Decentralisation and government provision of public goods: The public health sector in Uganda
AbstractWhile many developing countries have devolved health care responsibilities to local governments in recent years, no study has examined whether decentralisation actually leads to greater health sector allocative efficiency. This paper approaches this question by modeling local government budgeting decisions under decentralisation. The model leads to conclusions not all favourable to decentralisation and produces several testable hypotheses concerning local government spending choices. For a brief empirical test of the model we look at data from Uganda. The data are of a type seldom available to researchers-actual local government budgets for the health sector in a developing country. The health budgets are disaggregated into specific types of activities based on a subjective characterisation of each activity's 'publicness'. The empirical results provide preliminary evidence that local government health planners are allocating declining proportions of their budgets to public goods activities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 41 (2005)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pranab Bardhan & Dilip Mookherjee, 1998. "Expenditure Decentralization and the Delivery of Public Services in Developing Countries," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 90, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Abdul Jalil, Ahmad Zafarullah, 2009. "Decentralization, Subnational Governments' Behaviour and Macroeconomic Instability: The Case of Malaysia," MPRA Paper 19071, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Emilie Caldeira, 2011.
"Yardstick competition in a Federation: Theory and Evidence from China,"
- Caldeira, Emilie, 2012. "Yardstick competition in a federation: Theory and evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 878-897.
- Emilie CALDEIRA, 2010. "Yardstick competition in a Federation: Theory and Evidence from China," Working Papers 201018, CERDI.
- Jean-Paul Faguet & Zulfiqar Ali, 2007. "A tale of two Upazilas : local governance and social development in Bangladesh," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2396, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Emilie Caldeira & Grégoire Rota-Graziosi & Martial Foucault, 2011.
"Decentralization in Africa and the nature of local governments' competition: evidence from Benin,"
- Emilie Caldeira & Martial Foucault & Grégoire Rota-Graziosi, 2012. "Decentralisation in Africa and the Nature of Local Governments' Competition: Evidence from Benin," NBER Working Papers 18126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grégoire ROTA-GRAZIOSI & Emilie CALDEIRA & Martial FOUCAULT, 2010. "Decentralization in Africa and the nature of local governments' competition: evidence from Benin," Working Papers 201019, CERDI.
- Karima Saleh, 2012. "World Bank study : A Health Sector in Transition to Universal Coverage in Ghana," World Bank Other Operational Studies 2728, The World Bank.
- Paula Salinas & Albert Solé-Ollé, 2009.
"Evaluating the effects of decentralization on educational outcomes in Spain,"
2009/10, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Paula Salinas Pena & Albert Sole-Olle, 2009. "Evaluating the effects of decentralization on educational outcomes in Spain," Working Papers in Economics 228, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Wielgosz, Benjamin & Mangheni, Margaret Najjingo & Tsegai, Daniel & Ringler, Claudia, 2012. "Malaria and agriculture: A global review of the literature with a focus on the application of integrated pest and vector management in East Africa and Uganda," IFPRI discussion papers 1232, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bernard F. Couttolenc, 2012. "Decentralization and Governance in the Ghana Health Sector," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 9376, October.
- Ahmad, Junaid & Devarajan, Shantayanan & Khemani, Stuti & Shah, Shekhar, 2005. "Decentralization and service delivery," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3603, The World Bank.
- Khaleghian, Peyvand, 2003. "Decentralization and public services : the case of immunization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2989, The World Bank.
- Khaleghian, Peyvand & Gupta, Monica Das, 2005. "Public management and the essential public health functions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1083-1099, July.
- Anila Channa & Jean-Paul Faguet, 2012. "Decentralization of Health and Education in Developing Countries: A Quality-Adjusted Review of the Empirical Literature," STICERD - Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers Series 038, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Antón, José-Ignacio & Muñoz de Bustillo, Rafael & Fernández-Macías, Enrique & Rivera, Jesús, 2012. "Effects of health care decentralization in Spain from a citizens’ perspective," MPRA Paper 39423, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Faguet, Jean-Paul & Ali, Zulfiqar, 2009. "Making Reform Work: Institutions, Dispositions, and the Improving Health of Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 208-218, January.
- Dolores Jimenez & Peter C Smith, . "Decentralisation of health care and its impact on health outcomes," Discussion Papers 05/10, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Khaleghian, Peyvand & Das Gupta Monica, 2004. "Public management and essential public health functions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3220, The World Bank.
- André Martínez & Carolina Rodríguez-Zamora, 2011. "An Evaluation of the 1997 Fiscal Decentralization Reform in Mexico: The Case of the Health Sector," Working Papers 2011-16, Banco de México.
- Hai Zhong, 2010. "The impact of decentralization of health care administration on equity in health and health care in Canada," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 219-237, September.
- Bashaasha, Bernard & Mangheni, Margaret Najjingo & Nkonya, Ephraim, 2011. "Decentralization and rural service delivery in Uganda:," IFPRI discussion papers 1063, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.