Testing for Time Dependence in Parameters
AbstractThis paper proposes a new test based on a Fourier series expansion to approximate the unknown functional form of a nonlinear time-series model. The test specifically allows for structural breaks, seasonal parameters and time-varying parameters. The test is shown to have evry good size and power properties. However, it is not especially good in detecting nonlinearity in variables. As such, the test can help determine whether an observed rejection of the joint null hypothesis of linearity and time invariant parameters is due to time-varying coefficients of a nonliearity in variables.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney in its series Research Paper Series with number 58.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.business.uts.edu.au/qfrc/index.html
More information through EDIRC
time varying parameters; fourier-series; nuisance parameters;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Barnett & A. Ronald Gallant & Melvin J. Hinich & Jochen A. Jungeilges & Daniel T. Kaplan & Mark J. Jensen, 2012.
"A Single-Blind Controlled Competition Among Tests For Nonlinearity And Chaos,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
201219, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2012.
- Barnett, William A. & Gallant, A. Ronald & Hinich, Melvin J. & Jungeilges, Jochen A. & Kaplan, Daniel T. & Jensen, Mark J., 1997. "A single-blind controlled competition among tests for nonlinearity and chaos," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 157-192.
- William A. Barnett & A. Ronald Gallant & Melvin J. Hinich & Jochen A. Jungeilges & Daniel T. Kaplan & Mark J. Jensen, 1996. "A Single-Blind Controlled Competition among Tests for Nonlinearity and Chaos," Econometrics 9602005, EconWPA, revised 20 Sep 1996.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989.
"The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Perron, P, 1988. "The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis," Papers 338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Herwartz, Helmut, 1996. "Specification of varying coefficient time series models via generalized flexible least squares," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 261-290, January.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1999.
" Testing for Linearity,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(5), pages 551-76, December.
- Engle, Robert F, 1974.
"Band Spectrum Regression,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 15(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Robert B. Davies, 2002. "Hypothesis testing when a nuisance parameter is present only under the alternative: Linear model case," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(2), pages 484-489, June.
- Tan, Hui Boon & Ashley, Richard, 1999. "Detection And Modeling Of Regression Parameter Variation Across Frequencies," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(01), pages 69-83, March.
- Ludlow, Jorge & Enders, Walter, 2000. "Estimating non-linear ARMA models using Fourier coefficients," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 333-347.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Souza, Geraldo, 1991. "On the asymptotic normality of Fourier flexible form estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 329-353, December.
- Stinchcombe, Maxwell B. & White, Halbert, 1998. "Consistent Specification Testing With Nuisance Parameters Present Only Under The Alternative," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(03), pages 295-325, June.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Tom Doan, . "APGRADIENTTEST: RATS procedure to perform Andrews-Ploberger Structural Break Test for GARCH/Maximum Likelihood," Statistical Software Components RTS00007, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "REGHBREAK: RATS procedure to perform structural break test with bootstrapped p-values," Statistical Software Components RTS00176, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "APBREAKTEST: RATS procedure to implement Andrews-Ploberger Structural Break Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00006, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991.
"Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis,"
RCER Working Papers
296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996. "Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Franses, Philip Hans, 1996. "Periodicity and Stochastic Trends in Economic Time Series," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774549.
- Lee, Tae-Hwy & White, Halbert & Granger, Clive W. J., 1993.
"Testing for neglected nonlinearity in time series models : A comparison of neural network methods and alternative tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 269-290, April.
- Tom Doan, . "REGWHITENNTEST: RATS procedure to perform White neural network test on regression," Statistical Software Components RTS00183, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "REGRESET: RATS procedure to perform Ramsey RESET test on regression," Statistical Software Components RTS00181, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Michael P. Clements & David F. Hendry, 2001. "Forecasting Non-Stationary Economic Time Series," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262531895, June.
- Jing, Li & Thompson, Henry, 2010.
"A Note on the Oil Price Trend and GARCH Shocks,"
20654, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dimitris, Christopoulos & Miguel, Leon-Ledesma, 2009.
"Smooth Breaks and Nonlinear Mean Reversion: Post-Bretton Woods Real Exchange Rates,"
22553, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christopoulos, Dimitris K. & León-Ledesma, Miguel A., 2010. "Smooth breaks and non-linear mean reversion: Post-Bretton Woods real exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1076-1093, October.
- Thanasis Stengos & M. Ege Yazgan, 2012.
"Persistence in Real Exchange Rate Convergence,"
2012-07, University of Guelph, Department of Economics.
- Christopoulos Dimitris K & Leon-Ledesma Miguel A., 2011.
"International Output Convergence, Breaks, and Asymmetric Adjustment,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 15(3), pages 1-33, May.
- Dimitris, Chrsitopoulos & Miguel, Leon-Ledesma, 2009. "International Output Convergence, Breaks, and Asymmetric Adjustment," MPRA Paper 14566, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pascalau, Razvan, 2008.
"Unit Roots Tests with Smooth Breaks: An Application to the Nelson-Plosser Data Set,"
7220, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Razvan Pascalau, 2010. "Unit root tests with smooth breaks: an application to the Nelson-Plosser data set," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(6), pages 565-570.
- Thanasis Stengos & M. Ege Yazgan, 2011.
"Persistence in Convergence,"
Working Paper Series
34_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Enders, Walter & Holt, Matthew T., 2011. "Breaks, bubbles, booms, and busts: the evolution of primary commodity price fundamentals," MPRA Paper 31461, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paulo M.M. Rodrigues & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2009. "The Flexible Fourier Form and Local GLS De-trended Unit Root Tests," Working Papers w200919, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.