Fifty Years of Exchange Rate Research and Policy at the International Monetary Fund
AbstractThis paper reviews the development over the past fifty years in the IMF of research on, and policy attitudes toward, exchange rate matters. Three successive phases are noted. In the first ten to fifteen years, within the confines of the par value system, research was mainly focused on achieving a better understanding of the working of exchange rates. From the early 1960s to the mid-1980s, the focus shifted toward discovering and, if possible, enforcing “correct” exchange rates. More recently, the limitations of that approach have led to increased attention to the merits of alternative exchange rate regimes, both among the industrial countries and for developing countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal International Monetary Fund Staff Papers.
Volume (Year): 42 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1998.
"Whither the World Bank and the IMF?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 1983-2020, December.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 2001.
"International Macroeconomics: Beyond the Mundell-Fleming Model,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series
qt6796n8s0, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld., 2001. "International Macroeconomics: Beyond the Mundell-Fleming Model," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C01-121, University of California at Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2001. "International Macroeconomics: Beyond the Mundell-Fleming Model," NBER Working Papers 8369, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2003. "International Macroeconomics: Beyond the Mundell-Fleming Model," International Finance 0303006, EconWPA.
- Alex Izurieta, 2001. "Can Countries under A Common Currency Conduct Their Own Fiscal Policies?," Macroeconomics 0108008, EconWPA.
- Francis Cripps & Alex Izurieta & Terry McKinley, 2007. "Developing a Global Model for Trade, Finance and Income Distribution," Publications 1, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Ivo Maes, 2004. "Macroeconomic and Monetary Thought at the European Commission in the 1960s," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 1, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.