Development at the border : policies and national integration in Cote d'Ivoire and its neighbors
AbstractRegression discontinuity designs applied to a set of household surveys from the 1980-90s allow to examine whether Cote d'Ivoire's aggregate wealth was translated at the borders of neighboring countries. At the border of Ghana and at the end of the 1980s, large discontinuities are detected for consumption, child stunting, and access to electricity and safe water. Border discontinuities in consumption can be explained by differences in cash crop policies (cocoa and coffee). When these policies converged in the 1990s, the only differences that persisted were those in rural facilities. In the North, cash crop (cotton) income again made a difference for consumption and nutrition (the case of Mali). On the one hand, large differences in welfare can hold at the borders dividing African countries despite their assumed porosity. On the other hand, border discontinuities seem to reflect the impact of reversible public policies rather than intangible institutional traits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 6626.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2013
Date of revision:
Economic Theory&Research; Regional Economic Development; Climate Change Economics; Emerging Markets; Population Policies;
Other versions of this item:
- Spielvogel, Gilles & Cogneau, Denis & MesplÃ©-Somps, Sandrine, . "Development at the border: policies and national integration in CÃ´te dâ€™Ivoire and its neighbors," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12067, Paris Dauphine University.
- Cogneau, Denis & MesplÃ©-Somps, Sandrine & Spielvogel, Gilles, 2013. "Development at the border: policies and national integration in CÃ´te dâ€™Ivoire and its neighbors," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1305, CEPREMAP.
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- P52 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Studies of Particular Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2013-10-11 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2013-10-11 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2013-10-11 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-DEV-2013-10-11 (Development)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denis Cogneau & Rï¿½mi Jedwab, 2012.
"Commodity Price Shocks and Child Outcomes: The 1990 Cocoa Crisis in CÃ´te dâ€™Ivoire,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(3), pages 507 - 534.
- Denis Cogneau & RÃ©mi Jedwab, 2010. "Commodity Price Shocks and Child Outcomes: The 1990 Cocoa Crisis in Cote d'Ivoire," PSE - G-MOND WORKING PAPERS halshs-00967328, HAL.
- Cogneau, Denis & Jedwab, RÃ©mi, 2012. "Commodity Price Shocks and Child Outcomes: The 1990 Cocoa Crisis in CÃ´te dâ€™Ivoire," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10603, Paris Dauphine University.
- Cogneau, Denis & Jedwab, RÃ©mi, 2010. "Commodity Price Shocks and Child Outcomes: The 1990 Cocoa Crisis in CÃ´te d'Ivoire," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1018, CEPREMAP.
- T. Paul Schultz, 1998. "Inequality in the Distribution of Personal Income in the World: How it is Changing and Why," Working Papers, Economic Growth Center, Yale University 784, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- T. Paul Schultz, 1998.
"Inequality in the distribution of personal income in the world: How it is changing and why,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 307-344.
- Schultz, T.P., 1998. "Inequality in the Distribution of Personal Income in the World: How It Is Changing and Why," Papers, Yale - Economic Growth Center 784, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Enrico Spolaore & Romain Wacziarg, 2005.
"Borders and Growth,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 331-386, December.
- Spolaore, Enrico & Wacziarg, Romain, 2002. "Borders and Growth," Research Papers 1761, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Enrico Spolaore & Romain Wacziarg, 2002. "Borders and Growth," NBER Working Papers 9223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Spolaore, Enrico & Wacziarg, Romain, 2005. "Borders and Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 5202, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lee, David S., 2008. "Randomized experiments from non-random selection in U.S. House elections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 675-697, February.
- Easterly, William & Levine, Ross, 1998. "Troubles with the Neighbours: Africa's Problem, Africa's Opportunity," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 7(1), pages 120-42, March.
- McCrary, Justin, 2008. "Manipulation of the running variable in the regression discontinuity design: A density test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 698-714, February.
- Brian Levy & Sahr Kpundeh, 2004. "Building State Capacity in Africa : New Approaches, Emerging Lessons," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14878.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/10262 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elise Huillery, 2009.
"History Matters: The Long-Term Impact of Colonial Public Investments in French West Africa,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 176-215, April.
- Elise Huillery, 2009. "History Matters: The Long Term Impact of Colonial Public Investments in French West Africa," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/10262, Sciences Po.
- Houngbedji, Kenneth & Cogneau, Denis & MesplÃ©-Somps, Sandrine, 2013. "The fall of the elephant. Two decades of poverty increase in CÃ´te dâ€™Ivoire (1988 - 2008)," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12510, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.