904-918, December.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Rose, Andrew K. & Spiegel, Mark M., 2011.
"Cross-country causes and consequences of the crisis: An update,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 309-324, April.
- Rose, Andrew K & Spiegel, Mark, 2010. "Cross-Country Causes and Consequences of the Crisis: An Update," CEPR Discussion Papers 7901, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2011. "Cross-country causes and consequences of the crisis: an update," Working Paper Series 2011-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2010. "Cross-Country Causes and Consequences of the Crisis: An Update," NBER Working Papers 16243, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Francesco Pastore, 2007. "The Youth Experience Gap: Explaining Differences across EU Countries," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 41/2007, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Marelli, Enrico, 2004. "Evolution of employment structures and regional specialisation in the EU," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 35-59, March.
- F. Bouvet, 2012. "The Beveridge curve in Europe: new evidence using national and regional data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(27), pages 3585-3604, September.
- Rovelli, Riccardo & Bruno, Randolph Luca, 2008. "Labor Market Policies, Institutions and Employment Rates in the EU-27," IZA Discussion Papers 3502, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cristiano Perugini & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "Youth labour market performance in European regions," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 151-185, May.
- Cazes, Sandrine, 2009. "Labour market policies in times of crisis," ILO Working Papers 434163, International Labour Organization.
- Sanna-Mari Ahtonen, 2004. "Matching across space: evidence from Finland," ERSA conference papers ersa04p205, European Regional Science Association.
- Cristiano Perugini & Marcello Signorelli, 2007. "Labour Market Performance Differentials and Dynamics in EU-15 Countries and Regions," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 4(2), pages 209-262, September.
- Biagi, Federico & Lucifora, Claudio, 2008. "Demographic and education effects on unemployment in Europe," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 1076-1101, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.