The measurement of efficiency and productivity of health care delivery
AbstractThe measurement of efficiency and productivity of health service delivery has become a small industry. This is a review of 317 published papers on frontier efficiency measurement. The techniques used are mainly based on non-parametric data envelopment analysis, but there is increasing use of parametric techniques, such as stochastic frontier analysis. Applications to hospitals and other health care organizations and areas are reviewed and summarised, and some meta-type analysis undertaken. Cautious conclusions are that public provision may be potentially more efficient than private, in certain settings. The paper also considers conceptualizations of efficiency, and points to dangers and opportunities in generating such information. Finally, some criteria for assessing the use and usefulness of efficiency studies are established, with a view to helping both researchers and those assessing whether or not to act upon published results. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Health Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (2008)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Ferrier & Michael Rosko & Vivian Valdmanis, 2006. "Analysis of uncompensated hospital care using a DEA model of output congestion," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 181-188, May.
- Suthathip Yaisawarng & James F. Burgess, 2006. "Performance-based budgeting in the public sector: an illustration from the VA health care system," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 295-310.
- Kontodimopoulos, Nick & Niakas, Dimitris, 2005. "Efficiency measurement of hemodialysis units in Greece with data envelopment analysis," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 195-204, February.
- Maniadakis, Nikolaos & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2004. "A cost Malmquist productivity index," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 396-409, April.
- Butler, Timothy W. & Li, Ling, 2005. "The utility of returns to scale in DEA programming: An analysis of Michigan rural hospitals," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 469-477, March.
- Brenda Gannon, 2005.
"Testing for Variation in Technical Efficiency of Hospitals in Ireland,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 36(3), pages 273-294.
- Gannon, Brenda, 2005. "Testing for Variation in Technical Efficiency of Hospitals in Ireland," Papers HRBWP20, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Bruce Hollingsworth & P.J. Dawson & N. Maniadakis, 1999. "Efficiency measurement of health care: a review of non‐parametric methods and applications," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 161-172, July.
- Chen, Andrew & Hwang, Yuhchang & Shao, Benjamin, 2005. "Measurement and sources of overall and input inefficiencies: Evidences and implications in hospital services," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 447-468, March.
- Bruce Hollingsworth & Andrew Street, 2006. "The market for efficiency analysis of health care organisations," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(10), pages 1055-1059.
- Jos Blank & Vivian Valdmanis, 2005. "A modified three-stage data envelopment analysis," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 65-72, March.
- Pestieau, P. & Tulkens, H., 1990. "Assessing the performance of the public sector activities: some recent evidence from the productive efficiency viewpoint," CORE Discussion Papers 1990060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Benoit Dervaux & Gary Ferrier & Herve Leleu & Vivian Valdmanis, 2004. "Comparing French and US hospital technologies: a directional input distance function approach," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(10), pages 1065-1081.
- António Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2005. "Non-parametric approaches to education and health efficiency in OECD countries," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 227-246, November.
- Juha Laine & Miika Linna & Unto Häkkinen & Anja Noro, 2005. "Measuring the productive efficiency and clinical quality of institutional long-term care for the elderly," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 245-256.
- Grosskopf, Shawna & Margaritis, Dimitri & Valdmanis, Vivian, 2004. "Competitive effects on teaching hospitals," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 515-525, April.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2004. "An Empirical Analysis of Cost Efficiency in Non-profit and Public Nursing Homes," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(3), pages 339-365, 09.
- Wagner, Janet M. & Shimshak, Daniel G. & Novak, Michael A., 2003. "Advances in physician profiling: the use of DEA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 141-163, June.
- Matthias Staat, 2003. "The efficiency of treatment strategies of general practitioners," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 232-238, September.
- Anthony J. Culyer, 2006. "The bogus conflict between efficiency and vertical equity," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(11), pages 1155-1158.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Bak jubelen
by Ingrid W. in Manifest Analyse on 2011-09-21 14:33:08
- Bak jubelen
by Ingrid W. in Manifest Analyse on 2011-09-26 11:26:23
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.