MCMC-based estimation of Markov Switching ARMA-GARCH models
AbstractRegime switching models, especially Markov Switching (MS) models, are regarded as a promising way to capture nonlinearities in time series. Combining the elements of MS models with full Autoregressive Moving Average-Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity (ARMA-GARCH) models poses severe difficulties for the computation of parameter estimators. Existing methods can become completely unfeasible due to the full path dependence of such models. In this article, we demonstrate how to overcome this problem. We formulate a full MS-ARMA-GARCH model and its Bayes estimator. This facilitates the use of Markov Chain Monte Carlo methods and allows us to develop an algorithm to compute the Bayes estimator of the regimes and parameters of our model. The approach is illustrated on simulated data and with returns from the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). Our model is then compared to other approaches and clearly proves to be advantageous.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 43 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/00036846.html
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- BAUWENS, Luc & PREMINGER, Arie & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen V.K., 2007.
"Theory and inference for a Markov switching GARCH model,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2007055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & Arie Preminger & Jeroen V. K. Rombouts, 2010. "Theory and inference for a Markov switching GARCH model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 13(2), pages 218-244, 07.
- Luc Bauwens & Arie Preminger & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts, 2007. "Theory and Inference for a Markov-Switching GARCH Model," Cahiers de recherche 0733, CIRPEE.
- Luc Bauwens & Arie Preminger & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts, 2007. "Theory and inference for a Markov switching Garch model," Cahiers de recherche 07-09, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Luc, BAUWENS & Arie, PREMINGER & Jeroen, ROMBOUTS, 2007. "Theory and inference for a Markov switching GARCH model," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2007033, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Monica Billio & Roberto Casarin & Anthony Osuntuyi, 2012. "Efficient Gibbs Sampling for Markov Switching GARCH Models," Working Papers 2012:35, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Luc Bauwens & Nikolaus Hautsch, 2007.
"Modelling Financial High Frequency Data Using Point Processes,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2007-066, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- BAUWENS, Luc & HAUTSCH, Nikolaus, 2006. "Modelling financial high frequency data using point processes," CORE Discussion Papers 2006080, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc, BAUWENS & Nikolaus, HAUTSCH, 2006. "Modelling Financial High Frequency Data Using Point Processes," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2006039, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- David Ardia & Lennart F. Hoogerheide, 2010.
"Efficient Bayesian Estimation and Combination of GARCH-Type Models,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
10-046/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Ardia, David & Hoogerheide, Lennart F., 2010. "Efficient Bayesian estimation and combination of GARCH-type models," MPRA Paper 22919, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Szabolcs Blazsek & Anna Downarowicz, 2008. "Regime switching models of hedge fund returns," Faculty Working Papers 12/08, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- DUFAYS, Arnaud, 2012. "Infinite-state Markov-switching for dynamic volatility and correlation models," CORE Discussion Papers 2012043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.