Building State Capacity in Africa : New Approaches, Emerging Lessons
AbstractIn recent years, a number of African governments, sometimes working in partnership with the Bank, and other development partners, have moved forward with new-style programs to build public sector capacity. This book aims to share some of the lessons for the design, and implementation of public sector capacity building, emerging from this new generation of operational practice. Their experiences are reviewed, and some major challenges for the African public sector are identified for how can African states: be innovative in the reform process, harness the energies of the local elites, learn from past reformers, and, harness political will as a partner in the reform process. It addresses topics such as the relationship between governance and economic development, public expenditure and accountability, anticorruption reform, decentralization, political structures, and, the delivery of public services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 14878 and published in 2004-09.
Poverty Reduction - Achieving Shared Growth Economic Policy Institutions and Governance Governance - National Governance Poverty Reduction - Poverty Assessment Governance - Governance Indicators;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Spielvogel, Gilles & Cogneau, Denis & Mesplé-Somps, Sandrine, .
"Development at the border: policies and national integration in Côte d’Ivoire and its neighbors,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University
123456789/12067, Paris Dauphine University.
- Cogneau, Denis & Mesple-Somps, Sandrine & Spielvogel, Gilles, 2013. "Development at the border : policies and national integration in Cote d'Ivoire and its neighbors," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 6626, The World Bank.
- Cogneau, Denis & Mesplé-Somps, Sandrine & Spielvogel, Gilles, 2013. "Development at the border: policies and national integration in Côte d’Ivoire and its neighbors," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb), CEPREMAP 1305, CEPREMAP.
- Independent Evaluation Group, 2006. "Engaging with Fragile States : An IEG Review of World Bank Support to Low-Income Countries under Stress," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, The World Bank, number 7155, February.
- Independent Evaluation Group, 2008. "Public Sector Reform: What Works and Why? An IEG evaluation of World Bank Support," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, The World Bank, number 6484, August.
- Maia Green, 2012. "Co-producing ineffective states: social knowledge, social policy and social citizenship in Africa and in development," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series, BWPI, The University of Manchester esid-014-12, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- World Bank, 2007. "Building Knowledge Economies : Advanced Strategies for Development," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, The World Bank, number 6853, August.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Bellver, Ana, 2005. "Transparenting Transparency: Intial Empirics and Policy Applications," MPRA Paper, University Library of Munich, Germany 8188, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Janvry, Alain & Dethier, Jean-Jacques, 2012. "The World Bank and governance : the Bank's efforts to help developing countries build state capacity," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 6275, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2005. "The Cost of Doing Business in Africa : Evidence from the World Bank’s Investment Climate Data," World Bank Other Operational Studies, The World Bank 8769, The World Bank.
- Andrews, Matthew R., 2009. "Isomorphism and the Limits to African Public Financial Management Reform," Scholarly Articles, Harvard Kennedy School of Government 4415942, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- World Bank, 2013. "Dealing with GAC Issues in Project Lending : The Special Case of Fragile and Conflict-Affected States," World Bank Other Operational Studies, The World Bank 16725, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.