The external effects of public sector deficits
AbstractThis paper develops a two equation model for measuring how public sector deficits - and the way that they are financed - affect the real exchange rate, the trade balance, the current account and the level of external indebtedness. One equation relates the real exchange rate to the trade surplus and the other describes the trade surplus as a function of structural parameters, the fiscal deficit, and the stock of foreign assets. To make the model dynamic, one must allow for the fact that the level of foreign assets - one determinant of the trade surplus and current account - changes over time. The trade surplus, plus foreign internest earned, determines the evolution over time of the stock of foreign assets. Using this model, the paper makes the following conclusions. The level and composition of government spending affects the real exchange rate because of the effect of spending on nontraded goods. Changes in the trade balance are also bound to affect the real exchange rate. How much depends on how much expenditure must be switched to make the trade balance compatible with the change in aggregate spending.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 299.
Date of creation: 30 Nov 1989
Date of revision:
Economic Theory&Research; Economic Stabilization; Environmental Economics&Policies; Macroeconomic Management; Public Sector Economics&Finance;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1977. "A Model of Exchange Rate Determination under Currency Substitution and Rational Expectations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 617-25, June.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1974. "Tariffs and nontraded goods," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 177-185, May.
- Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1989. "Macroeconomic policies for structural adjustment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 247, The World Bank.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1973. "Currency Depreciation, Hoarding, and Relative Prices," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 893-915, July-Aug..
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Razin, Assaf, 1986. "Fiscal Policies in the World Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 564-94, June.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Carlos A. Rodriguez, 1982. "Exchange Rate Dynamics and the Overshooting Hypothesis," NBER Working Papers 0832, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Soledad Arellano & Felipe Larraín, 1996. "Tipo de Cambio Real y Gasto Público: Un Modelo Econométrico para Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 33(98), pages 47-76.
- Marco Arnone & Luca Bandiera & Andrea Presbitero, 2005. "External Debt Sustainability: Theory and Empirical Evidence," International Finance 0512007, EconWPA.
- Marcelo Dabos & V. Hugo Juan- Ramon, 1998. "Real Exchange Rate Response to Capital Flows in Mexico: An Empirical Analysis," Working Papers 21, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Dec 1999.
- Easterly, William & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1991. "The macroeconomics of public sector deficits : a synthesis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 775, The World Bank.
- Baffes, John & Elbadawi, Ibrahim A. & O'Connell, Stephen A., 1997. "Single-equation estimation of the equilibrium real exchange rate," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1800, The World Bank.
- Larry A. Sjaastad & Meher Manzur, 2003. "Import Protection, Capital Inflows, and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 177-203, May.
- Satish Chand, 2001. "How misaligned is the Australian real exchange rate?," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec01-2, International and Development Economics.
- Faini, Riccardo & de Melo, Jaime, 1991. "Fiscal issues in adjustment : an introduction," Policy Research Working Paper Series 724, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.