Quality versus quantity: Ranking research records of economics departments in New Zealand
AbstractA comparison of research records of the current members of the 7 major economics departments in New Zealand, from 1990 onwards, using journal quality weights from the Laband and Piette (1994) study. The information, taken from the Econlit database, covers more than 500 economics journals, as of November 2000. 32 different ranking measures are computed. According to 29 of these, the top three departments are Auckland, VUW and Canterbury. By 27 measures, Auckland takes the number one spot, while the relative rankings of VUW and Canterbury, and the remaining departments, depend on the measures used.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal New Zealand Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 36 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RNZP20
Other versions of this item:
- Ian King, 2001. "Quality versus quantity: Ranking research records of economics departments in New Zealand," New Zealand Economic Papers, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 240-252.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baltagi, Badi H., 2007.
"Worldwide Econometrics Rankings: 1989 2005,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(05), pages 952-1012, October.
- Martin Gregor & Ondrej Schneider, 2005. "The World is Watching: Rankings of Czech and Slovak Economics Departments (in English)," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 55(11-12), pages 518-530, November.
- David L. Anderson & John Tressler, 2008. "Research Output in New Zealand Economics Department 2000-2006," Working Papers in Economics 08/05, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
- David L. Anderson & John Tresler, 2008. "An Analysis of New Zealand Economists' Research Output 2000-2006," Working Papers in Economics 08/20, University of Waikato, Department of Economics, revised 31 Dec 2008.
- Sinha, Dipendra & Macri, Joseph, 2007.
"How Much Influence Do Economics Professors Have on Rankings? The Case of Australia and New Zealand,"
2885, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joseph Macri & Dipendra Sinha, 2010. "How much influence do economics professors have on rankings? The case of Australia and New Zealand," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(12), pages 1559-1567.
- Sinha, Dipendra & Macri, Joseph & McAleer, Michael, 2007. "On the Robustness of Alternative Rankings Methodologies: Australian and New Zealand Economics Departments, 1988-2002," MPRA Paper 2881, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joseph Macri & Michael McAleer & Dipendra Sinha, 2009. "On the Robustness of Alternative Rankings Methodologies For Australian and New Zealand Economics Departments," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-660, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- David L. Anderson & John Tressler, 2009. "The Excellence in Research for Australia Scheme: An Evaluation of the Draft Journal Weights for Economics," Working Papers in Economics 09/07, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.