The World is Watching: Rankings of Czech and Slovak Economics Departments (in English)
AbstractThis paper discusses the methodology of quantitative measures of research output. The authors illustrate various approaches to the contentious issue of to how to treat co-authored papers, how to best affiliate migrating authors, and how to quantify the quality of economic periodicals. The authors also summarize the main findings from the three papers published in this issue, which are devoted to the quantification of publishing activity of Czech and Slovak economists, and which reveal a high concentration of research activity in only a few institutions in the Czech and Slovak republics and the rather convoluted standards of promotion in Czech universities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences in its journal Finance a uver - Czech Journal of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 55 (2005)
Issue (Month): 11-12 (November)
impact factor; publication; ranking; research capital;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A11 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Role of Economics; Role of Economists
- P2 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Peter Neary & James A. Mirrlees & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Evaluating Economics Research in Europe: An Introduction," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1239-1249, December.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2003.
"Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1346-1366, December.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2001. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics," Discussion Papers in Economics 01/8, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Graves, Philip E & Marchand, James R & Thompson, Randal, 1982. "Economics Departmental Rankings: Research Incentives, Constraints, and Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1131-41, December.
- BAUWENS, Luc & KIRMAN, Alan & LUBRANO, Michel & PROTOPOPESCU, Camelia, 2003.
"Ranking economics departments in Europe: a statistical approach,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003050, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michel Lubrano & Luc Bauwens & Alan Kirman & Camelia Protopopescu, 2003. "Ranking Economics Departments in Europe: A Statistical Approach," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1367-1401, December.
- BAUWENS, Luc & KIRMAN, Alan & LUBRANO, Michel & PROTOPOPESCU, Camelia, . "Ranking economics departments in Europe: a statistical approach," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1694, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simon Hix, 2004. "A Global Ranking of Political Science Departments," Political Studies Review, Political Studies Association, vol. 2(3), pages 293-313.
- Ian King, 2002.
"Quality versus quantity: Ranking research records of economics departments in New Zealand,"
New Zealand Economic Papers,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 97-112.
- Ian King, 2001. "Quality versus quantity: Ranking research records of economics departments in New Zealand," New Zealand Economic Papers, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 240-252.
- Paulo Guimaraes, 2001. "The state of Portuguese research in economics: an anlysis based on publications in international journals," NIMA Working Papers 15, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Joao Ricardo Faria, 2000. "The Research Output of Academic Economists in Brazil," Working Paper Series 100, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Josef Basl & Daniel Munich & Oleg Sidorkin, 2009. "Publication Productivity of Czech Sociology in Scientific Journals Within the Last Decade," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp392, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.