Macroeconomic policies for structural adjustment
AbstractStructural adjustment is an economy wide adjustment effort aimed at allocating resources better. The author contends that functioning markets and a low, stable inflation rate are two macroeconomic preconditions for implementing structural adjustment. He further concludes that in highly distorted economies the market system must be restored before adjustment efforts are undertaken. Fiscal deficits are probably a key determinant of trade deficits - particularly when the fiscal deficit is financed abroad. This paper is concerned with the identification of macroeconomic policies consistent with the long run sustainability of a stable market framework or with changes that may be required as a consequence of the implementation of the structural adjustment program. It is not directly concerned with issues of short run stabilization, although those issues, particularly that of the timing of policies are mentioned whenever relevant.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 247.
Date of creation: 31 Aug 1989
Date of revision:
Economic Stabilization; Environmental Economics&Policies; Economic Theory&Research; Macroeconomic Management; Banks&Banking Reform;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ndlela, Thandinkosi, 2010. "Implications of real exchange rate misalignment in developing countries: theory, empirical evidence and application to growth performance in Zimbabwe," MPRA Paper 32710, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlos A. Rodríguez, 1990.
"The External Effects of Public Sector Deficits,"
CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo.
70, Universidad del CEMA.
- Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1991. "The macroeconomics of the public sector deficit : the case of Argentina," Policy Research Working Paper Series 632, The World Bank.
- Kemme, David M. & Roy, Saktinil, 2006.
"Real exchange rate misalignment: Prelude to crisis?,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 207-230, October.
- David M. Kemme & Saktinil Roy, 2005. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignment: Prelude to Crisis?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp797, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim A. & Soto, Raimundo, 1994. "Capital flows and long-term equilibrium real exchange rates in Chile," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1306, The World Bank.
- Matin, Kazi M., 1992. "Fiscal adjustment and the real exchange rate : the case of Bangladesh," Policy Research Working Paper Series 850, The World Bank.
- Aron, Janine & Elbadawi, Ibrahim A., 1992. "Parallel markets, the foreign exchange auction, and exchange rate unification in Zambia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 909, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.