Food standards and exports : evidence from China
AbstractUsing a new database on Chinese food standards, this paper estimates the impact of volunta-ry and mandatory standards on its agricultural and food exports. The dataset covers seven Chinese products from 1992 to 2008. The findings here indicate that standards have a posi-tive effect on China's export performance. Standards signal to customers that products meet certain quality measures and promote information exchange. The benefits of increased ex-ports outweigh compliance costs. Our results also show that theses positive effects are larger when the standards are consistent with international norms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5976.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Food&Beverage Industry; Information Security&Privacy; Labor Policies; Scientific Research&Science Parks; Science Education;
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-AGR-2012-02-27 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-TRA-2012-02-27 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chunlai Chen & Jun Yang & Christopher Findlay, 2008. "Measuring the Effect of Food Safety Standards on China’s Agricultural Exports," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 144(1), pages 83-106, April.
- Tsunehiro Otsuki & John S. Wilson, 2001. "What price precaution? European harmonisation of aflatoxin regulations and African groundnut exports," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 28(3), pages 263-284, October.
- Gale, H. Frederick, Jr. & Buzby, Jean C., 2009. "Imports From China and Food Safety Issues," Economic Information Bulletin 58620, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- John Hudson & Philip Jones, 2003. "International trade in 'quality goods': signalling problems for developing countries," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(8), pages 999-1013.
- Wilson, John S. & Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Majumdar, Baishali, 2003.
"Balancing Food Safety And Risk: Do Drug Residue Limits Affect International Trade In Beef?,"
2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada
21971, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- John Wilson & Tsunehiro Otsuki & Baishali Majumdsar, 2003. "Balancing food safety and risk: do drug residue limits affect international trade in beef?," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 377-402.
- Jonathan Eaton & Akiko Tamura, 1995.
"Bilateralism and Regionalism in Japanese and U.S. Trade and Direct Foreign Investment Patterns,"
NBER Working Papers
4758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eaton Jonathan & Tamura Akiko, 1994. "Bilateralism and Regionalism in Japanese and U.S. Trade and Direct Foreign Investment Patterns," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 478-510, December.
- Jonathan Eaton & Akilo Tamura, 1994. "Bilateralism and Regionalism in Japanese and U.S. Trade and Direct Foreign Investment Patterns," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 48, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Czubala, Witold & Shepherd, Ben & Wilson, John S., 2007. "Help or hindrance ? the impact of harmonized standards on african exports," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4400, The World Bank.
- Broughton, Edward I. & Walker, Damian G., 2010. "Policies and practices for aquaculture food safety in China," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 471-478, October.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Portugal‐Perez & José‐Daniel Reyes & John S. Wilson, 2010.
"Beyond the Information Technology Agreement: Harmonisation of Standards and Trade in Electronics,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(12), pages 1870-1897, December.
- Portugal-Perez, Alberto & Reyes, Jose-Daniel & Wilson, John S., 2009. "Beyond the information technology agreement : harmonization of standards and trade in electronics," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4916, The World Bank.
- Maskus, Keith E. & Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Wilson, John S., 2005. "The cost of compliance with product standards for firms in developing countries: an econometric study," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3590, The World Bank.
- Julie A. Caswell & Neal H. Hooker, 1996. "HACCP as an International Trade Standard," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 775-779.
- G.M. Peter Swann, 2010. "International Standards and Trade: A Review of the Empirical Literature," OECD Trade Policy Papers 97, OECD Publishing.
- Knut Blind & Andre Jungmittag, 2005. "Trade and the impact of innovations and standards: the case of Germany and the UK," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(12), pages 1385-1398.
- de Melo, Jaime & Portugal-Pérez, Alberto, 2008. "Rules of Origin, Preferences and Diversification in Apparel: African Exports to the US and to the EU," CEPR Discussion Papers 7072, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cheng Fang & John C. Beghin, 2000.
"Food Self-Sufficiency, Comparative Advantage, and Agricultural Trade: A Policy Analysis Matrix for Chinese Agriculture,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
99-wp223, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Cheng Fang & John C. Beghin, 2000. "Food Self-Sufficiency, Comparative Advantage, and Agricultural Trade: A Policy Analysis Matrix for Chinese Agriculture," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 99-wp223, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Swann, Peter & Temple, Paul & Shurmer, Mark, 1996. "Standards and Trade Performance: The UK Experience," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1297-1313, September.
- Schuster, Monica & Maertens, Miet, 2013. "Food Standards, Heterogeneous Firms and Developing Countries’ Export Performance," Working Papers 152084, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.