The Research Output of Academic Economists in Brazil
AbstractThis paper presents productivity rankings of economics departments and economists in Brazil. The results are: 1) At individual level, only 9 out of 497 economists managed to publish at least one paper in the top journals of economics, and 52 economists published at least one paper in a wide list of international journals; 2) The areas in which Brazilian research is most internationally successful are: Development economics, mathematical economics, and post Keynesian economics; 3) There is a remarkable difference in academic quality among the departments; 4) The performance of departments strongly depends on the individual excellence of a very small number of people. These findings suggest that academic productivity in Brazil is poor when evaluated by international criteria. As a policy prescription it is recommended that economics departments in Brazil should establish international publications as a target for their members.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney in its series Working Paper Series with number 100.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2000
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as: Faria, J. R., 2000, "The Research Output of Academic Economists in Brazil", Economia Aplicada, 4(1), 95–113.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.uts.edu.au/about/uts-business-school/finance
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A11 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Role of Economics; Role of Economists
- D29 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Other
- I29 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fox, Kevin J & Milbourne, Ross, 1999. "What Determines Research Output of Academic Economists?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(230), pages 256-67, September.
- Granger, Clive W.J., 1997. "The ET Interview: Professor Clive Granger," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(02), pages 253-303, April.
- Carmichael, H Lorne, 1988. "Incentives in Academics: Why Is There Tenure?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(3), pages 453-72, June.
- Graves, Philip E & Marchand, James R & Thompson, Randal, 1982. "Economics Departmental Rankings: Research Incentives, Constraints, and Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1131-41, December.
- Richard Dusansky & Clayton J. Vernon, 1998. "Rankings of U.S. Economics Departments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 157-170, Winter.
- Liebowitz, S J & Palmer, J P, 1984. "Assessing the Relative Impacts of Economic Journals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 77-88, March.
- Francisco Cribari-Neto & Mark J. Jensen & Alvaro C. Novo, 1997.
"Research in Econometric Theory: Quantitative and Qualitative Productivity Rankings,"
9711001, EconWPA, revised 04 Mar 1998.
- Cribari-Neto, Francisco & Jensen, Mark J. & Novo, lvaro A., 1999. "Research In Econometric Theory: Quantitative And Qualitative Productivity Rankings," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(05), pages 719-752, October.
- Faria, Joao Ricardo, 1998. "The Economics of Witchcraft and the Big Eye Effect," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(4), pages 537-46.
- Issler, João Victor & Pillar, Tatiana Caldas de Lima Aché, 2002. "Mensurando a produção científica internacional em economia de pesquisadores e departamentos brasileiros," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 454, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- murat cokgezen, 2005. "Publication Performance Of Economists And Economics Departments In Turkey (1999-2003)," General Economics and Teaching 0503007, EconWPA, revised 07 Jul 2005.
- Issler, João Victor & Ferreira, Rachel Couto, 2003.
"Avaliando Pesquisadores e Departamentos de Economia no Brasil a partir de Citações Internacionais,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
500, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Issler, João Victor & Ferreira, Rachel Couto, 2004. "Avaliando pesquisadores e departamentos de economia no Brasil a partir de citações internacionais," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 550, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- ÇOKGEZEN , Murat, 2013. "Publication performance of economists and economics departments in Turkey (2006–2011): An Update and Comparison," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 13(3), pages 95-106.
- Alan Barrett & Brian Lucey, 2003. "An Analysis of the Journal Article Output of Irish-based Economists, 1970 to 2001," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 34(2), pages 109-143.
- Martin Gregor & Ondrej Schneider, 2005. "The World is Watching: Rankings of Czech and Slovak Economics Departments (in English)," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 55(11-12), pages 518-530, November.
- Murat �okgezen, 2006. "Publication Performance of Economists and Economics Departments in Turkey (1999-2003)," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 253-265, 07.
- Frank Neri & Joan R. Rodgers, 2006. "Ranking Australian Economics Departments by Research Productivity," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(s1), pages S74-S84, 09.
- Walter Novaes, 2007. "A Pesquisa em Economia no Brasil: Uma avaliação empírica dos conflitos entre quantidade e qualidade," Textos para discussÃ£o 553, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.