International lending, sovereign debt and joint liability : an economic theory model for amending the treaty of Lisbon
AbstractAs the Eurozone crisis drags on, it is evident that a part of the problem lies in the architecture of debt and its liabilities within the Eurozone and, more generally, the European Union. This paper argues that a large part of the problem can be mitigated by permitting appropriately-structured cross-country liability for sovereign debt incurred by individual nations within the European Union. In brief, the paper makes a case for amending the Treaty of Lisbon. The case is established by constructing a game-theoretic model and demonstrating that there exist self-fulfilling equilibria, which would come into existence if cross-country debt liability were permitted and which are Pareto superior to the existing outcome.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 6555.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2013
Date of revision:
Debt Markets; Access to Finance; Banks&Banking Reform; Bankruptcy and Resolution of Financial Distress; Economic Theory&Research;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2013-08-10 (European Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2013-08-10 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Basu, Kaushik, 2000.
"Prelude to Political Economy: A Study of the Social and Political Foundations of Economics,"
OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press,
Oxford University Press, number 9780198296713, October.
- Basu, Kaushik, 2003. "Prelude to Political Economy: A Study of the Social and Political Foundations of Economics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780199261857, October.
- Ghatak, M. & Guinnane, T.W., 1998.
"The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice,"
Papers, Yale - Economic Growth Center
791, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Ghatak, Maitreesh & Guinnane, Timothy W., 1999. "The economics of lending with joint liability: theory and practice," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 195-228, October.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Timothy W. Guinnane, 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Discussion Papers 98-16, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Juan J. Cruces & Christoph Trebesch, 2011.
"Sovereign Defaults: The Price of Haircuts,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3604, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cruces, Juan J. & Trebesch, Christoph, 2013. "Sovereign defaults: The price of haircuts," Munich Reprints in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics 20036, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Basu, Kaushik & Morita, Hodaka, 2005.
"International Credit and Welfare: A Paradoxical Theorem and Its Policy Implications,"
05-04, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Basu, Kaushik & Morita, Hodaka, 2006. "International credit and welfare: A paradoxical theorem and its policy implications," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1507-1528, August.
- Joseph Stiglitz & Jungyoll Yun, 2013. "Optimal Provision of Loans and Insurance Against Unemployment From A Lifetime Perspective," NBER Working Papers 19064, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arnott, Richard & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1991. "Moral Hazard and Nonmarket Institutions: Dysfunctional Crowding Out or Peer Monitoring?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 179-90, March.
- Patrick Bolton & Olivier Jeanne, 2011.
"Sovereign Default Risk and Bank Fragility in Financially Integrated Economies,"
IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 59(2), pages 162-194, June.
- Bolton, Patrick & Jeanne, Olivier, 2011. "Sovereign Default Risk and Bank Fragility in Financially Integrated Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 8358, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patrick Bolton & Olivier Jeanne, 2011. "Sovereign Default Risk and Bank Fragility in Financially Integrated Economies," NBER Working Papers 16899, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Espen Villanger, 2003. "Company interests and foreign aid policy: Playing donors out against each other," CMI Working Papers WP 2003:5, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Hatlebakk, Magnus, 2002.
"A new and robust subgame perfect equilibrium in a model of triadic power relations,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 225-232, June.
- Hatlebakk, M., 2000. "A New and Robust Subgame Perfect Equilibrium in a Model of Triadic Power Relations," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen, Department of Economics, University of Bergen 2400, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Patrick Rey & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1993. "Short-Term Contracts as a Monitoring Device," NBER Working Papers 4514, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.