Adult mortality and children's transition into marriage
AbstractAdult mortality due to HIV/AIDS and other diseases is posited to affect children through a number of pathways. On top of health and education outcomes, adult mortality can have significant effects on children by influencing demographic outcomes including the timing of marriage. The authors examine marriage outcomes for a sample of children interviewed in Tanzania in the early 1990s and re-interviewed in 2004. They find that while girls who became paternal orphans married at significantly younger ages, orphanhood had little effect on boys. On the other hand, non-parental deaths in the household affect the timing of marriage for boys
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 4139.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Population Policies; Youth and Governance; Population&Development; Adolescent Health; Street Children;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2007-03-03 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2007-03-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2007-03-03 (Development)
- NEP-EDU-2007-03-03 (Education)
- NEP-HEA-2007-03-03 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Dercon & Kathleen Beegle, 2007.
"Adult Mortality and Consumption Growth in the Age of HIV/AIDS,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2007-02, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Kathleen Beegle & Joachim De Weerdt & Stefan Dercon, 2008. "Adult Mortality and Consumption Growth in the Age of HIV/AIDS," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 299-326.
- Kathleen Beegle & Joachim De Weerdt & Stefan Dercon, 2007. "Adult Mortality and Consumption Growth in the Age of HIV/AIDS," CSAE Working Paper Series 2007-02, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Beegle, Kathleen & De Weerdt, Joachim & Dercon, Stefan, 2006. "Adult mortality and consumption growth in the age of HIV/AIDS," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4082, The World Bank.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Stark, Oded, 1987.
"Consumption Smoothing, Migration and Marriage: Evidence from Rural India,"
7515, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R & Stark, Oded, 1989. "Consumption Smoothing, Migration, and Marriage: Evidence from Rural India," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 905-26, August.
- Alderman, Harold & Watkins, Susan Cotts & Kohler, Hans-Peter & Maluccio, John A. & Behrman, Jere R., 2000.
"Attrition in longitudinal household survey data,"
FCND discussion papers
96, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Thiele, Rainer & Omar Mahmoud, Toman, 2010.
"Does AIDS-Related Mortality Reduce Per-Capita Household Income? Evidence from Rural Zambia,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
37508, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Omar Mahmoud, Toman & Thiele, Rainer, 2010. "Does AIDS-Related Mortality Reduce Per-Capita Household Income? Evidence from Rural Zambia," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010 18, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Toman Omar Mahmoud & Rainer Thiele, 2009. "Does AIDS-Related Mortality Reduce Per-Capita Household Income? Evidence from Rural Zambia," Kiel Working Papers 1530, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Beegle, Kathleen & Filmer, Deon & Stokes, Andrew & Tiererova, Lucia, 2010.
"Orphanhood and the Living Arrangements of Children in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 1727-1746, December.
- Beegle, Kathleen & Filmer, Deon & Stokes, Andrew & Tiererova, Lucia, 2009. "Orphanhood and the living arrangements of children in sub-saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4889, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.