Decentralization and service delivery
AbstractDissatisfied with centralized approaches to delivering local public services, a large number of countries are decentralizing responsibility for these services to lower-level, locally elected governments. The results have been mixed. The paper provides a framework for evaluating the benefits and costs, in terms of service delivery, of different approaches to decentralization, based on relationships of accountability between different actors in the delivery chain. Moving from a model of central provision to that of decentralization to local governments introduces a new relationship of accountability-between national and local policymakers-while altering existing relationships, such as that between citizens and elected politicians. Only by examining how these relationships change can we understand why decentralization can, and sometimes cannot, lead to better service delivery. In particular, the various instruments of decentralization-fiscal, administrative, regulatory, market, and financial-can affect the incentives facing service providers, even though they relate only to local policymakers. Likewise, and perhaps more significantly, the incentives facing local and national politicians can have a profound effect on the provision of local services. Finally, the process of implementing decentralization can be as important as the design of the system in influencing service delivery outcomes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 3603.
Date of creation: 01 May 2005
Date of revision:
Public Sector Economics&Finance; National Governance; Banks&Banking Reform; Municipal Financial Management; Governance Indicators;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-12-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mansuri, Ghazala & Rao, Vijayendra, 2004.
"Community-based (and driven) development : A critical review,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3209, The World Bank.
- Ghazala Mansuri, 2004. "Community-Based and -Driven Development: A Critical Review," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 19(1), pages 1-39.
- Hamid Davoodi & Heng-fu Zou, 1996.
"Fiscal Decentralization and Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Study,"
CEMA Working Papers, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics
98, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Davoodi, Hamid & Zou, Heng-fu, 1998. "Fiscal Decentralization and Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Study," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 244-257, March.
- Stuti Khemani, 2006. "Local Government Accountability for Health Service Delivery in Nigeria," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 15(2), pages 285-312, June.
- Filmer, Deon & Pritchett, Lant, 1999. "The impact of public spending on health: does money matter?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 49(10), pages 1309-1323, November.
- Robert P. Inman, 1992. "Can Philadelphia escape its fiscal crisis with another tax increase?," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue Sep, pages 5-20.
- Reinikka, Ritva & Svensson, Jakob, 2001.
"Explaining Leakage of Public Funds,"
Working Paper Series, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Reinikka, Ritva & Svensson, Jakob, 2001. "Explaining leakage of public funds," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2709, The World Bank.
- Reinikka, Ritva & Svensson, Jakob, 2002. "Explaining Leakage of Public Funds," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 3227, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Faguet, Jean-Paul, 2001. "Does decentralization increase responsiveness to local needs? - evidence from Bolivia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2516, The World Bank.
- Khemani, Stuti, 2001. "Decentralization and accountability : are voters more vigilant in local than in national elections ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2557, The World Bank.
- Deon Filmer & Lant Pritchett, 1999. "The Effect of Household Wealth on Educational Attainment: Evidence from 35 Countries," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., The Population Council, Inc., vol. 25(1), pages 85-120.
- John Akin & Paul Hutchinson & Koleman Strumpf, 2005. "Decentralisation and government provision of public goods: The public health sector in Uganda," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(8), pages 1417-1443.
- Khemani, Stuti, 2007. "Does delegation of fiscal policy to an independent agency make a difference? Evidence from intergovernmental transfers in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 464-484, March.
- Filmer, Deon & Hammer, Jeffrey S & Pritchett, Lant H, 2000. "Weak Links in the Chain: A Diagnosis of Health Policy in Poor Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 15(2), pages 199-224, August.
- repec:idb:brikps:70098 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ahmad Zafarullah Abdul Jalil & Mukaramah Harun & Siti Hadijah Che Mat, 2012. "Macroeconomic Instability and Fiscal Decentralization: An Empirical Analysis," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(2), pages 150-165.
- Independent Evaluation Group, 2010. "Water and Development : An Evaluation of World Bank Support, 1997-2007, Volume 1," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2485, August.
- Daniel Benitez & Antonio Estache & Tina Soreide, 2010.
"Dealing with Politics for Money and Power in Infrastructure,"
Working Papers ECARES, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles
ECARES 2010-031, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Benitez, Daniel & Estache, Antonio & Soreide, Tina, 2010. "Dealing with politics for money and power in infrastructure," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5455, The World Bank.
- Sara Giannozzi & Asmeen Khan, 2013. "Strengthening Governance of Social Safety Nets in ASEAN," World Bank Other Operational Studies 16722, The World Bank.
- Abdul Jalil, Ahmad Zafarullah, 2009. "Decentralization, Subnational Governments' Behaviour and Macroeconomic Instability: The Case of Malaysia," MPRA Paper 19071, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Skoufias, Emmanuel & Narayan, Ambar & Dasgupta, Basab & Kaiser, Kai, 2011. "Electoral accountability, fiscal decentralization and service delivery in Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5614, The World Bank.
- King, Elizabeth M. & Orazem, Peter F. & Paterno, Elizabeth M., 2008.
"Promotion with and without learning : effects on student enrollment and dropout behavior,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4722, The World Bank.
- King, Elizabeth M. & Orazem, Peter & Paterno, Elizabeth M., 2008. "Promotion with and Without Learning: Effects on Student Enrollment and Dropout Behavior," Staff General Research Papers, Iowa State University, Department of Economics 12968, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- World Bank, 2008. "Guinea - Decentralization in Guinea : Strengthening Accountability for Better Service Delivery," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7891, The World Bank.
- Baltusnikiene, Jurate, 2009.
"Viešojo valdymo sistemos decentralizacija: turinys, pranašumai ir trūkumai
[The decentralization of public management systems]," MPRA Paper 16561, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gonçalves, Sónia, 2014. "The Effects of Participatory Budgeting on Municipal Expenditures and Infant Mortality in Brazil," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 94-110.
- Vásquez, William F., 2011. "Household preferences and governance of water services: A hedonic analysis from rural Guatemala," IFPRI discussion papers, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 1152, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Dasgupta, Basab & Narayan, Ambar & Skoufias, Emmanuel, 2009. "Measuring the quality of education and health services : the use of perception data from Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5033, The World Bank.
- Fabio Sánchez, 2006. "Descentralización Y Progreso En El Acceso A Los Servicios Sociales De Educación, Salud Y Agua Y Alcantarillado," DOCUMENTOS CEDE, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE 002287, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- World Bank, 2007. "Local Government Discretion and Accountability : A Local Governance Framework," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7859, The World Bank.
- Giorgio Brosio & Ehtisham Ahmad & Maria Gonzalez, 2006. "Uganda," IMF Working Papers 06/279, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.