Need for closure, gender and social self-esteem of youngsters
AbstractThe present study focuses on social self-esteem of youngsters (i.e. esteem derived from approval of others), a widespread, important pursuit of youngsters in modern society. More specifically, we explored the relationship between social self-esteem on the one hand, and an individual difference measure, Need for Closure, and gender on the other hand. Results show that NFCL and gender significantly relate to social self-esteem values like eagerness for approval and tranquility, achievement pressure and competence orientation, individualism, independency and appearance mindedness. NFCL and gender also affect youngster’s social esteem related self-images. In addition, interesting interaction effects were identified. Limitations and directions for future research are suggested.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School in its series Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series with number 2005-33.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 12 Feb 2006
Date of revision:
Need for Closure; Values; Self-Image; Gender; Social Self-Esteem;
Other versions of this item:
- I. Vermeir & M. Geuens, 2004. "Need for Closure, Gender and Social Self-Esteem of youngsters," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/270, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBE-2006-02-26 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-SOC-2006-02-26 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vermeir, Iris & Van Kenhove, Patrick & Hendrickx, Hendrik, 2002. "The influence of need for closure on consumer's choice behaviour," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 703-727, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabelle Vandenbroere).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.