Worldwide Econometrics Rankings: 1989 2005
AbstractThis paper updates Baltagi s (2003, Econometric Theory 19, 165 224) rankings of academic institutions by publication activity in econometrics over the period 1989 1999 to the period 1989 2005. This ranking is based on 16 leading international journals that publish econometrics articles. It is compared with the prior rankings by Hall (1987, Econometric Theory 3, 171 194; 1990, Econometric Theory 6, 1 16) for the period 1980 1988. In addition, a list of the top 150 individual producers of econometrics in these 16 journals over this 17-year period is provided. This is done for theoretical econometrics and also for all contributions in econometrics. Sensitivity analysis is provided using (i) alternative weighting factors given to the 16 journals taking into account impact citations, excluding self-citations, size and age of the journal, (ii) alternative time intervals, namely, 2000 2005, 1995 2005, and 1989 2005, (iii) alternative ranking using the number of articles published in these journals, (iv) separate rankings for both institutions and individuals by journal, (v) rankings for institutions and individuals based on publications in three core econometrics journals.I thank Peter C.B. Phillips for entrusting me with this study and P.M. Kisor for her research assistance. Also, I thank three referees for their helpful comments and suggestions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 23 (2007)
Issue (Month): 05 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Other versions of this item:
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Dusansky & Clayton J. Vernon, 1998. "Rankings of U.S. Economics Departments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 157-170, Winter.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Laurent Linnemer, 1999.
"La publication d’articles de recherche en économie en France,"
99-68, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Pierre-Philippe COMBES & Laurent LINNEMER, 2001. "La publication d'articles de recherche en économie en France," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 62, pages 5-47.
- Michel Lubrano & Luc Bauwens & Alan Kirman & Camelia Protopopescu, 2003.
"Ranking Economics Departments in Europe: A Statistical Approach,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1367-1401, December.
- BAUWENS, Luc & KIRMAN, Alan & LUBRANO, Michel & PROTOPOPESCU, Camelia, 2003. "Ranking economics departments in Europe: a statistical approach," CORE Discussion Papers 2003050, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & KIRMAN, Alan & LUBRANO, Michel & PROTOPOPESCU, Camelia, . "Ranking economics departments in Europe: a statistical approach," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1694, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dolado, Juan José & García-Romero, Antonio & Zamarro, Gema, 2003. "Publishing performance in economics: Spanish rankings (1990-1999)," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3217, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Liebowitz, S J & Palmer, J P, 1984. "Assessing the Relative Impacts of Economic Journals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 77-88, March.
- Graves, Philip E & Marchand, James R & Thompson, Randal, 1982. "Economics Departmental Rankings: Research Incentives, Constraints, and Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1131-41, December.
- Cribari-Neto, Francisco & Jensen, Mark J. & Novo, lvaro A., 1999.
"Research In Econometric Theory: Quantitative And Qualitative Productivity Rankings,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(05), pages 719-752, October.
- Francisco Cribari-Neto & Mark J. Jensen & Alvaro C. Novo, 1997. "Research in Econometric Theory: Quantitative and Qualitative Productivity Rankings," Econometrics 9711001, EconWPA, revised 04 Mar 1998.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2003.
"Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1346-1366, December.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2001. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics," Discussion Papers in Economics 01/8, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Ian King, 2002.
"Quality versus quantity: Ranking research records of economics departments in New Zealand,"
New Zealand Economic Papers,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 97-112.
- Ian King, 2001. "Quality versus quantity: Ranking research records of economics departments in New Zealand," New Zealand Economic Papers, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 240-252.
- repec:ner:louvai:info:hdl:2078.1/23078 is not listed on IDEAS
- D J Smyth & A J Smyth, 2001. "The Research Output of United Kingdom Economics Departments: Some League Tables," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 6(2), pages 79-85, September.
- R. F. Lucas, 1995. "Contributions to Economics Journals by the Canadian Economics Profession, 1981-90," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(4a), pages 945-60, November.
- J. Peter Neary & James A. Mirrlees & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Evaluating Economics Research in Europe: An Introduction," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1239-1249, December.
- Jin, Jang C & Yau, Louis, 1999. "Research Productivity of the Economics Profession in East Asia," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 37(4), pages 706-10, October.
- Robin Hogarth & Emre Soyer, 2010. "Econometrics and decision making: Effects of presentation mode," Economics Working Papers 1204, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Robin Hogarth & Emre Soyer, 2010. "Econometrics and Decision Making: Effects of Presentation Mode," Working Papers 426, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Soyer, Emre & Hogarth, Robin M., 2012. "The illusion of predictability: How regression statistics mislead experts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 695-711.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.