A hybrid approach to efficiency measurement with empirical illustrations from education and health
AbstractInefficiency is commonplace, yet exercises aimed at improving provider performance efforts to date to measure inefficiency and use it in benchmarking exercises have not been altogether satisfactory. This paper proposes a new approach that blends the themes of Data Envelopment Analysis and the Stochastic Frontier Approach to measure overall efficiency. The hybrid approach nonparametrically estimates inefficiency by comparing actual performance with comparable real-life"best practice"on the frontier and could be useful in exercises aimed at improving provider performance. Four applications in the education and health sectors are used to illustrate the features and strengths of this hybrid approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5751.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Health Monitoring&Evaluation; Health Systems Development&Reform; Tertiary Education; Disease Control&Prevention; Education For All;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2011-08-15 (Econometrics)
- NEP-EFF-2011-08-15 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-HEA-2011-08-15 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- António Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2005. "Non-parametric approaches to education and health efficiency in OECD countries," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 227-246, November.
- Edwin Leuven & Barbara Sianesi, 2003. "PSMATCH2: Stata module to perform full Mahalanobis and propensity score matching, common support graphing, and covariate imbalance testing," Statistical Software Components S432001, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 Feb 2014.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art,"
9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Andrew Worthington, 2001. "An Empirical Survey of Frontier Efficiency Measurement Techniques in Education," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 245-268.
- Thomas Fuchs & Ludger Wößmann, 2007.
"What accounts for international differences in student performance? A re-examination using PISA data,"
Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 433-464, May.
- Thomas Fuchs & Ludger Woessmann, 2004. "What Accounts for International Differences in Student Performance? A Re-examination using PISA Data," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 274, Econometric Society.
- Fuchs, Thomas & Woessmann, Ludger, 2004. "What Accounts for International Differences in Student Performance? A Re-Examination Using PISA Data," IZA Discussion Papers 1287, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Unto Häkkinen & Isabelle Joumard, 2007. "Cross-Country Analysis of Efficiency in OECD Health Care Sectors: Options for Research," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 554, OECD Publishing.
- Deller, Steven C. & Rudnicki, Edward, 1993. "Production efficiency in elementary education: The case of Maine public schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 45-57, March.
- Crampes, C. & Hollander, A., 1991.
"Duopoly and Quality Standards,"
Cahiers de recherche
9128, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Bruce Hollingsworth & Andrew Street, 2006. "The market for efficiency analysis of health care organisations," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(10), pages 1055-1059.
- Bruce Hollingsworth, 2008. "The measurement of efficiency and productivity of health care delivery," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(10), pages 1107-1128.
- Andreas Ammermüller, 2004.
"PISA : what makes the difference?,"
Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor
04-07, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- Weaver, Marcia & Deolalikar, Anil, 2004. "Economies of scale and scope in Vietnamese hospitals," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 199-208, July.
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
- Emiliana Vegas & Chelsea Coffin, 2012. "Education Finance : It's How, Not Simply How Much, That Counts," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10056, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2011. "Saber - School Finance Objectives and Conceptual Approach," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12560, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.