Efficient Gibbs Sampling for Markov Switching GARCH Models
AbstractWe develop efficient simulation techniques for Bayesian inference on switching GARCH models. Our contribution to existing literature is manifold. First, we discuss different multi-move sampling techniques for Markov Switching (MS) state space models with particular attention to MS-GARCH models. Our multi-move sampling strategy is based on the Forward Filtering Backward Sampling (FFBS) applied to an approximation of MS-GARCH. Another important contribution is the use of multi-point samplers, such as the Multiple-Try Metropolis (MTM) and the Multiple trial Metropolize Independent Sampler, in combination with FFBS for the MS-GARCH process. In this sense we ex- tend to the MS state space models the work of So  on efficient MTM sampler for continuous state space models. Finally, we suggest to further improve the sampler efficiency by introducing the antithetic sampling of Craiu and Meng  and Craiu and Lemieux  within the FFBS. Our simulation experiments on MS-GARCH model show that our multi-point and multi-move strategies allow the sampler to gain efficiency when compared with single-move Gibbs sampling.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari" in its series Working Papers with number 2012:35.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Cannaregio, S. Giobbe no 873 , 30121 Venezia
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.economia
More information through EDIRC
Bayesian inference; GARCH; Markov switching; Multiple-try Metropolis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- G17 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Financial Forecasting and Simulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chang-Jin Kim & Charles R. Nelson, 1999. "State-Space Models with Regime Switching: Classical and Gibbs-Sampling Approaches with Applications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262112388, January.
- Thomas Mikosch & Catalin Starica, 2004. "Non-stationarities in financial time series, the long range dependence and the IGARCH effects," Econometrics 0412005, EconWPA.
- Dueker, Michael J, 1997.
"Markov Switching in GARCH Processes and Mean-Reverting Stock-Market Volatility,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 15(1), pages 26-34, January.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Dueker(1997) Markov switching GARCH models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00048, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Michael Dueker, 1995. "Markov switching in GARCH processes and mean reverting stock market volatility," Working Papers 1994-015, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Robert J. Elliott & John W. Lau & Hong Miao & Tak Kuen Siu, 2012. "Viterbi-Based Estimation for Markov Switching GARCH Model," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 219-231, August.
- Franc Klaassen, 2002. "Improving GARCH volatility forecasts with regime-switching GARCH," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 363-394.
- Billio, M. & Monfort, A. & Robert, C. P., 1999. "Bayesian estimation of switching ARMA models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 229-255, December.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Abramson, Ari & Cohen, Israel, 2007. "On The Stationarity Of Markov-Switching Garch Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(03), pages 485-500, June.
- Luc Bauwens & Arie Preminger & Jeroen V. K. Rombouts, 2010.
"Theory and inference for a Markov switching GARCH model,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 13(2), pages 218-244, 07.
- Luc Bauwens & Arie Preminger & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts, 2007. "Theory and inference for a Markov switching Garch model," Cahiers de recherche 07-09, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Luc, BAUWENS & Arie, PREMINGER & Jeroen, ROMBOUTS, 2007. "Theory and inference for a Markov switching GARCH model," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2007033, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- BAUWENS, Luc & PREMINGER, Arie & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, . "Theory and inference for a Markov switching Garch model," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2303, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & Arie Preminger & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts, 2007. "Theory and Inference for a Markov-Switching GARCH Model," Cahiers de recherche 0733, CIRPEE.
- BAUWENS, Luc & PREMINGER, Arie & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen V.K., 2007. "Theory and inference for a Markov switching GARCH model," CORE Discussion Papers 2007055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marcucci Juri, 2005. "Forecasting Stock Market Volatility with Regime-Switching GARCH Models," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(4), pages 1-55, December.
- Markus Haas, 2004. "A New Approach to Markov-Switching GARCH Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(4), pages 493-530.
- Chib, Siddhartha, 1996. "Calculating posterior distributions and modal estimates in Markov mixture models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 79-97, November.
- Hamilton, James D. & Susmel, Raul, 1994.
"Autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity and changes in regime,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 307-333.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate Hamilton-Susmel Markov Switching ARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00083, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Roberto Casarin & Radu Craiu & Fabrizio Leisen, 2011. "Interacting multiple -- Try algorithms with different proposal distributions," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws110402, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Jan Henneke & Svetlozar Rachev & Frank Fabozzi & Metodi Nikolov, 2011. "MCMC-based estimation of Markov Switching ARMA-GARCH models," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(3), pages 259-271.
- Cai, Jun, 1994. "A Markov Model of Switching-Regime ARCH," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 309-16, July.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1990. "Persistence in Variance, Structural Change, and the GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 225-34, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Ludbrook).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.